Monday, September 10, 2012

Welcome a New Brunswick Neighbor

We are so pleased to welcome an author from one of our favorite dream locations: New Brunswick Canada. Gail MacMillan brings her hero Travis MacDonald from her current Wild Rose Press release, Ghost of Winters Past.
Welcome Gail and Travis, thanks for stopping by!
Travis, what is Ghost of Winters Past about? It’s a romance/murder mystery set at a snowmobile lodge in northern New Brunswick, Canada.
What did you think the first time you saw Michaela Dunn? One big city, bad news lady. Definitely no one I wanted to become involved with.
What was your second thought? Hmmm. This girl knows how to handle herself in the wilderness. She’s got spirit, even if her $300 an ounce perfume makes me sick.
Did you think it was love at first sight? Definitely not. More like nuisance at first sight and how fast can I get rid of her.
What do you like most about Michaela? As I got to know her, I began to admire her spirit, her resourcefulness, her courage, and her sense of humor. The fact that she’s one of the most beautiful women I’ve ever met is just icing on the cake.
How would you describe her? Clever, stubborn, kind, resourceful, brave, and knock a man’s socks off beautiful.
How would she/he describe you? I hope she’s come to see me as more than a wilderness hermit with a grudge against city women. I hope she thinks I’m capable of looking after both of us under most conditions. I hope she thinks I’m reasonably courageous, decently kind, and not entirely without brains. Of course, if she sees me as passably good looking, I’d be pleased.
What made you choose land acquisition as a career? I thought I could do what was best for areas acquired by big corporations. I’d hope to prevent destruction of natural resources by using environmentally sensitive methods.
What is your biggest fear? At first it was more that I’d never get rid of Michaela ; later, it was that I might lose her.
How do you relax? I’m a musher. I spend time driving my dog team.
Who is your favorite fictional character and why? Probably Rhett Butler. He knew how to handle fascinating, stubborn, beautiful women, didn’t he.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? Be true to yourself.

Now it's Kat and Veronica's turn to ask author Gail: What movies or books have had an impact on your writing? Hmmm. Hard to say. I’m a maverick when it comes to writing. I don’t model myself on any one or any particular type of book. I do love mysteries. M. C. Beaton, Sue Owens Wright, Agatha Christie, Rhys Bowen, Maureen Jennings. But none of my writings in any way resemble the works of these talented ladies.
Tell us a bit about your publisher. How did you hear about them? What influenced your decision to submit to them. I can’t remember exactly where I heard about The Wild Rose Press. I think a friend may have mentioned the company. Anyhow, I submitted a manuscript to one of their editors and it was accepted.
Tell us a bit about the submission process. How long did it take from query to release? Over the years I’ve worked for a number of book publishers but The Wild Rose has been one of the best. The turnaround time from submission to acceptance (or rejection) is excellent, usually around 30days. Once accepted, an editor soon begins the first edit and the process moves at a very timely rate from then to release date, often as quickly as six months. The editors and executives at The Wild Rose Press are professionals all the way. I’m most grateful.

To learn more about Gail MacMillan and the stories she creates go to: www.gailmacmillan.ca
To purchase Ghost of Winters Past, go to: www.thewildrosepress.com or Amazon.com.

8 comments:

  1. Loved this interview! Loved learning more about Gail, too. A musher? Sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Murdoch Mysterys on TV by Maureen Jennings! I've never had the time to read the books, yet, But I will. That said, I've already got your book, Gail and I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading the interview with your hero, Gail, I'm off to by your book! Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview Gail! I have never met you (not yet anyway!), but I feel like I know you now. Im looking forward to reading the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best of luck with your release. Interesting interview. A musher, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful interview, Gail. I feel pretty doggoned honored to be mentioned in the same sentence with the likes of Agatha Christie, M.C. Beaton, and the other great authors you mentioned. I can't wait to read GHOST OF WINTERS PAST. It sounds like a book I'll really enjoy. Congratulations! You are an inspiration to every writer.

    Sue
    www.sueowenswrightcom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Gail, this is quite an interesting interview. Best of luck with your book. Sounds like you'll do good with it.

    Okay... I have to echo the others... a musher? That's a new word in my vocabulary. :)

    Blessings, Renee-Ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a fascinating book, Gail. Congratulations on bringing your story to us.

    ReplyDelete