Sunday, October 21, 2012

Meet Bob Doerr

Award winning author Bob Doerr grew up in a military family, graduated from the Air Force Academy, and had a career of his own in the Air Force. Bob specialized in criminal investigations and counterintelligence gaining significant insight to the worlds of crime, espionage and terrorism. His work brought him into close coordination with the security agencies of many different countries and filled his mind with the fascinating plots and characters found in his books today. His education credits include a Masters in International Relations from Creighton University. A full time author, his fifth mystery/thriller, No One Else to Kill, will be released later this year. Two of his books were selected as finalists for the Eric Hoffer Award, and Loose Ends Kill was awarded the 2011 Silver medal for Fiction/mystery by the Military Writers Society of America. He lives in Garden Ridge, Texas, with Leigh, his wife of 39 years.


Now that we've learned a bit about today's guest, Bob Doerr, let's chat with Jim West, protagonist from Bob's book No One Else to Kill a November release from TotalRecall Publications.

Where are you from Jim? While I have lived in many parts of the world, I’m from a small city in New Mexico, Clovis. That is where I currently reside, too.
What is No One Else to Kill about? This book recounts the frightening handful of days I recently spent in the Pecos Wilderness. I had the bad luck of timing a trip to a small lodge that happened to coincide with a couple of murders. Mix in a small group of quirky guests at the lodge, and you can see why I thought it was a strange weekend.
What made you choose private investigations as a career? Actually, that’s what a lot of people think I do, but I’m not a private investigator. I’m just a retired Air Force investigator, who happens to get sucked into the most confounding murder investigations. I do a few lectures at colleges, but mostly I’m just trying to be left alone.
Knowing what you know now, if you had it to do over again, would you like to be doing something different? No. I had a lot of personal reasons for retiring from the military when I did and moving back to New Mexico. I think I’m finally getting a handle on my life again.
What is your biggest fear? That fate has other plans for me. Since my retirement, it seems that murder and mayhem have followed me around. My plans for a peaceful retirement and to be left alone have been shot to hell, no pun intended.
Who is your favorite fictional character and why? I have so many it’s hard to pick only one. Maybe today I’ll pick Hercules Poirot. I’ve always been a fan of using one’s little grey cells over violence, but ask me tomorrow and I might pick Travis McGee.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? Be persistent. A persistent person’s success begins where most people accept failure.
It's out turn to quiz Bob: Which writer or character[s] have had a major impact on your writing? I enjoy the writing styles of the mystery writers I read when I was younger, like Raymond Chandler and John D. McDonald. I like books that seem to tell you a story.
With regard to research, where did you start for this novel? I really didn’t have to do too much research for this book. I’ve been to the area before, so I used a few New Mexico travel books to refresh my memories.
Did that [the research] lead you down different paths, thereby changing the original concept of the story? No, but it did help me refine my concept and focus on one specific region in the state.
Now, for a blurb of Bob's story:
No One Else to Kill is the fifth book in the Jim West series. In this book, Jim West travels to a small, remote hunting lodge in the Pecos Wilderness area in New Mexico to rendezvous with an old friend and do some hiking. His friend stands him up, and Jim is about to return home when a murder occurs in the lodge. Law enforcement jumps in, and Jim’s early departure plans are scrubbed. When a second murder occurs less than twenty four hours later, things really start to get dicey. Both crimes were intricately planned to mislead the authorities, no one appears to have a motive for the killings, and everyone has an alibi. Up against a wall with time running out, the deputy-in-charge asks West to be their man on the inside, but West is adamant that this is not his case to solve. Since his retirement from the Air Force, however, Fate has had her own plans for West. Why should this be any different?
Here is what Holli Castillo, award winning author of Gumbo Justice and Jambalaya Justice, had to say about No One Else to Kill: “. . . In the world of mysteries, Doerr’s protagonist stands out as a unique foil, a man with the skills and knowledge to solve a murder, but a burning desire to keep a low profile and avoid attention. Jim West is perfectly flawed, reluctant, and extremely likeable. An edge-of-your-seat whodunnit, No One Else to Kill is a page turner that will keep readers guessing until the end . . .”
Tell us a bit about your publisher, Bob. How did you hear about them? What influenced your decision to submit to them? My publisher is TotalRecall Publications, an independent publisher based out of Friendswood, TX. In the midst of my sending out dozens of query letters, I heard about them from another author. My timing was good as TotalRecall was just branching into Fiction. Up to that point they had primarily focused on non-fiction publications.
Tell us a bit about their submission process. How long did it take from query to release? Their submission process is much like any other small, independent publisher. Send them a query letter and keep your fingers crossed. Once they accepted my book, it took about four months for it to get released.
To learn more about author Bob Doerr and the stories he creates go to: www.bobdoerr.com .
To purchase No One Else to Kill or any of his earlier Jim West mystery/thrillers via his website or directly through www.amazon.com or www.B&N.com or at select bookstores near you.
We thank Bob very much for visiting us this week and wish him many many sales!
Veronica and Kat


3 comments:

  1. Nothing better than a professional who wants to be left alone pressed into service. Best of luck with the series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Bob, terrific interview. Loved learning more about you and your protagonist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margo and Marilyn--
    thanks so much for stopping by. Bob's 'hero' sounds like someone we'd like to meet and spend more time with. We appreciate your comments.
    Kat and Veronica

    ReplyDelete