Monday, October 29, 2012

Welcome Victorian author, Rachel Brimble

This morning we are pleased to have a member of TWRP's rose garden and alum of the Class of '85, Rachel Brimble, who has brought a devil of a man with her, Joseph Jacob. Welcome Rach and Joseph!
Joseph, what is Love’s Debt about? It is a Victorian romance between Milly Shepherd and myself, two people fighting poverty but in entirely different ways and circumstances. When I meet Milly you could say I was down on my luck having struggled to keep my father afloat due to his gambling. He brought my family down from riches to rags. Milly, on the other hand, rose her family up and will continue to do so forever as far as I can tell. Nothing stands in her way…not even me!
What did you think the first time you saw Milly? Who is this woman? That was the first thought that went through my head.
And your second thought? I had to know her, speak to her, touch her…I was mesmerized from the very first moment and still am now.
Did you think it was love at first sight? Without doubt – she’s a beautiful woman inside and out. Her goodness, her tenacity and fire shine from inside her. Though she doesn’t realize it, there isn’t a man who walks by Milly and not turn for a second glance
What do you like most about her? Her goodness – she’s strong as an ox and as stubborn as a mule, but everything she does is grounded in good. She might give you a slap up the head or refuse you a second serving at the table, but you can guarantee both actions were needed at the time for your own good, ha ha!
How would you describe her? Strong, sassy, honest and good….with the faintest shadow of insecurity running through her. That’s what I’m here for. I’ll make her see her entire world is going to be all right…
How would she describe you? On which day? Ha ha! If I’m in her good books or in bed…then I’d like to think she’d say I was the best bloke in the world. If I’m in her bad books or not seeing to something that needs doing, she’s says she’ll kick me out with the trash. Deep inside though? That girl loves the bones of me…I hope!
What made you choose bartender and the docks as a profession? Ahh, now then, you’ll have to read my story to know that. Let’s just say it’s not by choice, the paths we find ourselves on sometimes. We can only do God’s bidding and make the most of it while we learn our lessons.
What is your biggest fear? Losing Milly or not making her happy – my entire world changed the day I met that woman. She is the single, best thing in my life. I have no idea what I’ve done to deserve her but I’ll spend my life keeping a smile on her face. That’s a promise.
How do you relax? That is far, FAR too personal a question for me to answer…like I said, I like to keep Milly happy.
Who is your favorite fictional character and why? Probably the Artful Dodger from Dicken’s Oliver – that kid reminds me of what it takes to survive in this world. Maybe his stealing and pilfering aren’t the best example to follow but he’s doing what he has to do, with a big lump of love thrown in. I like to think I try to do the same.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? Don’t risk pride before a fall.
It's time to learn a bit about our author guest. Where are you from, Rachel? A small market town in South West England, near the famous City of Bath. I lived for the first twenty-seven years of my life in Bristol, England where my latest story is set. It is a famous maritime city that was teeming with ships, sailors and dockers during the 18th and 19th centuries. It was inevitable I set a book there one day.
What movies or books have had an impact on your writing? Wow, there are just too many to list! I read voraciously and watch TV and movies in much the same way. I find inspiration in almost every book, whatever the era. The thing I love about writing romance is that everyone can relate to it. Young, old, male or female, everyone has experienced love and/or loss.
Whether I am writing a contemporary or historical novel, love is an emotion that is global and never changing. Whether a person falls in love in 1712 or 2012, their hearts would have endured the same sensations, hurt and joy.
Tell us a bit about your publisher. How did you hear about them?
What influenced your decision to submit to them? I learned about The Wild Rose Press through a writer friend in the US that I had been talking to for a while. I was getting rejected over and over in the UK so she suggested I try a new publisher, which was getting more and more good things said about it. That was in 2006 – I haven’t looked back since.
Tell us a bit about the submission process. How long did it take from query to release? Just recently I signed with Harlequin and Kensington but I will never forget The Wild Rose Press or their belief in me. I hope to continue to write novellas for them for the foreseeable future. I have three novels and two novellas with TWRP and each time the submission process has been fluid, fun and educational. I have learned so much from each of my editors! In my experience the process has taken around ten months from submission to release.
You signed with both Harlequin AND Kensington? Fabulous! Many, many congratulations—and thanks for visiting us today.
To learn more about Rachel Brimble and the stories she creates go to:

7 comments:

  1. Rachel and Karonica,

    Fun interview. And tremendous congratulations on the successes you're having, Rachel. I'm proud to be one of your fellow TWRP and Class of '85er!

    Write On!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The setting for this story sounds so unique. I like that you tackled the downtrodden end of society. Best wishes for much success with this one, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Margo & Jannine!! (waving madly!)

    I loved writing this book and loved being part of the Class of '85 - I am thrilled to be able to keep writing contemporaries (Harlequin) and Victorian (Kensington) as I was always concerned I would have to pick one, lol!

    Thankfully, I should be able to keep write alternate past and present for the foreseeable!

    Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This will be second I read in December after Nano. I can't wait to read and review it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lisa!

    Thanks for dropping by - you are most definitely a loyal follower! :)

    HUGE luck with Nano - that is a challenge and a half!!

    Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks to all who have stopped by--the ever faithful Margo and Jannine as well as Lisa who is a new and frequent visitor to this blog.
    Kat and Veronica

    ReplyDelete