Monday, March 4, 2013

Can we Clone This Demon Slayer?

Today 2 Wild Women Authors are delighted to welcome author Melissa Fox and Conor O’ Shea, demon slaying hero of “Wraith Redeemed”, a debut paranormal romance release from The Wild Rose Press.
What is Wraith Redeemed about, Conor? Well, it’s about how I was an idiot. A well-meaning idiot, but…yeah. A mistake I made when I was young, dumb, and didn’t know any better, and how when I grew up and realized what I’d done, I determined to fix it. Oh, and save Merry’s life from the reason I left her in the first place. Hordes of murderous demons. So you know, reunions, second chances, fighting, saving lives, begging for forgiveness, all that good stuff.
Makes sense to us. What did you think the first time you saw Merry?
Ha. I don’t remember. I was three. Merry has been part of my life, every part, right up until my twenty-first birthday. That’s when I found out what I was, the danger I put her in. But seeing her again for the first time after eight long years, after hurting her and leaving her? Indescribable, like a blade to the gut, like having your soul ripped out and dangled in front of you, taunting you with every mistake you’ve ever made, tempting you with everything you’ve ever wanted. Glorious and terrifying.
Sounds delicious. What was your second thought? Never again. Never losing her, never hurting her, never being apart from her, no matter what. Never giving up. Never again.
Did you think it was love at first sight? I’ve always known I was hers just as deeply as she’s mine, even before my first real memory of her. She’s my heart, my soul, my spirit. Everything, all the time, which is why I thought I had to leave—to keep her safe. Alive.
You're killing us, Conor. Do you have a clone or two? Sorry, we digressed. What do you like most about Merry? Her spirit. It just shines through in everything she does, everything about her.
Aww. How would you describe her? Beautiful—so beautiful—inside and out. Strong, intelligent, kind. Hopefully, I can add forgiving to that list, too.
How would she describe you? Stubborn, hard-headed, know-it-all jackass—until I can get her to forgive me—but then, maybe amazingly handsome, charming, can’t-live-without-him irresistible. Ha.
What made you choose the profession of demon slaying? I didn’t choose it No choice involved. Demon slaying is in my blood, my ancestry, my very DNA. If I had a choice…but I don’t. I didn’t. I was born a Wraith warrior, and while I definitely want to change the circumstances surrounding it, knowing about it and finding out about it, I can honestly say I would ever want to do anything else. The powers, the ability, fighting evil is just about every kid’s superhero dream, and I get to live that part. It’s the sacrifices that come with it that are hard to bear sometimes, but that’s life.
Wow. What is your biggest fear? What I am—what I do—bringing harm to those I love. To Merry.
With all that preying on your mind, how do you relax? I train and condition, practice with my blades. Ride Brimstone. Read when I get a chance.
Who is your favorite fictional character and why? Odysseus, because of his leaving home and hearth to do battle, his travels, travails, and finally finding his way home to the ones he loves.
A demon slayer who reads the classics. A girl can't ask for more. What is the best piece of advice you ever received? Well, my favorite and most-repeated piece of advice comes from my good friend and fellow warrior Jonas Grey, who loves to tell me “Don’t f*ck this up.” Always a good thing to keep in mind, yeah? But the advice that has had the most profound impact on me is listen and learn from the Elders, those that have more knowledge and experience. Took me a while to realize how important that is, but it’s a lesson I’ve learned well and taken to heart.

With that said, it's Melissa's turn in the hot seat. What movies or books have had an impact on your writing? I read and watch everything, whatever strikes me as interesting depending on what kind of mood I’m in. The ones that have the most impact are those that yank on my emotions and feelings, awe and wonder, delight, angst, fear, keep me thinking about them long after I’ve finished. Those kind of strong reactions are such a thrill and always make me wonder “how can I do that? What created such a strong, resonant response in me, and how can I bring that to others through my work?”
Tell us a bit about your publisher. What influenced your decision to submit to them? My publisher is The Wild Rose Press. While I was working on my manuscript, I did a lot of research into all the different options available nowadays for writers. I decided on a small press, wanting support and to gain experience as I plunged into the world of writing and publishing. Then, I did more research into which small presses offered what I was looking for, that complimented and accepted my type of story, writing, personality, support, reputation, works they published, experience. I settled on a couple and sent submissions. I was asked for fulls by a couple, but The Wild Rose Press impressed me with their communication, support, the manuscript evaluation process, their company. I was beyond thrilled when my editor, Eilidh MacKenzie, sent me an email offering a contract.
Tell us a bit about the submission process. How long did it take from query to release? I sent my original query to TWRP at the end of November 2011. I heard back within only a few days, and got the same prompt response throughout the submission process, with dates to expect replies by, and every one was upheld. The contract offer came mid-March 2012, the Kindle version was released through Amazon KDP at the end of October, and the official release date in all formats on February 15, 2013. I learned so much through the process and have been fortunate to work with a wonderful editor in Eilidh. That experience has been priceless.

It sounds to us like Wild Rose is lucky to have such an imaginative and inventive author like you! Good luck with sales on “Wraith Redeemed” and all future books, Melissa!!

Kat and Veronica

To learn more about Melissa Fox and the stories she creates go to:
To purchase WRAITH REDEEMED, go to: The Wild Rose Press; Amazon; Barnes & Noble; iBook
for an extra added attraction, Melissa says:
I’m giving away one copy of WRAITH REDEEMED in the winner’s choice of format and one $25 Amazon Gift Certificate. Entries open on Rafflecopter through March 15, 2013.

Rafflecopter embed code for blogsite:

<a id="rc-d1728c1" class="rafl" href="http://www.rafflecopter.com/rafl/display/d1728c1/" rel="nofollow">a Rafflecopter giveaway</a>
<script src="//d12vno17mo87cx.cloudfront.net/embed/rafl/cptr.js"></script>

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for having Conor and me on the blog today, ladies! Really great questions and fun sharing the answers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Conor definitely seems to be a keeper. Hope Merry sees it that way too. Entertaining interview, ladies. Thanks for sharing. Oh, and, BTW Melissa, The Wild Rose Press et al are good people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree one hundred percent! Everyone at The Wild Rose Press has been so great, from Rhonda and RJ, Lisa in Marketing, my editor Eilidh, to the amazing community of authors and readers. Thanks, Margo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your debut release, Melissa! Conor sounds divine. Did you fall in love with him? I've fallen in love with a few of my MC's I've created.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa :) I think we do fall in love with our heroes right along with our heroines! Conor, though, he's definitely the one all the heroes in my head give the most respect to, for some reason. That sounds weird, now that I read it...

      Delete
  5. Yikes, I suspect I may have a crush on Conor. Awesome post, Melissa - thanks for sharing your experience as an author!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you stopped by and enjoyed a peek at Conor, Jasmine! Thank you.

      Delete
  6. Melissa, Conor sounds like a very worthy hero. Congratulations on your new release!
    Jana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jana! Thanks for the congrats and I appreciate you checking out Conor's interview.

    ReplyDelete