Monday, June 10, 2013

Meet a Rising Star

AN IMPOSSIBLE JOURNEY
The last thing Addy Dawson remembers is a blazing inferno and freezing river water overtaking her lungs. When she awakens, Addy finds herself on a strange, alien planet, trapped in a cell with no doors, no windows-- and to her horror-- a naked warrior who claims to be her mate. 

AN UNDENIABLE PASSION
An alpha gladiator, Max is forced to breed and produce the finest specimens for the Survival Race, a deadly blood sport created by the alien rulers of Hyborea. To rebel means torture-or worse-yet Max refuses to become the animal his captors want him to be. But their jailors will not be denied, and soon Addy and Max find themselves unwilling players in this cruel game. Pushed to the limit, they will risk everything for the chance at a life free from captivity. And though fate brought them together as adversaries, Max and Addy will discover that when they're together, there's nothing in the universe that can stop them.
Well gee. What more can we say to that? Except . . . welcome to author K.M. Fawcett and alpha gladiator Max, from “CAPTIVE”, book 1 in the Survival Race series, a June release from Grand Central Publishing’s digital imprint ForeverYours. Good morning, K.M. and Max.
Where are you from, Max? I’m originally from the United States, but fifteen years ago was brought to planet Hyborea and forced to train for the Survival Race - a blood sport where the last gladiator alive wins.
What is “CAPTIVE” about? It is the story of how two people trapped on an alien planet save each other. I may have taught Addy how to survive, but she taught me how to live.
What did you think the first time you saw Addy? I thought I was going to have a great night of sex. After all, I’m an alpha gladiator stud, and we were trapped naked together in a breeding box. Just my luck that the feisty little woman the Hyboreans wanted me to mate with had no idea where she was or what had happened to her.
And your second thought? We’ll, after she kneed me in the groin instead of returning my kiss, I thought she was insane. Turns out she didn’t know she’d been abducted from Earth yet, and was scared out of her mind.
Did you think it was love at first sight? When I first saw her, I thought she was beautiful. Hell, what naked woman isn’t? But I never thought I’d fall in love with her. I’d never thought I’d fall in love period.
What do you like most about her? I love her courage and her fire. She reminds me of how I used to be before the Hyboreans broke my spirit.
How would you describe her? She’s courageous, determined, and a fighter. But there is also a vulnerability that she tries to hide.
How would she describe you? Probably as a man who’d lost his humanity. I’d been abused for so long, I didn’t know how to be anything but an animal. When I’m with Addy, though, I’m different somehow. She tames my inner beast and makes me see the man I still am inside.
What made you choose gladiator as a career? It wasn’t my choice. I was taken, trained to fight, and then thrown into my first Survival Race. If I wanted to live, I had to be the best. It was a matter of survival.
What is your biggest fear? That the Hyboreans will break Addy’s spirit like they broke mine. Witnessing that would kill me.
How do you relax? Unfortunately alpha gladiators don’t relax. We can’t. Someone is always trying to beat me out...for food, for rank, for my life. If I let down my guard, I lose. The only time I can rest is when locked in my cage.
Who is your favorite fictional character and why? I’d have to say Donald Duck, but you’d have to read the story to find out why. Spoilers.
Hah! Great response. What is the best piece of advice you ever received? The best piece of advice I have ever received was from Addy. I can’t tell you what it is though without spoiling our story.
For a bit on our author, keep reading!
K.M. Fawcett was a born romantic. At six years old, she would beg her parents to take her to a restaurant with, “Soft music and candles” where she could drink Shirley Temples and twirl on the dance floor. As she grew, her desire to be whisked into a romantic adventure by a knight in shining armor also grew – to the point of annoying her friends and family. When she received A Knight In Shining Armor (a novel by Jude Deveraux) for her eighteenth birthday, she fell in love…with the romance genre. Now K.M. writes sci-fi/ paranormal romances, and enjoys stories filled with adventure and strong, kick butt heroes and heroines.
She holds the rank of Sandan (3rd degree black belt) in both Isshinryu Karate and in Ryukonkai (Okinawan weapons). She and her husband own Tenchi Isshinryu Karate Dojo in NJ where they teach karate, weapons, and self-defense.

K.M., what movies or books have had an impact on your writing? The book which has had the biggest impact on my writing was A Knight in Shining Armor by Jude Deveraux. That was the first romance novel I read and I loved it! I was hooked on the romance genre after that. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon also had a huge impact on my writing. I love a tortured hero. It was advice I’d read from Diana that made me start writing. She said (paraphrased) that if you want to be a writer, sit down and start writing. So I did.)
Tell us a bit about your publisher. How did you hear about them?
ForeverYours is the digital imprint of Grand Central Publishing. At the time my agent submitted my manuscript to Grand Central, the imprint didn’t exist. I believe it was still in the planning stages. The editors held onto my story knowing it would be a good fit for ForeverYours and when the line opened wanted to place my story there.
What influenced your decision to submit to them? Another publishing house was also interested in CAPTIVE, but I chose to go with ForeverYours as they had the backing of a big house.
Tell us a bit about the submission process. How long did it take from query to release? The submission process took a while. As I said the imprint didn’t exist when we first submitted to them. After signing the contract, it took about a year for the book to be published.
Thank you so much for hosting Max and me on the blog today!
It's been our pleasure—for a number of reasons. You've worked so hard for so long. It's great seeing a long-time writer pal achieve the success she deserves!
Kat and Veronica
To learn more about K.M. Fawcett and the stories she creates go to:

To purchase CAPTIVE, go to Amazon or Barnes and Noble


1 comment: