Monday, September 23, 2013

Welcome Georgie Lee and her Captain

Today Wild Women Authors are pleased to welcome Georgie Lee who brings Captain James Covington, from Engagement of Convenience, a Regency set historical released from Harlequin Historical.
Captain, what did you think the first time you saw Julia? I was stunned when I first saw her while I was hunting in the woods. I’ve never seen a woman riding such a large, dark horse before. Then, when she spoke to me like a common seaman, mistaking me for a poacher, I was irritated.
And your second thought? I had a hunch about who this strange lady might be. I only had to confirm it with my good friend, and her Uncle, Captain George Lewis.
Did you feel it was love at first sight? No, but I was certainly intrigued.
What do you like most about her? I love Julia’s spirit and determination. She doesn’t let anything stop her.
How would you describe her? Julia isn’t like other women, especially with her ability to run a large estate and her determination to carve out a life for herself. She also possesses a love of adventure, just like me and her uncle.
How would she describe you? At first she thought I was a rogue, a typical Navy man who wanted nothing except to dally with a young lady. Later, she learned how loyal I am to those I love and how, like her, I was struggling to create a new life for myself.
What made you choose the Navy as a career? My mother wanted me to study the law but I wasn’t interested. I wanted the adventure and excitement of the sea so I chose the Navy instead.
What is your biggest fear, James? I’m afraid, now that my injury has forced me to resign my commission, of not having a purpose in life. I’ve seen a lot of men come home from the Navy and lose themselves in drink or gambling due to a lack of purpose. I refuse to allow that to happen to me.
Then how do you relax? I enjoy reading and hunting.
Who is your favorite fictional character and why? I haven’t read a great deal of fiction lately, by I did read a number of science book while I was recovering in London. I found the writings of Thomas Jefferson, especially his books on farming to be very interesting.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? George once told me marriage would be a great adventure and that his niece Julia would be the perfect woman to provide that adventure. He was right.
It's Georgie's turn now: What movies or books have had an impact on your writing? When it comes to authors, I lean towards the classics. I look to Oscar Wilde for sharp witty dialogue, W. Somerset Maugham for great insight into characters and D.H. Lawrence for well-developed internal monologue.
Tell us a bit about your publisher. What influenced your decision to submit to them. Engagement of Convenience is published by Harlequin Historical. I have always loved Harlequin Historical books so, when I had the chance to pitch to one of their editors at a mini-conference, I jumped.
Tell us a bit about the submission process; how long did it take from query to release? The manuscript wasn’t accepted right away. I went through a revise and resend with them and it was the revised version which they bought.


Georgie brought along a blurb for further enticement and it's a winner:
Julia Howard longs for the freedom her inheritance will bring her—but with her controlling brother holding the purse strings, she's going to need a most convenient engagement… An encounter in the woods with a dashing stranger couldn't be more timely.

Wounded, his life at sea at an end, Captain James Covington isn't prepared for the dull ache of civilian life. He sees in Julia a fellow adventurous spirit—willing to risk all. Could agreeing to her outrageous proposal help him recapture a reason to live as they face the biggest adventure of all—marriage?

Buy Links

AUTHOR BIO:
A dedicated history and film buff, Georgie Lee loves combining her passion for Hollywood, history and storytelling through romantic fiction. She began writing professionally at a small TV station in San Diego before moving to Los Angeles to work in the interesting but strange world of the entertainment industry.
Her first novel, Lady’s Wager, and her contemporary novella, Rock ‘n’ Roll Reunion are both available from Ellora’s Cave Blush. Labor Relations, a contemporary romance of Hollywood, and Studio Relations, a love story set in 1935 Hollywood, are currently available from Montlake Romance. Hero’s Redemption, a Regency novella, is now available from Carina Press.
When not writing, Georgie enjoys reading non-fiction history and watching any movie with a costume and an accent. Please visit www.georgie-lee.com for more information about Georgie and her novels.

Social Media Links
Twitter: @GeorgieLeeBooks
Website: www.georgie-lee.com

To learn more about Georgie Lee and the stories she creates go to: www.georgie-lee.com
To purchase Engagement of Convenience, go to http://www.harlequin.com/storeitem.html?iid=29031&cid=191

1 comment:

  1. A day late, sorry. What a varied career you have Georgie, publishing wise that is. Your latest effort sounds like a great read.

    ReplyDelete