Monday, October 28, 2013

The Vampire and the Vixen


Today 2 Wild Women Authors are pleased to welcome Debra St. John and Kelsey, heroine of The Vampire and the Vixen, an October release from The Wild Rose Press. Welcome Debra. First, we'll start with Kelsey.
Tell us a bit about The Vampire and the Vixen. I'm a librarian, and I had this great idea to hold a Halloween fundraiser where everyone dressed up as their favorite literary character. At the party, I kind of lost my head and kissed a mysterious stranger dressed as Dracula out on the balcony. Only afterwards did I find out he was my new boss. For most of the story I'm dealing with the consequences of my impulsive action that night. And I also have a sneaking suspicion my sexy new boss is a real vampire.
What did you think the first time you saw Rafe, the hero-boss-maybe vampire? I thought he was the sexiest man I'd ever seen.
And your second thought? What would his mouth feel like on mine?
Did you think it was love at first sight? More like lust at first sight in the beginning.
What do you like most about Rafe? Would you think I'm lying if I said everything? *lol* His dedication, his work ethic, his kindness, his leadership, his easy manner with children...
Always a winning combination in our book! How would you describe him? It's going to sound totally clich├ęd, but tall, dark, and handsome comes to mind. Rafe has soulful brown eyes, sinfully black hair, a voice as smooth and rich as chocolate covered caramel, and when he holds me I can snuggle my head against his shoulder. *sigh*
Ahhh, but how would he describe you? He thinks I worry too much about what other people think. He's probably right.
What made you choose library science as a profession? Libraries are magical places. Filled with so many books it boggles the mind. There's no end to the things you can discover and experience when you immerse yourself in a book. I wanted to be able to share that with others. To encourage and enable them to find their own joy in books.
What is your biggest fear, Kelsey? That people will think I got my promotion because I made out with the boss.
How do you relax? I curl up with a good book, of course! *grin*
Who is your favorite fictional character and why? That's not fair. It's too hard to choose! Which is why for Halloween I dressed as the heroine from the cover of a romance novel. Not a specific one...just all of them in general. Rafe said I played the vixen very well. *wink*
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? My best friend, Tracy, told me I should stop worrying about trivial things like what people were thinking about my promotion and focus on what’s really important, like unearthing the truth about Rafe.
Very nice, Kelsey, thanks. Now it's Debra's turn at bat. What movies or books have had an impact on your writing? I have always been a huge vampire fan. I first fell in love with vampire heroes in Linda Lael Miller's Forever and the Night and the two books that followed. Long before vampires became mainstream and paranormal romance became so popular, she captured my heart with her sexy story. Of course, I'm all for 'modern' vampires, too. I obsess over Stephanie Meyer's Edward and lust right along with Sookie for Charlaine Harris' Eric. At the moment I'm reading Kerrelyn Sparks' "Love at Stake" series. With my love of vampires, it was only a matter of time before I used the theme in a story of my own.
That is great, a lot because Kerrelyn is a past member of our writers' group here in Western New York! What a thrill it is to see a former pal still writing and doing it so well!
Tell us a bit about your publisher. How did you hear about them? What influenced your decision to submit to them. I write for The Wild Rose Press. When I decided to get serious about my writing career, I asked a friend about her publisher. She wasn't thrilled with hers at the time, but had heard good things about TWRP. So, based on her recommendation, I looked them up on line and really liked what I saw.
Tell us a bit about the submission process. I submitted a query and within a couple of days I had a request for a partial. Within a month I had a request for a full. About three months later I was offered my first contract.
How long did it take from query to release? All told, my first book with them went from query to release in less than a year. Depending on the amount of edits and rewrites to be done, I find this to be a general rule there. All of the editors I've worked with (I write for different lines.) have always gotten back to me with a response to a query in less than a day. With The Vampire and the Vixen, the entire process happened at warp speed. I went from query to contract in less than a week!
Yowza; that is warp speed. Sounds like a winner to us. Thanks, Debra for joining us this week. We hope you had as much fun as we did.
Kat and Veronica
To learn more about Debra St. John and the stories she creates go to: www.debrastjohnromance.com
To purchase The Vampire and the Vixen, go to The Wild Rose Press or Amazon.

Here's a little peek at Kelsey and Rafe out on the balcony...
Nights like these are magical, aren’t they?” The words were as soft as the velvety darkness below.
Kelsey nodded. What other than magic could explain how she felt like she knew him, even though they’d never met before? As if their souls and bodies recognized one another, even if their minds didn’t. What else could explain her intense reaction to him? “Rafe. I…” She needed to get back inside before she did something stupid. She hated heroines who were too stupid to live. Kissing this stranger, which every instinct in her being clamored for her to do, put her right in that category. She stepped back.
Warm hands on her shoulders stopped her. “Grown- ups hardly ever get to play dress up. To…pretend…to be someone else for a while. It’s nice, don’t you think?”
“Rafe.”
“Shh.” His silken whisper skittered over her. “Let’s just pretend for a little while longer.” He lowered his head and his lips found hers.


15 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for having Kelsey with you today. She loves talking about Rafe and their romance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rafe is certainly sexy. Loved the book!

    Morgan Mandel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rafe is the kind of man I'd alter my live for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could definitely get used to the night shift with Rafe myself!

      Delete
  4. A sexy man and a library? Perfect combination in my book. Enjoyed your blog and your book. I look forward to reading more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Ashantay!

    Right?! A sexy librarian works for me, too! Glad you enjoyed the story. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm reading this now. It's good and I want to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are enjoying it! Thanks for reading...:)

      Delete
  7. thanks to all who stopped by and took the time to leave a comment. this sounds like such a fun story! We certainly appreciate your business and we know Debra and Kelsey do!
    Kat and Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great interview with Kelsey, Debra. As you know, I'm not into vampires, but pretend ones are okay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Paula, even though you don't share my love for vampires. :)

      Delete
  9. I love that the heroine dressed up as a heroine from a romance novel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had fun with that aspect of the story for sure!

      Delete
  10. Thanks so much for having me, Kat and Veronica. And thanks to everyone who visited and commented.

    ReplyDelete