Monday, January 27, 2014

An Exciting New Trilogy from Kathryn Shay

This week 2 Wild Women Authors is thrilled to have multi-published author and long time friend Kathryn Shay visiting us and sharing about her latest project. Take it away, Kath!


     Thank you so much for having me here to blog about my new trilogy, Portals of Time, three stories about women who come from the future to right the wrongs of society today.
This is my first published paranormal romance but I’ve written 48 contemporary romances and one women’s fiction novel. I have to say it was a risk venturing into a different genre, but for me it was the right thing to do. I loved writing something different—yet with the same dynamics of my usual work. Since all three stories take place in the present (with an extensive look into the future), I think I was able to keep the books classic Kathryn Shay with a twist. I thoroughly enjoyed creating the new world of the future, playing around with language, and at the same time building a great romance and saying something important about society.
Let me tell you about them…
     In JUST IN TIME, Dorian Masters must save the life of research scientist Jess Cromwell by preventing his murder in five months. Cromwell’s work would eventually set the standard for eradicating all carbon emissions. But Dorian has to find the assassin first, while Jess’s brother, Luke, cynical New York cop and exasperating man, seems determined to stand in her way. But the stakes are high and together they race against time to save Jess’s life and the future of mankind.
     I really enjoyed writing Luke and Dorian’s story. They are reluctant lovers, but can’t seem to stay away from each other. When he’s unaware of who she is and when she comes from, her misuse of language makes him crazy, as does her unfamiliarity with ordinary things. (She calls him a holicworker and she’s never seen a live animal.) But I’m sure you’ll enjoy their attraction to each other—and its culmination—when they finally surrender to it.
     In PERFECT TIMING, Celeste Hart, a sensitive, travels to Washington D.C. to sabotage the life’s work of Dr. Alex Lansing. He’s a researcher in the field of sexual performance drugs but has no idea what the long term effects his work will be. Of course they fall in love, but then the issue becomes: Can he forgive her deception when he discovers how and why she’s tricked him?
     I have to confess, Celeste was my favorite heroine in the trilogy. I liked all three books equally, but I adored Celi. She’s innately kind, optimistic and loving. She gets totally involved in the family and as usual, I enjoyed writing the children/adult relationship. And boy was I rooting for her relationship with Alex to work out. As a side note, she’s a sensitive, and feels things much more than normal people. Can you guess how those kisses and love scenes turned out?
     In ANOTHER TIME, anthropologist Alisha Law has accompanied her two colleagues to the present day because she understands the customs, morĂ©s and convoluted language of the 21st century. She resists becoming involved with David Ryan, a local minister who falls hard for her. Problem? There’s no religion in the future, and she’s the ultimate atheist.
     Throughout to first two books, Alisha is organized, objective and stern. For me, it was the most fun to see her change and grow throughout those books, and star in her own. I’ll also admit that David was my favorite hero. I adored him. He’s such a good man, but very real and very human in his feelings for Alisha. I hope you love him as much as I do. Portraying the job of a minister was interesting, too, as were the philosophical discussions throughout all three books.
     The series can be read one book at a time, but I’m hoping readers will scoop up all three and read the entire project.
I’d love to hear from you.
Kathy Shay

Kathryn will be visiting Wild Women Authors again on February 17, 2014 to share more about this fascinating trilogy—and perhaps bring a few characters with her. Kat and I would love to have you stop back and say hey!
Veronica Lynch


8 comments:

  1. Kathy, your new books sound great! I've already purchased Book 1 and can't wait to read it. The perfect antidote to these gray winter days. All the best of luck--Ellen Hegarty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, enjoyed reading your post. You've made your characters sound likable and interesting. I love paranormal romance, needless to say I look forward to reading all three books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy,
    It’s nice of you to answer some questions. (However, I would prefer you send us some heat.)
    My questions are about world building and the effect of the person coming back to change history and the “butterfly effect” that generates.
    Are the protagonists from the future all from the same time, or did you have to build three separate worlds for each book? If the latter, I cannot imagine how you could keep them separate in your mind.
    How much of your future world did you have firmed up before you started writing, and how much of it changed as you wrote? (I can imagine ensuring that something you said on page 189 didn’t contradict something you said on page 41 would be a challenge.)
    All science fiction writers that write time travel have to deal with what happens to the future when you change the past. Did you research how others handled that issue, or work out your own way?
    Thank you for any insight you can provide, Kathy. And, thank you, Kat, for your wonderful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steven,
    Yes, the protagonists are all from the same time. They know each other well and took on the tasks together. You're right, it would be mind-boggling to do it any other way.

    I'm not much of a planner these days like I was when I started writing two decades ago, but I did the world building extensively before I started these books. And, wow, did I have to change things from the beginning to the end of each book, then from book to book. For example, the David that appears in book one had to be changed after I wrote book 3. Also, I'd missed some things I needed to know about the future and had to stop and figure them out.

    As for reading other works and research, I'd taught a science fiction course in high school and had done a whole unit on time travel. It was my favorite reading. I've also watched movies and shows using time travel. I culled theories I liked from them, and added a few details of my own. The good thing about time travel stories is you can pretty much do what you want because when it comes right down to it, we can prove very little about it. :)
    Kathy Shay

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks to all who have stopped by to visit today. Hope to talk to more tomorrow.
    yeah, Kathy, send us some heat!!!
    Kat and Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am fascinated by your relationship with your characters! They are so real to you. You seem to give them free rein and come to admire them as they grow and change.

    Kat and Veronica-- thanks for shifting to a white background-- so much easier to read!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a really wonderful read! I admit, I'm a huge time travel fan, and this book series feels right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I/We shifted to the white background by accident-but admit it is easier to read. Sometimes people and things are put in our path that we should not ignore!
    who knew
    thanks for stopping by Kate and Kim
    Kat and Veronica

    ReplyDelete