Monday, January 20, 2014

Come Tie Down My Heart

Today Wild Women Authors is pleased to welcome Linda Carroll-Bradd who brings Didi Pierpont, from Tie Down My Heart, a November 2013 release from Decadent Publishing. 
DP claims a special place in our hearts as they were the first publisher who took a chance on a short story author.  And don't they do luscious cover art? Yowza! 
But we digress.First up, is Didi. Where are you from? Born and raised just outside of Dallas, Texas.
Tell us a bit about Tie Down My Heart. The story’s about an investigative reporter who persists until she grabs an interview that will prove her journalistic talents and earn her a regular newspaper column. Although Chay would probably say the story’s about a rodeo performer ignoring his physical pain to finish out the season. I do have to admit we’d both be right.
What did you think the first time you saw the hero, Chay? He looked like a battered Native American warrior from another century—all muscle and sinew with a big scar across his chest.
And your second thought? I thought that because he wasn’t the rodeo's star performer might help my chances at getting his okay for a desperately needed interview. I figured rodeo riders all wanted to show off—at least, my brothers do.
Did you think it was love at first sight? Definitely not—more like I’d narrowly missed being skewered by a spiny cactus.
Hah! Good one. What do you like most about Chay? I love that he really is a warrior but a compassionate one who would have made a great chief in the Old Time.
How would you describe him? Chay is a proud man who works hard to make sure those he loves are cared for and protected.
Yeah, but how would he describe you? First, he thought I was a pain in the ass who asked too many questions. Now, he knows that I might pry but my intentions are good.
What made you choose journalism as a profession? After years of having a microphone shoved in my face to answer inane questions, I wanted to be the one asking the questions. I make sure that my questions count.
What is your biggest fear? I haven’t quite overcome my fear that because of my actions when I was a beauty pageant competitor, I won’t ever be taken seriously.
How do you relax? I love reading historical romances, and now I’m drawn to ones featuring Native American heroes.
Who is your favorite fictional character and why? Bridget Jones because she worked hard to change old habits and ended up with a dreamy guy.
Last one, honest. What is the best piece of advice you ever received? The best advice I ever received changed my life but it’s tied to the resolution of this story and I don’t want to give away the ending.
Works for us. Thanks, Didi. Now it's Linda's turn at bat. What movies or books have had an impact on your writing? Every romantic comedy I’ve ever seen primed my fertile imagination. Years ago, when I was just a reader, every romance novel I read made me want to join the ranks of those authors—especially the stories early on that transported me to another time and made me feel like a participant. Stories like Whitney, My Love and A Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaught and Elizabeth Lowell’s Only. .. series; any book written by Sharon Sala set the height of the bar that I’m still reaching for.
Tell us a bit about your publisher. How did you hear about them? At a local RWA meeting, I heard [publisher] Heather Bennett speak and she was promoting the Tease line which was geared toward novella-length stories.
What influenced your decision to submit to them? I was already a Decadent author via a short story published under my pen name so I submitted the query to the editor for that line.
Tell us a bit about the submission process. How long did it take from query to release? I’m sure this [being an established Decadent author] made the process from query (February 2013) to release (November 1, 2013) a bit quicker.
Please note, Linda will be giving away a digital copy of the novella to one person who stops by, leaves a comment AND include their email address.

To learn more about Linda Carroll-Bradd and the stories she creates go to: www.lindacarroll-bradd.com
To purchase Tie Down My Heart, go to http://amzn.com/B00G9GRSR

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great read! So glad Didi found her purpose. Oh what the heck. Margohoornstra at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did and figuring that out was such fun in the plotting process.

      Delete
  2. I can feel the tension between Chay and Didi! Great interview, and the books sounds exciting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the cover and it sounds like a good read!
    (Darlene from The Ladies Cave)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice interview and sexy cover! I love native american stories as well! Good luck!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks to those who have stopped by. We are so pleased to have Linda, Didi and Chay with us this week.
    Veronica and Kat

    ReplyDelete