Monday, February 10, 2014

The Best Way to Celebrate Valentine's Day--with author Margo Hoornstra

Today, 2 Wild Women Authors is pleased to have author Margo Hoornstra visit our blog. She hails from the Midwest where--at least this year--feels like the land of never ending snow storms. The snow is beautiful to look at but has put a crimp in her second love besides writing, long walks outdoors.
Where are you originally from, Margo? I was born in Detroit. All of my extended family lived in and around its suburbs. My grandparents were in politics in those suburbs, County Clerk, City Council Member, that type of thing. Though I don't live there now, Detroit still is a special place to me with its shopping, attractions, sports teams, theater, and other activities. There is still so much more good than bad about the city.
Tell us about your latest book whose release date is just in time for Valentine's Day, February 12, 2014. Only If You Dare is part of the Dearly Beloved series out of the Last Rose of Summer line for the Wild Rose Press, stories which center on a wedding in the planning stages. Anyone involved can be the hero and heroine. I chose mother of the bride, Cynthia Buckingham and Jonah Colt, a judge she meets while on jury duty. Newly divorced, Cynthia is dealing with her ex who wants special consideration at the ceremony for his new girlfriend and her parents, and a daughter who wants perfection for her wedding day, all planned and carried out to the most minute detail. Newly returned from too many tours in combat, Jonah is dealing with re-entry into peaceful civilian life while trying to ignore a serious case of post-traumatic stress disorder that returned stateside with him. Jonah and Cynthia engage in a one night stand that, despite their best efforts, develops into so much more.
How did you choose to write for this line? I write what I enjoy reading which is contemporary. The only caveat for the Dearly Beloved series was that the term Dearly Beloved appear somewhere in the book. "Dearly Beloved” is my opening line with the hero speaking and the heroine observing.
What is unique to you about Only If You Dare? In the original proposal, this book was going to be about Big Business versus the Little Guy, a totally different concept from the book I finally wrote.
What are the essential tools which every writer must have? A pen and paper is essential for me. I'm a true pantser but I need to have the actual feel of pen to paper in order be creative. A reliable laptop, software program and printer comes next. My writing style, if you will, is to compose in long hand, clean type, edit in pen, clean type and so on. Unfortunately, it takes me a long time to even finish a first draft. A good sense of self is also an important tool. I enjoy the positive comments and reviews and accept and try to learn from the negative ones. Don't get me wrong, those bad reviews hurt, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
What's the greatest compliment you've received about your writing? A reviewer once said my love scenes are sexy, sensuous and basically g-rated. I like hearing that. To me, it means my characters have connected emotionally rather than just physically and my reader has become involved as well.
Anything else? Ummmm. Yeah. I'd like to share a couple of quotes that mean a lot to me. The first is author unknown: "Great faith brings great results. And since you'll be the same age whether you go after your dreams or not, why let age be a factor in your decisions?" The second is by Doctor Seuss: "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”
Here's where you can find out more about Margo:
Website: http://margohoornstra.com/
Blog: http://margohoornstra.blogspot.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MargoHoornstra
Twitter: https://twitter.com/MargoHoornstra
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/3222492.Margo_Hoornstra

Having Margo with us today means a lot to Veronica and me. Margo has been with us from the start. We wish her so much luck with sales on "Only If You Dare" and all those stories still percolating inside that busy brain of hers.
Kat Doran and Veronica Lynch

11 comments:

  1. A terrific story--I recommend it to anyone who enjoys contemporary romance with strong, likable characters! Best of luck with your world-wide release!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jannine. Glad you stopped by, it means a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kat and Veronica, It's wonderful to be here. We have been together a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview, ladies. I really enjoyed your Dr. Seuss quote. What an insightful man. Love your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Diane. Good to share with you. I do love that quote too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your hero and heroine are such rich, fully developed characters! All the best with this new release! -- katie o'boyle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Kate. They were fun to write.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed reading Night Stars and Mourning Doves, Margo (what a great title) and look forward to your latest. - Dawn Douglas

    ReplyDelete
  9. Music to my ears, Dawn. Thank you. Happy to oblige!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've tagged Only If You Dare for this weekend while I'm away at my son's water polo tournament. I've loved all the books in the Dearly Beloved series and am looking forward to this one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. May you have great sales and 5 star reviews for your newest release. All the best!

    ReplyDelete