Monday, March 24, 2014

How do we Train Travis?


Today Wild Women Authors is pleased to welcome Cathleen Tully who brings Rebecca and Travis, lead characters from “Training Travis”, a recent release out of the Last Rose of Summer line of the Wild Rose Press. Welcome Cathleen, Travis and Rebecca. In a change of pace, Rebecca andTravis will both answer our questions.
First, tell us a bit about Training Travis. A divorced dad who gets full custody of his fifteen year old daughter after the untimely death of his ex wife.
What did you think the first time you saw the other? Rebecca: I thought I was seeing things. Travis left town fifteen years ago. I couldn’t imagine why he’d come back. Travis: When I saw Becca I couldn’t breath. She was still the same all-American beauty I’d fallen in love with in high school.
Lovely. And your second thoughts? Travis: I couldn’t help wonder if she had a significant other. Rebecca: No matter what the reason for his return, it didn’t sit well.
Did you think it was love at first sight? Rebecca: We have a past which I thought I’d forgotten about. Until he jumped out of that damn truck.
Travis: Without a doubt. I never stopped loving her even after all those years.
Awwww. What do you like most about the other? Travis: I admired her ability to bounce back from the tragic loss of her husband and child. Rebecca: I liked his desire to relocate and to do anything to make his daughter feel at home.
How would you describe each other? Rebecca: Travis is a hard worker, who loves his daughter more than the air he breathes and his number one concern is to make her happy and help her transition into a life without her mother. Plus, in the years since high school, he's turned into quite the hunk. Travis: Rebecca is a strong woman who has gotten used to living alone. She’s taken in her neighbor’s dog because the elderly woman had to go into assisted living and couldn’t keep her companion. Rebecca thinks she’s doing fine on her own until I get back into her life.
How would they describe you? Travis: she'd probably say I’m stubborn. Rebecca: he'd call me an anal neat freak.
Becca, what made you choose interior design as a career? I love color and working with colors and textures. It was the one profession in which I could do what I love and make other people happy by getting them what they want: A beautiful room.
What is your biggest fear? Travis: Losing the only woman I ever loved again. Rebecca: Being alone again.
How do you relax? Travis: A beer and a football game. Rebecca: Taking Sherlock, my seven pound Scots Terrier to the park and playing catch.
Who is your favorite fictional character and why? Rebecca: Piglet from Winnie the Pooh, because of his strong love for his friend and his need to be around Pooh bear. Travis: Superman--because he leaps tall buildings in a single bound!
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? Rebecca: Trust your heart. Travis: Always help others.
Now it's Cathy's turn at bat. What movies or books have had an impact on your writing? I love romantic comedies. “Sleeping In Seattle”, “While You were Sleeping”, “Because I Said So” for examples. Nora Ephron was one of my favorite writers. She wrote scripts that touch your heart about real people.
A wonderful tribute to a lost too soon talented woman. Thanks. Now, please tell us a bit about the publisher for “Training Travis”. I heard about The Wild Rose Press at a writer’s conference.
What influenced your decision to submit to them? I pitched my story to an editor who requested a full. I’d heard good talk from other writers about WRP and didn’t think I had anything to lose.
Tell us a bit about the submission process. How long did it take from query to release? Approximately six weeks from sending the full to contract. Three sets of revisions were needed. [It's a] Pleasure working with Kathy Cottrell [my editor].
Super! Veronica and I are pleased to have Cathy, Rebecca and Travis with us today and wish you many sales—and many more heartfelt stories. Slainte.
Kat and Veronica
To learn more about Cathleen Tully and the stories she creates go to: http://www.cathytully.com
Or check out her blog at http://www.attackingthepage.com
To purchase Training Travis, go to: http://www.amazon.com/Training-Travis-Cathleen-Tully/dp/162830166X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390509043&sr=8-1&keywords=Training+Travis





10 comments:

  1. Thanks for an entertaining blog--love the format as it gives insight into both writer and characters. I, too, find TWRP wonderful to work with and for as I continue to write. Best wishes for continued success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. So glad you enjoyed it.
      We hope you'll come again.
      kat and veronica

      Delete
  2. Training Travis was a great book! Fun interview!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Kathy!
      hope all is well with you. Thanks for stopping by. We're sure Cathy appreciates it.
      kat and veronica

      Delete
  3. I agree with Susan Coryell; this interview format is great. It makes the characters seem like real, flesh-and-blood people (as they should!) Training Travis sounds like a touching read. I enjoyed the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Laura
      we're so glad you like this style of getting to know characters. We had a lot of fun inventing it--and borrowing from other authors, of course.
      Stop by again!
      kat and veronica

      Delete
  4. Great interview! Wish you all the success Cathy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for stopping by, Susan
      you're turn is soon! Hope you're ready
      kat and veronica

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful blog post! Love the insight for us non-writers! Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mindy
      it's always nice to have non-writers stop by and enjoying this type of 'entertainment'!
      we hope you'll come by again.
      kat and veronica

      Delete