Monday, March 31, 2014

Meet Donovan Goldwyn, monster truck driver

Today Wild Women Authors is pleased to welcome author Chrys Fey and hero Donovan Goldwyn from Hurricane Crimes, a novella out of the Crimson Rose line of The Wild Rose Press. Welcome, Chrys and Donovan.
Tell us a bit about Hurricane Crimes, Donovan. It takes place during a category 5 hurricane and is about my encounter with Beth Kennedy and the many levels of danger we get ourselves into. But please, don’t rely on me to give you a thorough summary of our story. Chrys Fey does a much better job. Here's a brief description:
After her car breaks down, Beth Kennedy is forced to stay in Florida, the target of Hurricane Sabrina. She stocks up supplies, boards up windows, and hunkers down to wait out the storm, but her plan unravels when she witnesses a car accident. Risking her life, she braves the winds to save the driver. Just when she believes they are safe, she finds out the man she saved could possibly be more dangerous than the severe weather.
Donovan Goldwyn only wanted to hide from the police, but the hurricane shoved his car into a tree. Now he's trapped with a beautiful woman while the evidence that can prove his innocence to a brutal crime is out there for anyone to find.
As Hurricane Sabrina wreaks havoc, Beth has no other choice but to trust Donovan to stay alive. But will she survive, or will she become another hurricane crime?
Brilliant! Thanks so much for that. Now, what did you think the first time you saw Beth? I thought she was a hallucination, but that was because I had just regained consciousness and my head felt as though it were split in two.
Yep. Been there, done that. And your second thought? What the hell had happened and why is a beautiful woman sitting beside me in my car?
Did you think it was love at first sight? More like fear at first site. Fear for the situation I was in, fear of Hurricane Sabrina, and fear for Beth if I didn’t leave her as soon as possible.
What do you like most about her? Her strength. I love a woman who is strong and Beth can endure anything you throw at her. During the course of Hurricane Crimes I certainly tested that theory.
Awww. How would you describe her? Feisty, smart, beautiful, and passionate. She also has a tendency to want to hit me in the head with whatever object she has in her hand.
How would she describe you? She’d call me a murderer.
What made you choose monster truck driving as a career? I love the adrenaline rush I get from being in a fast car or in a giant truck with gargantuan tires. And after I blew out my knee in high school football, monster truck driving was the only other thing that made sense to satisfy my need for danger and excitement.
Honest as well as quick witted. We appreciate that in a man. So . . . What is your biggest fear? Honestly . . . I’m not fond of anything with eight legs.
All right! How do you relax? I like to watch slasher movies and drink a couple of beers. The gorier the movie the better! I guess you could say I have a slight fascination with blood and guts.
A man for all seasons. Do you have a brother? Uncle? Cousins not spoken for? Who is your favorite fictional character and why? The Joker. He’s funny, twisted, and dangerous. He loves violence, games—violent games, and he has no mercy.
Donovan, you are by far the most interesting man we've had visit us in a very long time. What is the best piece of advice you ever received? When I was a teenager and my older brother was a cop, he told me something I’ve never forgotten: “If you’re going to commit a crime, don’t get caught.” So I try not to. . . .
We'll try to match that with author, Chrys Fey. Tough job. What movies or books have had an impact on your writing? Oh, too many to name! For Hurricane Crimes, the movie Twister really helped me to gather extra details about what kind of conditions weather anomalies can create, but mostly my own experiences played an active role. As for books, Chill Factor by Sandra Brown sparked the idea behind Hurricane Crimes, because after I finished reading it I realized I’ve read a lot of books about characters getting stuck in blizzards but not in hurricanes, so I wanted to change that.
Tell us a bit about your publisher. How did you hear about them? The Wild Rose Press is a wonderful publishing company full of amazingly talented writers. Ever since I joined the ranks and became a Rose, I have felt so welcomed and supported. I found The Wild Rose Press when I was searching for a place to send Hurricane Crimes and I am grateful they turned up in my research.
What influenced your decision to submit to them? Hurricane Crimes is a short story and it’s hard to find places that publish short stories over a certain word count. When I found out The Wild Rose Press published short stories as eBooks I couldn’t pass up the opportunity.
Tell us a bit about the submission process. I sent my query and synopsis to the email listed on their website. Shortly after, I received confirmation that the senior editor of my line was looking over my submission. A few weeks later, I got a reply. I had to fix a couple of point-of-view problems first before I could get an acceptance but once I did, the contract was waiting for me in my inbox.
How long did it take from query to release? I sent my query on May 14th 2013, I got my first round of edits June 29th, and Hurricane Crimes was published on November 25th 2013, so all together it took six months.
Yowza! Thanks so much for visiting us and bringing the fascinating Donovan along. He's a man we won't soon forget!
To learn more about Chrys Fey and the stories she creates go to: www.facebook.com/chrysfey
To purchase Hurricane Crimes, go to Amazon. http://amzn.com/B00GVK921G.

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like a dynamic story--to say the least! Nice to "meet" a fellow Wild Rose Press author. I wish you continued success and I truly enjoyed the male point of view as a character in the blog.
    Susan Coryell
    A Red, Red Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Susan! I am super happy you enjoyed the male point of view in this post. Hurricane Crimes is in Beth's point of view, but I am working on the sequel and it does have Donovan's unique perspective in it. :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for having me and Donovan on your amazing blog, Kat and Veronica. We will definitely be back. And I have to say . . . Donovan is pleased that you won't forget him. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chrys, I enjoyed reading about Donovan! He is a fascinating character and now I want to know more about him:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Quanie. I'm sure he'd enjoy you getting to know him more. ;)

      Delete
  4. Hey, Chrys! I enjoyed having you on my blog a while back with "Hurricane Crimes," but I really enjoyed this character interview! I didn't even know that Donovan was a monster truck driver! Love the whole premise of this story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, MJ! There is a lot you can find out about Donovan in Hurricane Crimes. And I'm revealing even more in the sequel. :D

      Delete
  5. There'll be a sequel WITH Donovan? Holy moly!
    We'll be there--and hope you'll bring him back for a return visit!!
    kat and veronica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes, yes! I could never forget Donovan in the sequel. ;) We will definitely be back.

      Delete
  6. I know I may be her editor but I loved Hurricane Crimes and really enjoyed the journey. :) Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lori! That makes me so happy. I'm blessed to have you as my editor. :)

      Delete