Monday, March 3, 2014

Portals of Time, Part Deux


Today, as yet another winter storm approaches Western New York, 2 Wild Women Atuhors welcomes Kathryn Shay and Celeste Hart from “PERFECT TIMING”, the second in Shay's Portals of Time series. Welcome Kathy and Celeste. Hope you brought some warm weather with you? Heh heh.
First, a bit about the second in this fascinating series. In “PERFECT TIMING”, Celeste Hart, a sensitive, travels to Washington D.C. to sabotage the life’s work of Dr. Alex Lansing. Unbeknownst to him, his research into human sexuality drugs causes infertility in the centuries to come. When Celeste becomes his children’s nanny, she falls head over heels for the kids—and for their brilliant, sexy father. But can Alex forgive her deception when he discovers how and why she’s tricked him? With the survival of society hanging in the balance, everything hangs on Alex’s decision.
Celeste, what did you think the first time you saw Alex? I first saw him on the “chips”—recorded histories of time--from the past. I thought he was gorgeous. I loved his blond looks; most people of the future have dark hair. There was just something about him that attracted me right away.
And your second thought? When I met him, I was bowled over by his magnetism. Interestingly, he seemed to feel the same about me.
Did you think it was love at first sight? Yes, pretty much. Which is odd, because I never loved a man before.
What do you like most about him? How he behaves with the younglings, excuse me, the children. I’d never seen children react to their parents (called donors in my time), so I was mesmerized. He is a wonderful father.
How would you describe Alex? Kind and sensitive to others. Loving and giving to his children. Sexy and virile to me. And he’s brilliant. But he works too hard, and must learn to slow down!
How would Alex describe you? Extremely sensitive to others, which of course is true as I’m called “sensitive” in my time, and I can feel others’ emotion and even drain them of the negative ones when I choose. He’s attracted to my optimism and my love of his kids. I believe he thinks I’m sexy, too.
What made you choose research as a profession? In my time, I work for the Institute of Fertility and Sexuality. Since no one can bear children in 2514, I’m researching how to reverse our infertility.
What is your biggest fear? That Dorian, Alisha and I will not be able to change the course of history and our society will see the end of mankind.
How do you relax? I run in this time period. And I love watching the video box. In the future, I take jutzi lessons and run on an exertrac to relieve stress.
Who is your favorite fictional character and why? I’m afraid we don’t have fiction in the future, either in chip (book) form or in videos. Today, I love STAR TREK because Alex looks like Captain Kirk.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? From my donor, Rhea. She told me to follow my heart.
Now it's Kathryn's turn at the plate: What movies or books have had an impact on your writing? Judith Guest’s “ORDINARY PEOPLE” had a tremendous impact on my writing style. I taught the book ever year when I was a high school teacher and I think her writing style truly affected mine. The second is Judith McNaught. She wrote historical and contemporary romances. The first romance novel I read was “WHITNEY MY LOVE”. I think I was influenced by her emotional content the most.
Tell us a bit about your publisher. How did you hear about them? What influenced your decision to submit to them. I was first published by Harlequin. I had been writing for three years while teaching full time and I went to a conference where another HQ editor who had bought my buddy Pat Ryan’s first book. She was sitting with Pat and a whole group of us. The editor, Mala Valik, asked me if I had any books submitted to Harlequin and I said yes, but not her line. She asked which line, then asked for my name and the name of the manuscript and “she’d walk across the hall” and tell Superromance to take a look. Three weeks later my future editor called and one week after that, made an offer. The book was “THE FATHER FACTOR” and had over a million copies in print.

I went on to work with The Berkley Publishing Group. Now, however, I’m an independent author, writing and publishing my own work. I love the freedom of it. And the money’s better.
Veronica and I thank Kathryn and Celeste for visiting us today. Her imagination is astonishing.
Kat Henry Doran

To learn more about Kathryn Shay and the stories he/she creates go to: www.kathrynshay.com.
To purchase PERFECT TIMING, go to http://www.kathrynshay.com/portals-of-time-trilogy/

6 comments:

  1. Congrats! Absolutely love the concept and the conflict here. Hope it goes on to be another big seller!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting concepts and characters. Much success!

    Madeline

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree--the concept is intriguing. Best of luck with its success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, Lisa, Linda and M.M. I've always wanted to try my hand at a paranormal romance, which is more contemporary than paranormal but it does have a time travel element.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's wishing you many sales!
    -R.T.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many thanks to all who stopped by and left comments. Veronica and I, and Kathryn of course, appreciate it very much.
    Now for some warmer weather!!
    Kat Doran

    ReplyDelete