Monday, April 14, 2014

Chat With a Fox . . . and the Lady


Today Wild Women Authors is pleased to welcome author Dee Carey and Merlot from The Fox Tales /The Fox and the Chalice, a May 2014 release from Soul Mate Publishing. 
Please tell us a bit about The Fox and the Chalice. It is about an infant who found in a convent vineyard, and is chosen to restore just rule to France.
Merlot, what made you choose guardian of the convent's abess as a profession? The woman, Mother Tempestia, cared for me from the instant she found me in the vineyard as if she was my own mother.
Knowing what you know now, if you had it to do over again, would you continue guarding Mother Tempestia, or do something different? I would follow the same path as it was my destiny.
What is your biggest fear? That there is no heaven.
Who is your favorite fictional character and why? Piglet from Winnie the Pooh. He always looks on the bright side.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? Risk, it is the only way to forge new experiences.
Now it's Dee's turn at the plate. Which writer or character[s], from either books or movies, have had a major impact on your writing? Juliet Marillier is my favorite author. I write in first person most of the time as does she. My favorite movie is Lady Hawk. I like the ethereal content. I think everything you see somehow impacts a writer. It is a profession unlike any other. To make something out of an idea, something that is not concrete is quiet simply Magic.
With regard to research, where did you start for this novel? As with most of my tales, I started with a figurine of a fox and the fact that at the time I was doing work for my church.
Did that lead you down different paths, thereby changing the original concept? My concepts rarely change as I plot everything on a flow chart before I start writing. I like to have the first and last sentence before I actually write. This does not always happen but when it does it is magic.
Let's read a blurb from The Fox and the Chalice:
He held the pebble so tightly his nails dug into his palm. Even the threat of death would not pry it from him. Yet, he is not contemplating death. Rather his thoughts were for life. The life he would share with the mysterious Merlot. Quickly, he hurried over the broad meadow back to the manor. All should be quiet there. Gilber was long asleep, and his mother would lie there helpless beside the pig. She would have no peace until Monsieur Roland took his daily trip to the convent to extract the secret of the wine. LaRoux wished his stepfather would fall down a bottomless pit and never be seen again.
Thanks, Dee! Tell us a bit about your publisher. How did you hear about them? I met with the head editor at a conference sponsored by the Lilac City Rochester Writers group in Rochester, New York.
What influenced your decision to submit to them? She asked me to submit the tale I pitched. She accepted it and made an error in the contract, asking for two stories when only one had been submitted. I contacted her and she said it was a typo, but did I have the rights to my other works? I did and she said, “ I want them all.”
Too cool! Tell us a bit about their submission process. How long did it take from query to release? The entire process took place over a very short year. This particular book coming out in May is a compilation of several of my earlier works. In the summer [of 2014] Soul Mate is releasing a new fox tale called The Eye of the Dragon.
Thank you, Dee, for visiting with us today. We appreciate you taking the time out of your busy schedule.
Kat and Veronica
To learn more about Dee Carey /The Foxlady, and the stories she creates, go to: www.careyfoxlady.com
To purchase The Fox Tales, go to SoulMatePublishing.com or Amazon.com



4 comments:

  1. Hi Dee,
    Piglet is one of my favorite Winne the Pooh characters too. He sometimes reminds me of myself - a bit too shy and timid. Best wishes on your upcoming release.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Winnie the Pooh, but my favorite is Eeyore. "Thanks for noticing me." (say in Eeyore voice). Love the story's concept! Wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katherine and MJ--
    thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. Kat and I, as well as Dee, appreciates the attention.
    Veronica Lynch

    ReplyDelete
  4. We enjoyed having Dee Carey here this week.
    and the winner of an Apron With Attitude is . . . Katherine.
    she has been notified.
    Next author up is Nicole McCaffrey who will be with us in another week's time.
    Sadly, Diane Burton who was slated to visit us beginning tomorrow, April 21st, has had to reschedule--so we'll be taking a week off!
    see you all on Monday April 28th
    Kat and Veronica

    ReplyDelete