Monday, September 15, 2014

Author Alicia Dean and Scrimshaw Dolls

This week Wild Women Authors is so pleased to welcome author Alicia Dean, a talented and busy woman who clearly has more hours in her day than the rest of us mortals. Aly consented to visit us this week and we are thrilled!
First, a bit about her:
Alicia Dean lives in Edmond, Oklahoma. She has three grown children and a huge network of supportive friends and family. She writes mostly contemporary suspense and paranormal, but has also written in other genres, including a few vintage historicals.
Other than reading and writing, her passions are Elvis Presley, MLB, NFL (she usually works in a mention of one or all three into her stories) and watching her favorite televisions shows like Vampire Diaries, Justified, The Mindy Project, and Dexter (even though it has sadly ended, she will forever be a fan). Some of her favorite authors are Michael Connelly, Dennis Lehane, Lee Child, Lisa Gardner, Sharon Sala, Jordan Dane, Ridley Pearson, Joseph Finder, and Jonathan Kellerman…to name a few.
Please visit her website/blog at: www.AliciaDean.com
Follow her on Twitter and Facebook
Thank you for having me, Veronica. I’m always happy to talk about a project that is dear to my heart. A few years back, some of my Oklahoma friends and I decided to write a series of related stories with a recurring theme. After discussing, we settled on an ancient, cursed Scrimshaw doll. Out of the idea grew about a dozen stories. They are all stand alone and in various genres but all have ties to Oklahoma (Except the first few which were set in an era before Oklahoma was even a territory), and they all share, in some way, whether big or small, an ancient hexed doll. A few have not been published yet, but we are hoping that happens soon. Ten of them are available now.
The curse she carries is: All those who betray you will suffer. Only true love can break the curse.
It was so much fun to see how the different authors handled the idea of the doll. In some, bad things happened to those who betrayed the owner of the doll. In others, bad things actually happened to the owners themselves, when the doll felt she was being betrayed.
The ten stories are published with The Wild Rose Press, and now, they are available as two different boxed sets and ON SALE for a limited time for only $2.99 each. The sale ends September 19, so be sure to grab your copies while you can get them at a discount.
*** GIVEAWAY – In a few days, I will draw a name from all those who comment and the winner will receive a choice of either Cursed or Burdened for Kindle or Nook. Please be sure to include your email address in your comments.
Cursed buy links:
Amazon:
The Wild Rose Press:
Barnes and Noble:
Burdened buy links:
Amazon:
The Wild Rose Press:
Barnes and Noble:


Thanks so much, Aly. We really enjoyed this visit and learning more about the Scrimshaw Doll series.
Kat Henry Doran and Veronica Lynch

28 comments:

  1. Thank YOU for allowing me to share. I love talking about the Scrimshaw stories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved writing Skinbound, one of the contemporary stories in the Tales of the Scrimshaw Doll series! I have also enjoyed reading the amazing stories written by the other Scrimshaw authors (or, as I like to call them, my 'Scrimshaw Sisters'). Mine is the tale of identical twins--one good and one evil--and one very ancient, very confused, scrimshaw doll. Oh--and one hot doctor named Cabin :) Great post, Alicia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Veronica, Good to 'see' you again. I loved writing Tessa's Treasures. It was an opportunity to write a more mature couple, something I would like to do again. All the books in the series are wonderful. I was so glad to be part of the project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The stories sound fascinating. Congrats, ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun the series must have been for all the authors. Always great to "see" you, Alicia. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved writing The Last Daughter and being part of this series! Enjoyed the post and the comments, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Marissa and Diane. It was a lot of fun, for me at least. And the other authors seem to enjoy it. :) I appreciate you stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! Just thought to respond to the 'mortals' comment. I WISH I had more hours in the day than everyone else. Believe me, there is a lot I need to do that I don't get done. But it's nice you think that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have two books with the Scrimshaw Doll Tales. I found it very enlightening and exciting in both working with my editor, Nancy Swanson at TWRP and getting published. Great article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Kathy has a story in Volume One, The English Lily and one in Volume 2, Color of Betrayal. Both are wonderful reads...thanks for stopping by, Kathy!

      Delete
  10. The Doll series sounds fascinating. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the idea of an interconnected series. Isn't it great when a bunch of authors/friends get together to share ideas and such? Best of luck, ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, it is great. :) Thank you, Margo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Terrific concept! Thanks for letting us know about the discounts. :-) When is "Without Mercy" coming out??? Love that cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Without Mercy should be released by around September 26th. Thanks...so glad you love the cover. I'm very pleased with it. And, no worries, you will definitely know when it's released ;)

      Delete
  14. Like the others, I love the idea of a group of authors working off of a central concept. And it is a great way for readers to familiarize themselves with several authors in one fell swoop! And thanks for revealing that Alicia is immortal. That explains a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Workign off a central concept was challenging, yet lots of fun. Maybe us AHA'ers should consider something like this? At least a handful of us. Wouldn't that be fun? (And a lot of work!). Ha! Immortal. I think crazy might be a better word. I just suggested yet another project!

      Delete
  15. he he he
    thanks to all for stopping by and commenting. So great to hear from OKRW authors involved with this series. I enjoyed [in another life] editing Tessa's Treasures, For a lot of reasons, I'm partial to series. Great to hear from Margo H. She and I go waaayyy back to the Class of '85 series. Talk about bonding authors . . . we are still friends all of us and talk not often enough.
    Thanks Aly for giving this blog a boost!
    Veronica and Kat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure...thanks for hosting us! :)

      Delete
  16. Enjoyed the post and learning more about the series!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post and I'm so excited for those Doll authors who were still able to participate in this wonderful opportunity! I loved being involved in the project and still love my own Doll book, Home, even though it's not available anymore and missed out on this boxed set. I can't wait to get my own sets, however, because I adore each of the authors in them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so wish you'd been able to participate. You need to get HOME back out there! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  18. :-) Well, I wish my clone was a bit more productive! Doesn't she realize we have deadlines coming up????

    ReplyDelete