Monday, November 3, 2014

Doing Battle . . . for Love

"If love isn't worth fighting for, what is?"
     Love Howard has more than a knack for matchmaking. Born from a forbidden passion and a twelve-hundred-year-old promise, she and her sisters can literally see true love. And while Love has no problem bringing other couples together, her own romantic life could use a little help.
     Danton DeAngelo has always been well grounded in reality. So it throws him for no small loop when the woman he’s fallen for believes that she’s been reincarnated eleven times and can actually see true love.
     Now Danton is faced with the biggest decision of his life. Accept Love for who she really is, or walk away from her forever.

Fresh off a major blog tour, Wild Women Authors is pleased to welcome first time author Angela Hayes and Love Howard from Love's Battle, a recent release out of the Wild Rose Press. First up is Love.
Where are you from? All over. Each life I have lived in various places. In this one, as Love Howard, I am from Maryland.
Tell us a bit about Love's Battle. It is pretty much my current life story and tells of how my sisters and I were conceived and a bit of how we lived our ten previous lives. Most importantly, it tells of how Danton DeAngelo and I came to be.
What did you think the first time you saw Danton? I thought he was perfect! It was the second and third thoughts that gave me trouble.
Un huh, it's those killer second and thirds that can spell doom. It was?
Literally, “Not now!” was screaming inside my brain. It was quickly followed up by how unfair it was that he and I had to meet under such circumstances and how those circumstances certainly put us at immediate odds. For those who haven’t read my story, I’ll just leave it at that, I don’t want to spoil the surprise of my not so favorable first impression.
Did you think it was love at first sight? I absolutely without hesitation knew Danton was my particular soul mate in this life. It’s one of the perks of being able to see true love and what a beautiful sight it is. Danton, on the other hand, was the one who needed convincing.
What do you like most about him? What I like most is his unwavering commitment. Once he makes up his mind about something, he sees it through. That’s why I am so looking forward to seeing him again our next life and am so humbled by the pledge he made.
How would you describe him? Stubborn because it takes him a while to come around, but once he does there’s no going back. Giving because he’s got such a big heart, it makes me fall in love with him again and again. And grounded. Danton keeps me tethered when I need it most and is always there, waiting on me when I need a safe place to land.
How would he describe you? I would hope with beautiful flowery words that would turn my heart to mush. But I’m afraid it would be more likely to make me blush. Something along the lines of flighty, impulsive, shoe-holic. Really, you have to see my collection—and aren’t these studded Louboutin’s just delicious? They make me think of candy dots.
If you say so. Personally, we go for clogs, a throwback to our long ago days in the OR. But we digress. What made you choose working with arts and antiquities as a profession? Arts and Antiquites has been a long simmering idea between my sisters and I. It was never right in our previous lives to consider opening a museum of this magnitude, but with all the modern advanced and truly open minded way of thinking the 21st century brings, it really was a no brainer.
What is your biggest fear? That’s a great question. In many of my past lives, fear was a way of life. It was so thick in the air at times you felt as if it would choke you. My sisters and I have lived through wars and plagues, but nothing amounts to the fear of rejection that grips you when you are facing the most important person in your world and have to confess that you were conceived thanks to the magic of a banshee and are reincarnated to bring lovers together. Imagine facing the ledge of a cliff and knowing at any moment the person behind you could push you off at any moment. That might would come close to describing what it feels like.
Oh my. That's a challenge. So . . . how do you relax? Relaxing, what is that?! My brain is constantly running, running, searching for new ideas, but I do find peace when I sit down at my harp and lose myself in the beautiful sounds of music.
Who is your favorite fictional character? While I do love reading, having met so many wonderfully creative and inspiring characters in real life, it makes it hard to have a favorite fictional character.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? It comes courtesy of my mother Riona. It was the unrequited love between her and my father that lead her to make the promise that resulted in my initial conception. As we were growing up and she explained to my sisters and I what would be required of us. I once asked why she would make such a sacrifice and still continue to pine for him. She looked at me, violet colored eyes full of love and pain, and smiled. “Gra, if love isn’t worth fighting for, what is?”
What a way to end an interview with an intriguing heroine and an even more intriguing story!! Let's learn a bit about the creator of such characters and intricate back story. Angela, what movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer and why?
Anything and everything by Nora Roberts has had an impact on my career—or what will hopefully be one. In my opinion she sets the very highest bar which a romance writer can hope to achieve. Then, there’s the Twilight series and Harry Potter or even 50 Shades, which I haven’t read, but each has created such a frenzied and massive fan base that it's mind blowing. It makes me understand how a single idea can evolve beyond expectations and I have a daydreams that at least one of the books that I write will have the same reaction.
What real thing or event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? I spent the majority of my childhood living in Maryland and that more than anything influenced the books main location. The rest was places I hope to see one day.
Tell us a bit about your publisher. How did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? I published my first book, Love’s Battle, with the Wild Rose Press. I found them on the Predators and Editors website (pred-ed.com) and the rest was really quick.
Tell us about the submission process ie how long from date of query to date of release? I submitted my query, heard back within 24 hours with a request for the full manuscript and waited 3 months to be told it was good, but not contract ready. After more edits, which it totally needed and took at least 6 months to complete, I waited less than 3 month to get the contract. Publication came a few months later. So from query in March of 2013 to publication in July of 2014.
What project[s] are you working on now? I am working on the second and third books featuring Love’s sisters as well as a few short stories featuring the couple the sisters bring together. There is also a paranormal series I’m continuing work on (the dreaded edits) and a mystery series in the think tank.
What's up next for you? The laundry. It’s always waiting in the wings. Oh, you mean writing wise… that would be meeting the visitors of your wonderful blog.
Very cool. We're sure they're anxious to meet you as well! Angela has brought along an excerpt from Love's Battle for additional enticement:
The hand Love pressed to her brow was visibly shaking. “There’s something I need to tell you. I just need you to keep an open mind.”
“What is it? Are you sick?” Danton asked.
“No, I’m not sick.” Her voice trembled on a forced laugh. “It’s something else. Something I‘ve been trying to prepare you for. This would be so much easier if you believed in magic. If you could believe that what I’m about to tell you is the honest truth.”
Turning, Love opened the iron chest, the hinges groaning with the effort as specks of rust littered the floor. From its depths she pulled out a clear plastic bag that she held tight to her chest, eyes closed, before handing it to a confused Danton.
“This is my tartan, my plaid. Before it faded and was dinner for the moths, it was once patterned in checks of green, gray, and brown. The purple and white stripes that ran through the hem identified the wearer as part of the royal family.” Love tapped the plastic, her finger pointing out where each color should be. “It was a gift from my father. The first and only time my sister’s and I met him, he was on his deathbed, we were eighteen. A week later our mother died in the same moment he drew his last breath.” Needing the extra air Love drew a breath of her own. “That day was the thirteenth of February, eight-hundred and fifty-eight AD. My father was Cinaed mac Alpin, crowned king of the Picts and Gaels. He was Scotland’s first king.”
“Eight- hundred and fifty-eight?” That couldn’t be right, she was only twenty-five. “Don’t you mean Nineteen-eighty-seven?”
“No. I was born for the first time in Scotland during the middle of the ninth century.”
To purchase Love's Battle, go to:
To learn more about Angela Hayes go to:



22 comments:

  1. Angela: Congrats on your first publication with TWRP--a wonderful group of professionals! Love's Battle sounds intriguing--a great premise! Good luck with all your projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, thanks for your visit and I'll take all the luck I can get!

      Delete
  2. Great interview Angela! Congrats again on your publication. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you JC for your wonderful support.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your first release. The interview piqued my interest about the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, VK had great questions and I had a blast answering them. It was hard though, trying to keep the answers intriguing without giving away the good stuff.

      Delete
  4. Loved the interview, Angela, and this one has been bumped up on my tbr list! Wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, that made my day Mary- such high praise. Thank you.

      Delete
  5. Many thanks to Susan, JC, Linda and Mary for taking the time to stop by and cheer for Angela in her new venture. Love's Battle looks like a winner--and Angela is not letting grass grow under her feet with regard to future stories. Yay her!!
    Kat and Veronica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was awesome being here today VK and I am in total agreement on the support and cheers. I am so thankful for each and every visit. You've all made my day. I feel so loved.

      Delete
  6. Great to hear more about Love and you! Congrats and best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you Ally and thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on your debut release. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was some interview!!! Best of luck with the book :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Angela, Congratulations on your new release. It sounds like a wild ride! All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the best roller coasters I've ever been on Brenda!

      Delete
  10. Congratulations Angela. this sounds like a fun series. Good luck and great sales!

    ReplyDelete
  11. From your lips to God's ear Sandra.

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW!!!
    thank you
    thank you
    thank you all for responding to our invitation to support Angela in her first release
    you guys are the best!!
    Veronica and Kat

    ReplyDelete
  13. love is indeed worth fighting for

    ReplyDelete