Monday, December 1, 2014

Meet the creator of 30 Seconds . . .

This week Wild Women authors is pleased to have Chrys Fey, author of 30 Seconds, a recent release out of the Wild Rose Press, and Dani, the heroine of this compelling story. First up is Dani Hart.
Where are you from? Cleveland, Ohio
Tell us a bit about 30 Seconds. It is about how my life gets turned upside down by the Mob's death threat. As I fight to stay alive, I fall in love with Blake, the officer who went undercover in the Mob and put me in this mess.
Hmm. Complicated. Tell us about Blake. What did you think the first time you saw him? I thought he was going to kill me. Or at the very least rob me. I mean he tackled me into my apartment and put his hand over my mouth. He was wearing a knit cap and a long coat. What would you have thought?
Exactly. What was your next thought? Okay, this guy is serious. He had his police badge in my face and was shaking me to get my attention. It’s hard not to take a man seriously when he’s doing that.
With all this going on, was it was love at first sight? More like stalker at first sight.
Hah! Good one. What do you like most about him? I like his curly hair that my fingers always want to touch. I like his defined abs, his strong arms, his...sorry, my mind was starting to go to the gutter. I like so much about Blake that’s impossible to choose just one thing.
Besides all that, which aren't shabby, how would you describe him? He is a cop through and through, which isn’t a bad thing when you need a cop to protect you from the Mob, but it is when you want a little romance.
Absolutely! How would he describe you? I’m sure he’d call me a pain for some of the things I pulled, but I’m a pain he can tolerate.
What made you choose the medical field as a career? I always knew I wanted to help people, and stitching them up and making them feel better was the best way for me to do that.
What is your biggest fear? Car accidents...I was in one when I was teen and it changed my life forever, so I very much try to avoid car accidents.
How do you relax? I listen to pounding rock music and let loose by dancing.
Who's your favorite fictional character and why? Cristina Yang from Grey’s Anatomy. If she were real, we would’ve been best friends. I’m bummed she’s no longer on the show.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? Blake told me to get into my grandmother’s cedar chest. And I’m glad I did!
Looks like we'll have to read the book to see what you found there. Thanks, Dani. Much luck with himself and the career.
It's Chrys' turn at bat. What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer? I think most of the movies I see and books I read impact me in some small way. For 30 Seconds, movies like SWAT, Death Sentence, Assault on Precinct 13, and Public Enemy helped me a lot with the police and Mob scenes.
What real thing in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? I was able to incorporate my fear of car accidents into Dani’s story by giving her the same fear. I diluted my fear a little bit and didn’t make her afraid of being behind the wheel. I feel this was a great choice for 30 Seconds because it created a nice sub-plot.
Absolutely. Would you do that in your next story? I don’t think so, but I always try to include a little bit of me or at least one of my personal experiences in every one of my stories.
Good idea. Now please tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them; what influenced your decision to submit to them? I sent Hurricane Crimes to The Wild Rose Press, so it was a no-brainer for me to send 30 Seconds to them, too. And I plan on publishing even more stories to them!
What project[s] are you working on now? I am working on the prequel to 30 Seconds, which will follow Blake when he goes undercover in the Mob. It’s going to be a thrilling read.
What's up next for you? I plan to publish the sequel to Hurricane Crimes. Last year, Donovan visited Wild Wild Women to tell everyone about his story and you can bet I’m bringing him back for this sequel. He has a new disaster to face with Beth and far more danger.
Thanks, Chrys for introducing Dani to us and telling us about your stories and what's in the future for them. Now for an excerpt for 30 Seconds:

She panted with fear. What if they see the chest? What if we get caught? What if my breath stinks and I’m breathing right into Officer Hottie’s face? She shut her mouth and let oxygen flow through her nose.
Her eyesight slowly adjusted to the darkness and she could see Officer Hero’s silhouette. His head was turned and he was listening to the thuds of heavy boots getting louder; the intruders were coming their way.
Then the thunder of footsteps sounded right next to them. “There’s no one here, Red,” someone announced.
Look for documents,” a man ordered, who Dani could only assume was Red. “I want the name of the person I’m going to kill.”
A moment later, there was a reply. “All the mail is addressed to a Dr. Hart.”
Hearing her name said aloud by one of the men who had ransacked her place made her want to gasp. Her mouth fell open and her breath was reversing into her lungs, but before she could make a sound, Officer Hero lowered his lips to hers, silencing her. Stunned, she could only lie beneath him with her eyes wide and her body tense. She couldn’t believe he was kissing her. She wanted to push him back, but knew if she did he might hit the inside of the chest, giving away their hiding place. That was when she realized he was kissing her so she wouldn’t gasp.
She let her body relax. After her initial shock faded, she was able to feel his lips. They were comforting and caused a reaction deep inside her. She couldn’t stop her lips from reacting to his. It was an innocent connection, a soft touch of lips. Until his hand slid from her shoulder to her neck and the kiss deepened into something else.

14 comments:

  1. 30 Seconds sounds both suspenseful and romantic. What a super combination! Good luck with sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan! That combination is my favorite. :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for having me and Dani on Wild Wild Women, Kat! And thanks for adding the cover and my photo to your sidelines. You really know how to treat a guest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Officer Hottie, indeed. LOL That gave me such a laugh. Cool excerpt! Lots of luck with 30 Seconds and BTW, love the title, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm super happy that you enjoyed the excerpt and like the tittle, Hebby. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Great excerpt, Chrys. With my luck, if I was hiding in a chest, I'd have to sneeze! Best of luck with 30 Seconds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be my luck, too. ;) Thank you, Jana!

      Delete
  5. Loved the interview of Dani. Great excerpt. Liked it so much, I went and bought a copy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! Thank you so much! I hope you enjoy the story just as much, Kara! :D

      Delete
  6. thanks to Chrys for bringing Dani to the blog; we enjoyed it so much. And thanks to Susan, Hebby, Jana and Kara for stopping by. Kat and Veronica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, VK! Thanks for having me! :)

      Delete
  7. Chrys, that cover is wonderful and I love the title. Your excerpt hooked me right from the start--compelling, more than intriguing and oh that scene. Hot! I could feel those lips on her and when his hand went to her neck, I got delightful goosies. I'm off to my kindle to get this one. Very nice. Wishing you much success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! That is exactly what I hoped readers would feel while reading that scene. And thank you so much for getting a copy, Beverly! I hope you enjoy it! :)

      Delete
    2. Hi, Bev!
      thanks for stopping by. Looks like you made Chrys' day!!
      Veronica

      Delete