Monday, December 22, 2014

Meet a Shape Shifter With a Taste for Jane Eyre

Good morning. San Francisco was terrific but it's time to get back to work. 
We are pleased to have author Abigail Owen with us, celebrating the release of Andromeda's Fall, a paranormal romance out of Wild Rose Press, the first ever from this talented author. With Abigail is protagonist Andromeda Reynolds. Welcome to you both. First up is Andie.
Where are you from? Northwest Canada. I can’t tell you exactly where, because the location is secret. I grew up in the Carstairs Dare of cougar shifters. I don’t live there any more though.
Tell us a bit about Andromeda’s Fall. This is the story of how I escaped from my own community of cougar shifters and tried to find asylum with the Keller Dare. My plan was to try to mate the Alpha, but A.J. got in the way of that.
What did you think the first time you saw A.J.? First thought? How the hell did he catch me? I’m very good at what I do, and getting into the Keller Dare should have been doable. 
And your second thought? Wow. Those eyes! I mean, how am I going to get around this guy and get to the Alpha?
Did you feel it was love at first sight? Not even close. The man was trying to test me, and was in my way. No matter how attractive he was, I had bigger problems.
What do you like most about him? He didn’t kill me outright when we first met. Most male cougar shifters would have if they’d found me breaking into their compound. But A.J. has a cooler head than that, and more self-control. And holy smokes, can that man kiss!
That's a good start. How would you describe him? Confident, in charge, respected. He’s also funny and kind—thought though he doesn’t show that to many people.
How would he describe you? Probably a pain in his rear. But he tells me I’m beautiful and feisty, smart, and sexy so I guess he thinks my attitude is worth the effort.
What made you choose being a strategist as a career? My father taught me all forms of fighting and weaponry from a young age. As the daughter of the Beta in the Carstairs Dare, this position made the most sense. Unusual for a woman, especially in that community, I know. But I’m good at it.
What is your biggest fear? That Kyle Carstairs would get control of the Carstairs Dare. His father, Walter, is bad enough, but Kyle would be a nightmare.
How do you relax? Train to fight. I also go on long runs. Most cougars are sprinters, but I was built for distance.
Who is your favorite fictional character and why? Jane Eyre. She’s got guts for someone in her position, and she doesn’t compromise herself, even for love.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? My father told me to leave the Carstairs Dare. He saved my life, but we’ll see if things turn out as well as he hopes.
That was truly amazing. A shape shifter who admires Jane Eyre. Too cool. Now it's Abigail's turn. What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer and why? I read a ton – 85% romance. And I would say those have had the most impact on my writing style and preference. I love to escape and read about how a couple find love together. Movies? I’m a huge fan of anything fantasy or super-hero related – Xmen, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars. I love thinking of worlds where extraordinary powers are possible and what that would look like.
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? I grew up going to the Rocky Mountains ever summer. While this book is based further west in the Bitterroot Mountains of Idaho, I brought my love for that landscape to the scenes. I hope people will see the land and my characters who life there through my eyes – beautiful, clear, wide open, but also potentially deadly.
Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? I had heard of The Wild Rose Press several times, but it wasn’t until I read an article featuring them and a few other new presses in RWA magazine that I realized that I might be a good fit for them. I immediately queried Andromeda’s Fall to them and was thrilled to get a YES!
What project[s] are you working on now? Sarai’s Fortune, the 2nd book in the Shadowcat Nation series, is with my editor now. Looking forward to working with her on getting it ready! In the meantime, I’m in the drafting phases on a couple of contemporary romances – one in small-town Texas and one is about skydiving.
What's up next for you? I have a monster project in mind. The kind of idea you know could be big but it intimidates you to write it. But I’ll give it my best shot!
This has been great fun, Abigail, thanks for visiting us this week. Good luck with this book and future creations.
Kat Henry Doran and Veronica Lynch








16 comments:

  1. Your first novel--how exciting! I still remember the thrill 25 years past. Andromeda's Fall sounds intriguing. Romance and conflict go hand-in-hand. Welcome to TWRP--a wonderful publisher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!

      I will say that I've self-published 4 before this one. But this is my first experience with publishing and I'm thrilled to be a TWRP Rose! :)

      Delete
  2. Congrats on your debut novel! Such an exciting time and it sounds like an excellent read. Best of luck with sales!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks J.C.! I'm having a ton of fun with this!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your debut, Abigail. Andromeda's Fall sounds terrific. Best of luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got me hooked with a shape shifter who admires Jane Eyre! I've already bumped this book up on my tbr list. Wishing you all the best with your debut book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. Sounds like we have a lot in common Mary. I wish I was a shifter. And I definitely love Jane Eyre. :)

      Thanks!

      Delete
  5. From me too, welcome to TWRP. Great hook on your debut novel. May it, and you, go far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Margo! So excited to be part of TWRP!

      Delete
  6. Huge thanks Kat and Veronica for hosting me! Andie and I had a lot of fun on this interview. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats and best of luck with Andromeda's Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great interviews! I'm right there with Andie on Jane Eyre.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Abigail, wonderful interview and congratulations on your first release.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoyed the interview! I like the twist of having your shifters be cats. Lots of potential there. Thanks for sharing your book with us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great interview. I liked hearing from Andie! Good luck with Andromeda's Fall, Abigail.

    ReplyDelete