Thursday, January 22, 2015

A Civil War Heroine

Rarely has Wild Women Authors been treated with with a visit from and author and characters from a historical novel, especially the Civil War era. So when the opportunity to feature a brand new author Mary Eleanor Wilson, we turned hand springs. Here's what Somewhere Down the Road is all about:
When the Civil War tears her family apart, Tassie Folden must journey from her Tennessee home to a new life with her aunt in Cincinnati. When she runs into trouble in dangerous territory, she is aided by a handsome Union officer. When their paths cross again, Tassie begins to wonder if her future might include him. But Major Micah Corchoran is the most secretive man she’s ever met. What is he hiding? And how can they have a future together if he won’t trust her?

Micah Corchoran uses his position in the Union Army to aid in a dangerous and secretive cause. Returning home from the war, he again encounters the lovely Southern belle he aided on the road. He’s already fallen for Tassie, but loving her could put his family at risk. Can he trust her with his secret?

When his secret comes to light and the schemes of a blackmailer are exposed, Tassie hopes her journey is complete. Does her future lie here or somewhere down the road?
Tassie, what did you think the first time you saw Micah? I thought he was beautiful, even if he was a Yankee.

What was your second thought? Please don’t arrest me!

Did you feel it was love at first sight? Not really. It was a tense moment for both of us. I was traveling with a wagon load of slave children, and he stopped us at a roadblock. Despite being very handsome, I couldn’t stop thinking that he was about to ruin my life.
What do you like most about him? That’s a hard one. There are so many things to love about Micah. Strong, handsome, brave – he’s a true hero, and he stands up for what is right.
How would you describe him? Mmmm, as I said he’s very handsome. But there is a lot more to him than just looks. He’s smart, and sometimes that’s hard to find in a man. Particularly a Yankee man. Micah is honest to a fault – well, all except that stealing my horse thing. And he’s powerful – except for that allowing himself to be blackmailed. Maybe we should just go on to the next question.
Hah! Good one. But how would he describe you? He would probably say that I’m not worth all the trouble I’ve caused. I’m just making light. We’re very close now. He never fails to say I’m beautiful, and I just hope he’s not making light there.
What is your choice in careers? I don’t have a career. Many women in the Civil War era didn’t. But I do love working on the farm and cooking. Sewing is also a big interest with me.
What is your biggest fear? For a long time, I was afraid I would be charged with treason for helping the slave children. Once that passed, there seemed to be a long string of people and events just waiting to terrorize me. Good thing I’m a strong woman!
How do you relax? I make quilts. Lots and lots of quilts.
Who is your favorite fictional character and why? I would have to say Jo from Louisa Mae Alcott’s Little Women. Jo is the type of dynamic character we need in books. Women like Jo make the rest of us see that we can take charge of our lives.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? Sleep in churches. You’re safer there.
This has been a treat. Now let's talk with Mary Eleanor. What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer? I was greatly influenced by Harper Lee’s To Kill A Mockingbird. As a southern woman, I heard the pride and determination in her words that many of us really need to get to the place we long to be.
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? When my eldest son went to college, he was situated about an hour or less from Jellico, Tennessee. Our home is in the north-central area of Kentucky. It was a long drive from home to that school and back. It gave me a lot of time to think. Sometimes I would take the scenic route on Highway 80 through Pulaski and Russell counties where my parents were from, so naturally Daddy’s tales about his grandfather in the Civil War began to mesh with the scenery. About the third trip around, I had a carload of characters and a story in my head.
Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? I had stopped submitting work after years of rejections. Last winter I was really down, and my son suggested I start writing and submitting again. I contacted a friend, Carolyn Brown, and asked for her advice. I respect Carolyn as an admirable writer and I knew her experience in the field would be trustworthy. When she suggested Wild Rose Press, I tried it. The rest is history – or maybe her story. It has been a huge thrill to see my work on www.wildrosepress.com, www.amazon.com, and www.barnesandnoble.com.

What project[s] are you working on now? I’m working on edits for my second publication, The Garden of Love. A bit longer and with a more involved plot, I can honestly tell you that I can’t wait for this one to get out there.
What's up next for you? I must finish book four before I lose my mind. I keep thinking of things that would enhance the plot, so I’m constantly going back to weave in and take out. My greatest passion is writing, so I’m just going to keep on until I run out of stories. However, everything has a story so I hope to be at this for a very long time.






10 comments:

  1. Mary Eleanor: Your book sounds fascinating! I also write about the Civil War as background for contemporary mystery/Southern Gothic. Welcome to TWRP--a fabulous publisher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan! I'm so happy to be here. It's so nice to meet all of you.

      Delete
  2. Mary Eleanor, I'm more than eager to read your book as I'm sure it will be a delightful read. I relish the Civil War time period. I write 1800 westerns mostly, but have a Civil War one I put on hold yrs. ago--when I too, had rejections. I will be bringing that one out soon. I thoroughly enjoyed your blog today and wish you well in all you do and especially in a your writing career. Now aren't happy you didn't throw in that towel? I sure am, for me and for you. So who said those women in the 1800's were stronger and more determined than us today?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did throw in the towel at one point, Beverly, but my son dug it back out and forced me to go on. And yes, I'm so glad that he did. I look forward to reading your work.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a terrific read, Mary Eleanor. And welcome to the word of Published Author :) Best of luck with the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Barbara! Thank you, and I'm very excited to be among you.

      Delete
  4. Thanks to Susan, Bev and Barbara for responding to our invitation so quickly. We know Mary Eleanor is thrilled with this. We are.
    Kat and Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Particularly a Yankee man." -- I am dying from laughing so hard! It's been a long time since I've read a story set in the Civil War era. What a journey this one sounds like. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete