Monday, January 5, 2015

An Intuitive Hero

     Emma Prescott, determined and selfless, flees from wealth and her murderous father, seeking the love and forgiveness of poor cotton farmer, Kyle Lonnigan. 
     Although Kyle refuses to forgive her for her part in his father’s death, Emma stays and works her own farm. Over the next several months, Emma proves to Kyle she is not the spoiled girl he remembers.
     Emma’s sudden re-entrance into Kyle’s life only conjures long-buried painful memories. Kyle does his best to avoid her, needing to keep the pain at bay, and stopping her from reminding him of their last moments together before bullets shattered their world. But, he is unsuccessful. The love he denies is too strong, and soon Emma and Kyle are tumbling headlong into the past and passion.

Wild Women Authors is pleased to welcome hero Kyle Lonnigan and his creator, Kara O'Neal. 
First up is Kyle. Where are you from? Pikes Run, Texas
Tell us a bit about Welcome Home. In one night, I lost everything that meant anything to me. Because of that, I was angry. Really angry. And then the love of my life comes to Texas, askin’ for forgiveness, and turns my world upside down.
What did you think the first time you saw Emma Prescott? She was seven. I was twelve, and she was the wealthy boss’s daughter. She seemed like a princess to me.
And your second thought? She had the most beautiful eyes I’d ever seen, and I knew, if I wasn’t careful, those blues of hers would talk me into anything. Damned if I wasn’t right.
Did you feel it was love at first sight? No. I was only twelve and didn’t have thoughts concernin’ adult feelins’.
What do you like most about Emma? Her will. She is much stronger than she looks. If she hadn’t been as determined as she was, we wouldn’t be together today. Many times I’d described it as stubbornness, and the trait irritated the hell out of me, but now, I couldn’t be more thankful for it.
How would you describe her? She breathes life into everything. She is happy. And affectionate. Goodness and light. Sometimes easily distracted. She loves a good party. And I love to watch her enjoy them.
How would Emma describe you? Hell. I have to answer this one?
Well, yeah. I guess the first word would be stubborn. The second, hardheaded. I think she would also call me a protector, though. I make her feel safe, and I would do anything for her.
See? It wasn't so hard once you got used to it. But, we digress. What made you choose farming as a career? It’s what my father did. It’s a way to be close to him.
What is your biggest fear? Simple. Anyone I love dyin’, especially if I could’ve prevented it. I’ve already lived that, and it’s a hell I never want to visit again.
How do you relax? I spend time with my family. Eatin’, fishin’, playin’ stick ball, it doesn’t matter as long as I am with them.
Who is your favorite fictional character and why? Apparently it’s Mr. Darcy, according to my wife and cousin. However, I know that it’s really Huckleberry Finn. I wouldn’t mind floatin’ down a raft with Jim, going wherever I please.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? Trust my instincts. If I had done that sooner in my life, Emma and I would’ve found each other much quicker.
Thank you, Kyle, for your insight and wisdom. Now, we'd like to chat with Kara and ask her what movies or books had an impact on her career as a writer. Anne of Green Gables is a major influence on me, as is Little Women, but these came early in my life. As an adult, I found Jane Austen, and her novels are truly literary magic.
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? It wasn’t an event. It was a person. My sister influenced the story and the title. She is a determined person in a tiny package. I’ve always admired her strength.
Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? Resplendence Publishing was accepting historicals that weren’t Regency. I write Westerns, so when I saw that they were looking for something different, I quickly submitted. It was the right decision. My editors have made me a better writer.
What project[s] are you working on now? I am currently working on the sixth book in the Pikes Run series. It’s called The Soldier’s Love.
What's up next for you? More Pikes Run! I love these characters and before long every main player will have his, or her, story.
To purchase Welcome Home, go to:
and at Amazon: http://amzn.to/1s6yWyW

To learn more about Kara O'Neal, go to:
Twitter: @KaraONealAuthor

Thanks for visiting us this week, Kara and Kyle. We enjoyed it very much.
Kat Henry Doran and Veronica Lynch








25 comments:

  1. Great post! I enjoyed Kyle's interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maureen! Glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  2. Kyle & Kara sound like very interesting characters. Thanks for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane! Kyle was fun to write!

      Delete
  3. Love it when characters appear to be opposites yet drawn to each other--conflict possibilities galore! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Kyle and his heroine were perfect for each other and a lot of fun to write!

      Delete
  4. The interview made me fall in love with Kyle! I love it that he describes Emma as "Good ness and Light" and that he knows his hero is Huck Finn. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kate! I am in love with him, too. It was wonderful helping him find his true love.

      Delete
  5. Hi Kara,
    Kyle sounds like someone I need to read more about. :o)
    Best wishes for great sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katherine! I appreciate you stopping by!

      Delete
  6. thanks to all who stopped by [so far] and for agreeing with us: Kyle looks to be someone quite special. Not only for Huck Finn but for knowing whom others think he admires and for describing Emma as he did.
    makes us think about long held less than positive feelings about farmers [don't ask; it's too ugly to get into].
    Veronica and Kat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this character!
    Really nice interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Trish! And thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. I've read this series! Love the characters. It's great because former main characters re-enter the other stories. You get to see how they affect different characters. I love that because I always miss the characters after I'm done with a book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you are enjoying the series, Kristen! It has been great to get to know all the characters. I love all of them and can't wait to bring happy endings to each one.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for bringing these characters to us, Kara. Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a problem, Mary Anne! I won't be able to stop until every member, and some of the townspeople, of the Lonnigan and Davis families are in love and married.

      Delete
  10. Wonderful interview with a wonderful author!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer! I am glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  11. Awesome! I really enjoyed Welcome Home. Kara does an amazing job connecting her readers with each character in her books. Kyle is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kendra! I am so happy he is one of your favorites. He is my first hero so he holds a special place in my heart.

      Delete
  12. the response from everyone has been terrific, simply terrific. thanks to everyone. You make this blog stuff so easy!
    Kat and Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. Wonderful interview! I really love that Kyle didn't want to answer the question. LOL He's got a great personality!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another great post from the Queen of King.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for having me! It was a lot of fun. Wild Wild Women is a great place to spend some time. And thanks to everyone who stopped by. Your comments help my stories come alive.

    ReplyDelete