Monday, January 12, 2015

Destiny is Calling

This week Wild Women Authors is visiting with Maureen Bonatch author of Destiny Calling, a recent paranormal romance release out of Wild Rose Press, and a different type of hero: Griffith.
Where are you from? “When I agreed to the interview, I told you there might be questions I couldn’t answer. This happens to be one of them. There are some things you don’t want to know.” He glances away to stare out the window then sighs as he returns his attention to me. “Fine. The most I can say is that I’m from Pennsylvania.”
Tell us a bit about Destiny Calling. “It’s about the choices that people make every day.” Griffith’s eyes locked onto ours. “Because good or bad, there’s always a choice and that choice can change destiny if you’re not careful. Hope just happens to play a big role in my destiny.”
What did you think the first time you saw Hope? “Shit.” He raised his brows. “No seriously that’s what I thought, because after all these years there she was standing in front of me. I knew the game was finally on.”
What was your second thought? “She’s even more beautiful than she is in my dreams.”
Did you feel it was love at first sight? He shrugged. “Love? Lust? Infatuation? I don’t know what it was, but I knew I couldn’t stay away from her as much as I wanted to. Even though she’d be better off without me in her life.”
What do you like most about her? “Her spirit.” He gestured to the graveyard on the hill, partially visible through the dirty window. “Not that kind.” He lifted his drink. “Or this one, but the one that keeps her going day after day, pushing through all the hard knocks life has thrown at her.”
How would you describe Hope? “An angel and a devil all rolled up into one and she’s not sure which one she wants to be.”
How would she describe you? “I don’t know. I hope she sees me as the man I want to be, not the one that I am now.”
What made you choose managing a liquor store as a career? “I wouldn’t really call it a career, but it’s more like the most logical choice. The drink draws the Oppressors in, so it’s the best way to make a buck while keeping tabs on them at the same time.”
What is your biggest fear? “That Hope does choose me.” He stared at his drink, tilting it side to side so the ice bumped against the glass. “Or that she doesn’t.”
How do you relax? “I ride my motorcycle.”
Who is your favorite fictional character and why? “Fictional? There’s more reality meshed into fiction than most people would believe. That’s why I can’t say I have a favorite fictional character, because some stories turned out to be too real for my liking.”
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? “Don’t believe everything you see. There are always layers underneath the surface if you look close enough.”
Thanks, Griffith. Let's talk with Maureen for a moment. What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer and why? I love Stephen King’s book, “On Writing.” I’ve read most of his books and am fascinated with his writing process. I have a huge list of favorite authors that have all contributed to my writing and it would be difficult to narrow that down further.
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? I can’t say there was a particular event, but long walks and bike rides brought my love of the Pennsylvania countryside into the setting of the story.
Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? My publisher is The Wild Rose Press. I have a novella published with them and had a wonderful experience during that process, so I had no hesitation in sending them Destiny Calling.
What project[s] are you working on now? I’m working on book 2 of The Enchantlings, as well as several other manuscripts in different stages of editing.
What's up next? I have a paranormal romance that I hope to see published soon. Besides that, I will be doing a lot more writing and editing to launch my ‘book babies’ out into the world.
This has been a great experience. Thanks for stopping by with Griffith, Maureen.
Kat and Veronica

To learn more about Maureen Bonatch and the stories she creates, go to:










7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the above. Found a typo. Like acurse, typos follow me.

    Hey Griffith, looking forward to getting to know more about you. You kinda both scare and intrigue me. Feels nice.

    Maureen, your book sound wonderful. Can't wait to read it. Mega sales to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love paranormal and your Griffith sounds intriguing and conflicted. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Kathye! Griffith sounds wonderfully complex, as does Hope. Sounds like a good read. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does sound like a good read, a very good read. Thanks for sharing! (That's my line, MJ! ;-) Best of luck with your 'babies', Maureen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Griffith sounds like he has a lot of layers -- to steal his own words. Wow! Loved getting to know him.

    ReplyDelete