Monday, January 19, 2015

Visit With Barbara Edwards

 Evil never dies; and for psychic Rainie Gamble who accepts a job to weed out evil artifacts, this could not be more true. When she arrives at the home of Thomas Broquette, her new boss, she isn’t sure what to expect. But the handsome and intriguing Thomas is only the tip of the paranormal activity she encounters while going through his library.
After several near misses when Rainie is injured by evil forces, she wonders if her new boss is hiding a secret. What does the previous owner Mason have to do with the threads of doom encasing the estate? And why does Thomas bring her father, a well-known art thief, into their midst?
The attraction she feels for Thomas grows, as does the evil winning its battle against the inhabitants of what could be her new home. Rainie wonders if she will find and defeat the inhuman force causing all their problems before she and Thomas are sucked into its evil forever.
Wild Women Authors is pleased to welcome Barbara Edwards, creator of Ancient Curse, a current paranormal release out of the Wild Rose Press and Rainie Gamble, psychic and lead protagonist of this fascinating story. Welcome to you both. First up is Rainie. 
What made you choose antique appraisals for a profession? My parents were avid collectors and sellers while I was growing up and I learned to love finding items with an interesting story.
Knowing what you know now, if you had it to do over again, would you stick with being a fancy librarian or do something different? I don’t think I could change. I am what I do. I get so absorbed in my work I forget time, place, to eat or sleep. I love it.

What is your biggest fear? I’ve been lied to so many times that I fear falling in love and being betrayed.

Who is your favorite fictional character and why? Easy answer: Buffy the Vampire Slayer is my all time favorite. She’s so strong, positive and just plain kick-ass.

What is the best piece of advice you ever received? As myself or my alter-ego, Barbara, the best advice is to finish. Write the book. Complete the job. Do it, don’t think about it.
Thanks, Rainie. That was great. Now, it's Barbara's turn at bat: 
Which writer or character[s], from either books or movies, [or both] have had a major impact on your writing? Scarlett O’Hara from Gone With The Wind. I first saw the move when I was ten years old. When she stood in that field with a handful of dirt in her fist and swore never to be hungry again, I wanted to be strong and resolved like her.

With regard to research, where did you start for this novel?
The concept for this series started with a nightmare about the cemetery next to the house I grew up in. I’ve always known the town was different and my imagination let me expand that idea.

Did that lead you down different paths, thereby changing the original concept? Oh yes. I’ve taken the ‘Road Less Traveled’ with this group of characters. I love putting them in situations where they wonder what’s happening.

Tell us a bit about your publisher. How did you hear about them; what influenced you to submit to them; how is the submission process; what is the turn-around time from date of query to date of release? The Wild Rose Press is an active, involved publisher with a great group of editors. I submitted to them because they had been in business for a decent amount of time and I’d been burned by a publisher going under.

The submission process is easy. Go to the website and find out what they are looking for right now, then check the guidelines for different genre. Submit. You’ll get a confirmation of receipt shortly and then a follow-up.

I’m not sure what the turnaround is right now. Not more than a couple months, I think. From time of acceptance to publication depends on how fast any rewrites go and the line. Mine go out within months.

What are you reading right now? The other stories in the Twelve Brides of Christmas series, a holiday release out of TWRP. I contributed Book 2, Late For the Wedding.
The link for that one is http://amzn.com/B00OWLKDY6

What's next for you? The next book in my Rhodes End Series, Book Four is underway. My hero is struggling with the disappointment of not changing into a werewolf, his heart’s desire, when he meets a treasure hunter determined to find a secret in Rhodes End.

This has been super. Kat and I are so grateful you joined us today.
Veronica Lynch

To learn more about Barbara Edwards and the stories she creates go to:






12 comments:

  1. Hi Barbara and Rainie. Your story sounds fascinating. Going over to snag it now. I love paranormal stories. Can't wait to read yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathye. If you enjoy it, I'd love a review.

      Delete
  2. Terrific interview, ladies. Great to meet you Rainie. I have your story on my TBR list. Can't wait to get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rainie's profession is fascinating! What a clever premise for your series, Barbara! --katie o'boyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment, Kate. Hope you read them all.

      Delete
  4. Great interview. I'm always glad to get to know another Buffy fan. Bet of luck with the book, Barbara. I'm looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Brenda. Glad you stopped by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barbara: Love your premise--perpetual evil emanating from ancient relics. Fascinating! We share love of GWTW (book and movie for me) and our wonderful publisher TWRP. Good luck with latest work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun to work with. thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. Is anyone else thinking about the Brady Bunch episode with the cursed idol? Maybe that's just me...
    Enjoyed your interview, Barbara! Living next to a graveyard would have definitely spooked me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi MJ,
    I don't remember that one. Ah well.

    ReplyDelete