Monday, February 16, 2015

Featuring Katie O'Boyle

This week Wild Women Authors is pleased to have Katie O'Boyle, author of Finding the Way Back to Love, and male protagonist, Peter Shaughnessy visiting. Firs up is Peter.
Where are you from? Syracuse, NY, but I live in Tompkins Falls now.
Tell us a bit about Finding the Way Back To Love. Gwen and I fell in love while we were helping her niece, Haley, who was pregnant. Then, with no warning, everything fell apart for us. I didn’t think we could find our way back to love. I wasn’t even sure I wanted to.
What did you think the first time you saw Gwen Forrester? She was beautiful and classy, but I thought she was out of her mind. I mean, she was a psychologist working with addicts and alcoholics, and her office was miles from town. That looked like a disaster waiting to happen. 
What was your second thought? Then I realized she was a widow and hadn’t remarried even after 5 years. Something didn’t add up and I wanted to know what.
Did you feel it was love at first sight? No way! Sure, she was beautiful, but, like I said, something was off.
What do you like most about her? She’s really serious about helping people, and we are a good team. We found that out right away. And it wasn’t a surprise that we fit together in a lot of other ways.
How would you describe Gwen? When you ask me that, I picture her in that sexy, silver dress she wore to the Chief’s dinner. No one could take their eyes off her. But she’s more than a babe. She’s smart and tuned into people. A good cook, a good neighbor. She’s full of surprises. It never gets boring with Gwen.
How would Gwen describe you? Handsome and sexy, right? But, seriously, she likes it that I serve and protect the community. And she tells me I’m the one that’s level-headed. She’s right about that.
What made you choose law enforcement as a career? My dad was an alcoholic who couldn’t hold a job, and he was brutal to my mom and my sister and me. I always felt it was my job to protect them. After he died and I grew up some, I wanted to serve and protect the community, too.
What is your biggest fear? I got shot on the job when I was on the force in Syracuse, and that was the last straw for my wife at the time. I don’t ever want Gwen to be in that position. I’m hopeful it won’t happen again, now that I live in a smaller city and belong to the Tompkins Falls Police Department.
How do you relax? I run four miles after my shift every day, and I work out at the Y, but my all-time-favorite stress-buster is a hard game of basketball.
Who is your favorite fictional character and why? Walt Longmire. He always figures it out.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? My old partner Hank Moran called me out as the son of an alcoholic and told me to get counseling for it. Until I did that, I had no chance of making it work with Gwen.
Thanks, Peter. Now it's Katie's turn at bat. What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer and why? Nancy Meyer’s romantic movie, The Holiday, had a phenomenal cast: Cameron Diaz, Kate Winslet, Jude Law, Jack Black, and Eli Wallach. Those superb actors showed the strength and importance of each of the characters. Watching their performances showed me that every character ought to bring something important that will impact the outcome, and every character, even a supporting character, ought to change in some way by interacting with the others. That, to me, makes for an absorbing, memorable, satisfying story.
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? When I was in my twenties I wrote my first novel, and it was the story of a pregnant teen who sought the support of her favorite aunt. I had that unpublished book in mind when I started Finding the Way Back To Love. I enjoyed watching the new story take on a life of its own—much more complex and emotional than the first, and with a hot love story at its core.
Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? I pitched to Debby Gilbert from Soul Mate Publishing at the Lilac City Rochester Writers’ conference “Write On!” in November 2012, and she asked for the full manuscript of book one of the Lakeside Porches series. She thought the story would give readers hope, and that response meant a great deal to me. She has since published all three (to date) of the books in the series.
What project[s] are you working on now? I’ve completed book four of Lakeside Porches, and I’m spinning off a cozy mystery series with the hero and heroine of that book.
What's up next for you? There are more Lakeside Porches stories to come! I’d like to write one romance novel and one cozy mystery each year, now that I’m retired from full-time work.
To learn more about Katie and her stories, go to:
Twitter: @TompkinsFalls

To purchase any of Katie's books go to: 
Amazon: Stepping Up To Love, http://tinyurl.com/qdhr8du
Coming Home To Love, http://tinyurl.com/ogxm2z8
Finding the Way Back To Love, http://tinyurl.com/n8n79gw

Thanks for this visit, Kate and Peter. Many good wishes for great sales and future works!
Kat and Veronica 






10 comments:

  1. Great to be back at Wild Women Authors! I love your books, Kat and Veronica. It never gets boring with you two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, this is school vacation week! Finding the Way Back To Love makes a good addition to everyone's TBR pile. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie: Your new novel sounds compelling. Romance + Conflict = Good Reading! Best wishes for continued writing success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, so glad you stopped by! I hope you enjoy Gwen and Peter's love story. :-)

      Delete
  4. A great interview. Really looking forward to reading the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and commenting! I hope you love the book, Layne. Please drop a line on my website or post a review.

      Delete
  5. Kate, Golly, the Lakeside Porches series just keeps getting better and better. Loved Stepping Up to Love, have just started Coming Home to Love and thoroughly enjoying Justin's story. I'm sure to relish Finding the Way Back to Love as I adore sheriffs and cops and cowboys--any male lawman--oh my--the big rough tough guys who are really so very, very vulnerable and fragile underneath. Great interview. Wishing you much continued success with the entire series--and more.

    And Kat, thanks for hosting Kate so we know what is coming next in this delightful series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How sweet of you, Bev! Be sure to tell me what you think of CHTL and FTWBTL. And let me know if you try the gluten-free Pumpkin Raisin Muffin recipe that goes with Coming Home To Love! --katie

      Delete
  6. Thanks to all who have stopped by so far. Katie, Veronica and I appreciate it very much.
    Wish you'd brought some warm weather with you. heh heh
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kat, I have to tell you... My new HE washer has shrunk all my wool socks-- every one! Will this winter never end????? --katie

      Delete