Thursday, February 12, 2015

Welcome Urban Fantasy Author L.G. O'Connor

For the next few days, author L.G. O’Connor will be visiting Wild Women Authors with protagonist Michael Swift. First, a bit about the second installment of L.G.'s adult Urban Fantasy / Paranormal Romance series, The Wanderer’s Children (The Angelorum Twelve Chronicles #2):
Martial arts expert, Michael Swift, has spent months running from his attraction to Sienna Sargent. Not only does she have an uncanny ability to push all of his personal hot buttons, but she’s the only woman who has ever skirted his considerable defenses. If he wants a future with her, he must confront his tormented past head-on, or risk losing her and destroying the future of the Angelorum.
Let's talk with Michael first. Where are you from? Chicago, but I moved to Brooklyn, New York in high school. New York is home for me now. I live in Park Slope.
Tell us a bit about The Wanderer’s Children. Well, the Angelorum Twelve Chronicles are really one story told in four parts. The story starts with Trinity Stones, when my friend and the Soul Seeker in my Trinity, Cara Collins, turns twenty-seven and inherits $50 million. But the inheritance is just the tip of the iceberg, so to speak, as Cara learns the truth. She’s been chosen to lead the final battle between Lucifer, his minions, and the Angelorum, in defense of mankind. She won’t find out why she’s inherited the money until the end of the series. Kudos to L.G., you can jump right into the second book without reading the first if you don’t mind a few spoilers. If you read the first book after the second, you can see all the hints L.G. left out like Handsel & Gretel breadcrumbs.

In the second book, The Wanderer’s Children, we find out that someone chosen by the Angelorum had secretly sired children to hide the bloodline, and those children are part of the Twelve. One of them is rock star, Brett King. Great guy. He’s a bit blown away when he finds out. Then again, we all were. We all had normal lives before this… Cara had a chance encounter with him in the last book. We finally meet Lucifer in this installment. He and two his Lieutenants, Achanelech and Escher Grant, take the next step in their big plan to thwart us. And then there’s all the hooking up. Cara’s like a walking Cupid.
What did you think the first time you saw Sienna? I wanted to throttle her within about 3o seconds. Let’s just say that we had a hate-hate relationship from the moment we laid eyes on each other.
What was your second thought? The same but worse.
So it wasn’t love at first sight then. When did it all change for you? You’ll have to read Trinity Stones to find out.
What do you like most about Sienna? She can come off a little strong and intimidating when you first meet her, but that’s just how she protects herself. Now I see that vulnerable side of her, and I understand why she’s Cara’s best friend. She’s got a generous heart. She’s smart, sexy, and she puts up with me. She can be pretty impulsive too sometimes, but that works for me probably as much as it works against me.
How would she describe you? Ha! Yeah. Depends. When we first met, she thought I had a major stick up my…ahembutt. She wouldn’t say that any more though. I think she’d say that I was a good partner, and that she appreciates my opinions, especially in business. She’s a fashion designer for Nico Alda and I used to model. I have a pretty decent eye for design, so she’s been consulting with me on her current collection.
What made you choose to own a dojo and become a martial arts instructor? And what about choosing to be a male model before that? I started modeling when I was sixteen. It was the best way to make good cash in high school and on breaks from college. But I’ve studied martial arts since I was really young. I knew it’s what I had to do with my life. Teach people how to defend themselves…
What is your biggest fear? Not going there, Kat.
Okay, got it. How do you relax? Sparring with Simon, Cara’s fiancé and my former Trinity Guardian. It’s a great way for me to let off steam. That and… well, the other one involves Sienna.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? Find forgiveness somewhere in your heart to let go of the past. It’s the only way you’ll ever be able to move on. My father told me that… after he died.
Thank you, Michael. We can see that talking about yourself is not one of your favorite things. Let's give L.G. A turn. What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer and why? Great question. I’m drawn to books and movies that have strong paranormal or fantasy elements that also touch on the human condition and questions of faith and belief. Believe it or not, one of my favorite movies was Highlander, with Sean Connery and Christopher Lambert, which later became a TV series. In my world-building, I use the question of what happens when two people fall in love with different lifespans. It’s an interesting device for creating conflict. I’m an avid reader. Many of the adult and young-adult paranormal series released over the last seven years influenced my desire to write a series in the genre.
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? Two things: first, my experience with panic attacks as a teenager and into my twenties was the inspiration behind my protagonist, Cara’s, anxiety disorder; second, having at least one long standing relationship that can only be described as a soul connection.
Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? My first book was published by She Writes Press. I was part of the shewrites.com community and already working with one of their editors on my second novel. But with my second novel, I decided to micro-publish it under my own label, Collins-Young Publishing LLC.
What project[s] are you working on now? Gosh, too many things! I’m working on the prequel novella for the series, Hope’s Prelude, scheduled for release the first week of April. In addition, I’m writing the second novel in my Contemporary Romance series which has not yet been released. What I’m really excited about? I’m releasing a derivative “Adapted for Young Adults” version of my first book, Trinity Stones, on February 16th. I’m hoping to use this version in schools and getting the word out about anxiety disorders in teenagers.
This has been a lot of fun for us as urban fantasy is a genre we rarely have on our blog.
To Find & Follow L.G. O’Connor Online:
To purchase TRINITY STONES (The Angelorum Twelve Chronicles #1):  Indiebound | Barnes & Noble | Kobo | Apple iTunes | Amazon |www.TrinityStones.com
For The WANDERER'S CHILDREN (The Angelorum Twelve Chronicles #2): Edelweiss | SmashwordsAmazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo | Apple iTunes | www.WanderersChildren.com




4 comments:

  1. I am in awe of world-creators and yours sound compelling--thanks for a great post and good luck with the series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed reading Michael's interview. He's got enough attitude to make him hot! Love the cover! Best wishes to L.G. O'Connor! The series sounds fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan and MJ--two of WWAs' faithful followers. Thanks so much for stopping by.
    Stay warm wherever you are!
    Kat and Veronica

    ReplyDelete