Monday, March 2, 2015

Meet a Charming Cowboy

     J.T. Davis meets his match on the banks of the Buffalo Bayou when Angelique Morgan flashes her blue eyes. He is instantly attracted and in love. Even when he discovers she's from a wealthy family, and happens to be the daughter of his rival, he can't let circumstances keep him from winning her. 
     Angelique Morgan is yearning for challenge and finds it in the life J.T. Davis offers her. She falls madly in love with him and marries him quickly. When she realizes she may not be good enough for him, doubts plague her. So do the manipulations of her father, Kendrick Morgan.
     While Kendrick Morgan's spies threaten their fragile future, J.T. must get his cattle to the rail head in Wichita or lose everything....including his wife.
This week, Wild Women Authors is pleased to welcome back historical author Kara O'Neal and J.T. Davis from The Cowboy's Charms. First up is J.T.
Where are you from? Pikes Run, Texas
Tell us a bit about The Cowboy's Charms. Uh, well…I guess I’m the cowboy in this title. So, it’s about me and how I charmed an amazing woman off her feet. Took her right out from under her father’s nose and never looked back.
What did you think the first time you saw Angelique. I thought she was a figment of my imagination. She was just sitting there near the bayou, like some kind of water fairy. She was so perfect I almost couldn’t think.
That's a good one! What was your second thought? When I finally managed to talk to her, I thought her sass was gonna be too much for me to handle. I got over it quickly, though.
Cute. Did you feel it was love at first sight? No. But it was something at first sight. I didn’t even know her name, and I couldn’t get her out of my head.
What do you like most about her? Her fighting spirit. She’s a tough lady.
How would you describe Angelique? She’s an angel. A strong one. She’s my guiding light and the reason I was able to turn a cotton farm into a working ranch.
How would she describe you? Mischievous. Energetic. And probably dependable. She’s always telling me how she’s never worried when I’m around.
What made you choose ranching for a career? Have you ever picked cotton? It’s back-breaking, mind-numbing work for not much money. I hated growing cotton and wanted something different, something that could actually provide a steady income. So, I became a cowboy. It’s a dangerous profession, but it takes care of my family, my entire family, better than hoeing a row does.
Great answer. What is your biggest fear? Letting down the people I love. My parents, my cousins, children, my wife. Everything I do is for them, and if I was ever to shame them, I don’t know what I’d do.
How do you relax? I spend time with my family. Eatin’, fishin’, playin’ stick ball, it doesn’t matter as long as I am with them.
Who is your favorite fictional character and why? I like Robin Hood. Robbing the rich to pay the hardworking sounds fine to me.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? Life comes around once, so live it well.

Thanks, J.T. Now we know where Kara came up with the title, because sweetie, you are a charmer! It's her turn at bat.
What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer and why? Anne of Green Gables is a major influence on me, as is Little Women, but these came early in my life. As an adult, I found Jane Austen; her novels are truly literary magic.
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? It wasn’t an event. It was a person. My best friend inspired this story. She’s a beautiful woman whose will is the strongest I’ve ever known. Life has always tried to shake her confidence, but she’s given it a right hook every time.
Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? Resplendence Publishing was accepting historicals that weren’t Regency. I write Westerns, so when I saw that they were looking for something different, I quickly submitted. It was the right decision. My editors have made me a better writer.
What project[s] are you working on now? The fifth book in the Pikes Run series, The Soldier’s Love, will be released on March 25th. I’m currently writing the sixth book, Love’s Promise.
What's up next for you? More Pikes Run! I love these characters and before long every main player will have his, or her, story.

To purchase The Cowboy's Charms, go to:

To learn more about Kara O'Neal and the books she creates, go to:
Twitter: @KaraONealAuthor










4 comments:

  1. Love cowboys! Tough, uncomplicated, loyal...I've got to get around to writing that Western someday! Love J.T. and Angelique sounds amazing, too. Best wishes for THE COWBOY'S CHARMS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Conflict=romance and I loved all the same books as a child that you did. Good luck to you--and your cowboy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those books are friends to me. I am such a book nerd! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete