Monday, March 30, 2015

Meet Historical Author Beverly Wells

Wild Women Authors is pleased to welcome long time friend and fellow author Beverly Wells who brings Lorelei Webster with her from Bev's recent release, All For Love, an historical novel published out of Prairie Rose Publications. Welcome Beverly. First up is Lorelei.
Where are you from? Cheyenne originally, but I have recently moved to Toleman, Wyoming as their new school teacher.
What did you think the first time you saw Doctor Seth Taylor? Oh my, he was tall, dark and so very handsome. His broad shoulders and trim, sinewy physique did things for a frock coat that had me assessing him from head to toe, quite thoroughly in fact, to my shame. I couldn’t imagine how he’d walked across the dusty street and yet his knee-high black boots still glistened like they’d just been spit-shined.
Very nice. Very nice indeed. And your second thought? Since his eyes, almost black, regarded me as critically as the town’s angered men had just done, I felt mortified he’d witnessed the ruckus I’d caused—yet once again.
Did you feel it was love at first sight? My good heavens, not hardly. I had hoped when I met the good doctor, I would gain a comrade at arms to help me stop the abuse and neglect in this damnable town. But let me tell you, by his hesitation to shake my hand and the condemning stare he drilled my way, I wondered if we would even be friends.
This town sounds like it has become a character of its own, but more about Seth. What do you like most about him? Besides being so easy on the eyes? I’m just joking, because I am not one who judges a person by their looks, wealth or prestige. Therefore, I respect his dedication to his profession and admire his remarkable medical skill, aura of authority, preciseness, and honesty.
How would you describe him? Puzzling, very, very puzzling. As I already said, his dedication as well as his skill speaks highly for him. And when he treats his patients his genuine caring and confidence has them relaxing like trusting puppies without their mama and he instills hope within them. I am truly awed by his sincerity and knack with people. Yet he obviously, blatantly in fact, avoids any participation in community matters, other than fastidiously treating his patients. And I’m just itching to know why. Why he avoids any heavy discussions as if those voicing their opinions have the plague.
Again, very intriguing in terms of the plot structure. How would he describe you? Oh, he most likely has plenty of words to describe me that match that of the other men in town—‘feisty, Miss Neb-nose, impulsive, and trouble maker’, bitch. Is that enough? I do believe…and hope I’m correct…he finally understands and sees that I’m trying to help those in need even though I lack tact when I see abuse.
What made you choose teaching as a career? I love children and enjoy helping them learn about life in general, to develop skills they’ll need to make wise future decisions and a good life for themselves. A life they’ll be proud of whatever path they choose to follow.
What is your biggest fear, Lorelei? That I will again fail to either prevent another from needless harm or get them the help that’s needed.
How do you relax? I find it soothing to cook and bake. And of course reading a well written book is always on my list for a lazy day. Many might say walking is not relaxing, but I find it quite calming.
Who is your favorite fictional character and why? Hmm. I have so many for I love to read whenever I get the chance. It’s difficult to pin point, but I would have to say out of all the fiction I read, I prefer romance. And maybe that’s because I know I’ll never have such within my life. So I must say Jane Eyre, written by Charlotte Bronte, or one of the four sisters in Little Women that was brilliantly written by Louisa May Alcott. They were all strong characters, honest and stood by their convictions, yet were truly lovely, kind and loving women.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? Believe in yourself and stand true.
This has been terrific. You've made us want to read this story and find out why the people of a town would behave so badly, what sets them off against Lorelei and why Seth would avoid in-depth connections. Now it's Bev's turn . . .
What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer and why? When I was twelve, I went to the movie, Anne Frank, The Diary of a Young Girl. I sat spellbound through the entire movie by the emotional involvement I felt down deep as well as being captivated by Anne’s strength, convictions and determination. I had no idea I’d been weeping—most likely through a good share of the movie--until the end. At first I thought I felt the overwhelming connection was due to my godparents being Jewish and my dance instructor (since I was five) bore the scars across her back from being in a concentration camp.
But it was the emotional investment I experienced that enthralled me—totally and throughout my entire lifetime. I ended up reading the book numerous times and saw that movie about 5 or 6 more times. I was not into writing and didn’t really enjoy reading much during my teens and early adult life (other than what was required in school), but when I decided to try a hand at writing, I wanted to write something that would touch someone’s heart, have meaning and a powerful punch that had them sitting upright in their front row seat. Braveheart is another such story that captured me heart and soul. Of course it helped that Mel Gibson made me drool through the whole thing. And I must include my all time favorite—and yes, I still have my big picture-book edition-- Cinderella.
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? Working for years as a Public Health Nurse, I saw and was obligated to report abuse and neglect. And unfortunately I’ve had first-hand knowledge and/or witnessed many abusive situations among my own family members and friends. I also have dealt with teenage suicide and have helped counsel many teens along with their families. I feel having had such experiences and being deeply touched and affected by both circumstances, I could—I hope I did—show the emotions that not only my heroine experiences, but also my hero as well as with Jamie, the young troubled boy.
Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? I’m now with Prairie Rose Publications after reading several different lines published by them and liking what I read. The two owners are also authors who write in all of their lines. They publish westerns, western romance (all levels except erotica) whether it is contemporary, paranormal, futuristic, fantasy, historical as well as other lines including YA, middle grade, new adult that range from futuristic to fantasy, paranormal of varying lengths. They also have several lines in inspirational. Lengths vary as well—anthologies, novellas, full length. I just read one about WWII.
At Prairie Rose Publications, I can write long historical romance, short anthologies or novellas for different times of the year and vary the style and level of romance. I’d never written an anthology and felt honored to be included in the Valentine’s Day anthology Cowboy Kisses. Oh my gosh, I loved writing that short story where the cute-as-a-button five year old girl stole the show from my hero and heroine, that’s for sure. Here’s the log line—a woman on the run, a marshal sworn to uphold the law, and a little girl’s pleas to Mr. Cupid for a new daddy.
What project[s] are you working on now? Right at the moment I’m racing toward my May 1 deadline for a Fourth of July anthology where the kiss will ignite the fireworks. A Cowboy Celebration will contain numerous exciting and varied stories by some very talented authors and at the end a gamut of recipes will be included that are mentioned throughout each story. With rugged cowboys, daring heroines and a Fourth of July holiday, it should be a sure-fired way to get ready for a hot, hot summer.
What's up next for you? As soon as I’m done with the Fourth of July story, I’ll regroup and finish The Deaconess Hires a Gunman—I’m half way done with it. Did you know back in the 1800’s in Montana the law stated if a man sentenced to hang for a crime was claimed in matrimony by a God-loving, God-fearing woman he would be vindicated of his crime? Well, yep, that’s right. And oh boy, how that concept jumped out and bit me. So much so, I just had to throw a deaconess into the scene for good measure and see which way the wind blew. Oh yeah!
Anything else you'd like our visitors to know about you? If I may, I would like to just mention that when I write a story I more than not like to include a lesson learned, or raise awareness of an important issue, sooo you’ll always find a wagon load of humor to keep the topic from weighing heavier than a double-oven cast iron stove. After all, all of us read for entertainment and enjoyment and a good laugh or giggle never hurts. (Okay we also read to shiver with goosies while reading about that tall, sinewy hunk who doesn’t want to be caught). Well heck, I put humor in the shorter stories that aren’t as deep as the longer ones—just to make you show those pearly whites. My mama always said, ‘A smile a day keeps the soul happy and the doctor away’.

Gosh, I love hearing from readers and/or aspiring writers. I have so much to give back to so many for helping and encouraging me along the long road that I welcome any comments or questions sent my way or simply to chat. My email address is beverlywellsauthor@gmail.com .
I’ve just had my website redone and would welcome any and all to visit and read more @ www.beverlywellsauthor.com .
And if anyone is interested in obtaining any of my books, the sites are listed on my webpage or just go to Amazon, Smashwords, Createspace,--All books are print and eBook and eBook is also available on Kindle and B&N Nook. I love visiting with friends and readers on https://www.facebook.com/…/Beverly-Wells-Author/ or my other persona of Bev Lewis facebook—the two are linked.

Thanks so much, Bev! This has been a real treat.
Our best to you always, Kat and Veronica



16 comments:

  1. Kat/Veronica, Thank you so very much for hosting me today. I always find it most rewarding and fun to visit your site and read about all the other authors you invite. So I'm doublely excited to be here today. And I sure hope others will be as pleased that they stopped to say hi. I would like to point out that Cowboy Kisses(cover shown above) released Feb. 1, 2015 in time for Valentine's Day. Also I'll be randomly choosing one person who comments and will offer them an ebook of Cowboy Kisses or a print book of All For Love (which ever they prefer) if they will leave their email address so I can contact them. Thank you again, Kat, I'm again delighted be included in your wonderful Wildwomenauthors site, having you as a dear friend, and hope to see you soon. I look forward to doing future booksignings together for they are a hoot. Wishing you the best and much success with your own writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your inclusion of a lesson learned in your writing. I love to massage themes--sometimes include morals in my novels. Intriguing pair of characters for the romance! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, thank you so much for stopping by and commenting. Glad you enjoyed meeting Lorelei and Seth--they were so much fun to create--shouldn't have been matched in a hundred years, yet a stronger love couldn't be had. I love to include raising awareness of an issue, or a lesson learned as it really does force me to include more humor. And by doing so, I'm more delighted knowing my reader shared a good laugh along the way. Wishing you much success also.

      Delete
  3. Bev, I'm late! But I made it! LOL Just wanted to say how much I have enjoyed working with you and your stories. You really have a great way of bringing your characters and situations to life and putting realism in your stories, and that is a true gift.

    We are so thrilled to have you with us at Prairie Rose Publications! Can't wait to see what you've got coming our way next.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, Thanks so much for stopping by and the compliments on my writing. I more than appreciate it. And it's my delight for sure to be part of PRP. What a terrific group of authors. You have all inspired me.

      Delete
    2. Hi, Cheryl
      thanks so much for stopping by
      I know Bev is pleased and so are we!
      Best,
      Kat and Veronica

      Delete
  4. Bev, I'm even later. I am thrilled to hear you are working on a story for A Cowboy Celebration. I do so love humor in anything I read, and a wagon load of it is even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Livia, I'm so very pleased that you stopped by. It was lonesome here for a while. I felt so leery writing my first anthology for (Cowboy Kissses). I'd never written a short story before, but this time around I'm excited and finally on my way. And you've created another fantastic cover for Cowboy Celebration. You are so very clever. Keep them coming.

      Delete
    2. Hi, Livia
      thanks for stopping by. Your comments are greatly appreciated.
      Kat and Veronica

      Delete
  5. I'm here, too. Busy week.

    I always enjoy learning more about sister authors -- especially authors whose sense of humor I admire. Bev, reading your stories is a pure joy. Can't wait to see what you write for the July 4 anthology! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathleen, first thank you so much for joining me here, and second thanks for the word on google+. You have been more than helpful and encouraging. I'm slowing gaining knowledge re: the social media world and it's all because of you and the others @ PRP inspiring and showing me the way. Wishing you the best.

      Delete
    2. Kathleen
      agree completely. Bev's humor has always shown through in her work from the very beginning.
      Kat and Veronica

      Delete
  6. Hi Bev,
    I so loved your story in Cowboy Kisses. Your novel sounds wonderful. I hope to read it soon! All the best to a fellow Rose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kristy
      thanks so much for stopping by. It means a lot to both Bev and us.
      Kat and Veronica

      Delete
  7. Kristy, thank you so much for stopping by to say hi. And so glad you liked Hopes and Dreams in Cowboy Kisses. I had so much fun writing it. And I enjoyed your A Westward Adventure in that same anthology. Gosh it's so much fun to part of the PRP team. Hope to read more of your terrific stories as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm am just so tickled to say that when I put the names in a basket and picked out a name for the winner of a book, I came up with Kat/Veronica Lynch. Since Kat hosted me for my first novel, Only When the Loon Sings, and now this time for my second, I added her name to the others. And I'm just as pleased as punch she won since she is always hosting so many of us on her site or helping other writers and authors succeed in the writing world. Congratulations Kat/Veronica, and thank you again for being a dear friend, mentor and host--oh a fantastic author I might add. Hope you enjoy your adventure with Lorelei. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete