Monday, April 6, 2015

Meet Kara O'Neal's New Man!

     After Eulalie Miller was left at the altar, her younger sisters, Susannah and Lucy, pledge to never forsake her, not suspecting the vow would label them "Spinster Sisters". Neither did they realize Eulalie would become so formidable, the male population would be too scared to darken their doorstep.
     But, while Eulalie makes it her mission to protect her sisters from men, she can't stop Brady Callahan, the saloon owner, from turning Susannah's head. Nor can she keep Harold Dawson, recently widowed, from stealing Lucy's heart. And when Richard Morrison comes calling for Eulalie, expecting courtship, marriage, and her love, Eulalie’s world is turned on its axis.
     As the "Spinster Sisters" tumble into romance, the people of Pikes Run might have to seek a new title for them. One of distinction and hope…
With that, Wild Women Authors is pleased to welcome back Kara O'Neal and Brady Callahan from Kara's latest release, The Miller Brides. First up is Brady.
Where are you from? Texas. We moved around a lot, so I’m not really from a particular city.
Tell us a bit about The Miller Brides. It’s about the love three sisters have for each other. They all end up gettin’ hitched by the end of the story, and I’m one of the lucky fellas that ends up tyin’ the knot with one of those sisters.
What did you think the first time you saw Susannah? I thought her corset ties needed unlacing. And I told her that. Eventually anyway.
Hah! Good one. And your second thought? I realized there was fire under all that prim and proper behavior she tried to present. I wanted to unwrap everything and keep it for myself.
Did you feel it was love at first sight? Possibly. She was so damned intriguing. I fell so hard and so fast for her, it might as well have been love at first sight.
What do you like most about Susannah? Her innocence. She tries to be worldly, but she’s too naive to completely understand. Still, she can get the better of me when she really wants to.
Considering your profession, Brady, that's an interesting response. How would you describe her? Hell, she’s amazing. I’ve never known a woman who can be equal parts innocent and feisty. It’s a killing combination.
How would she describe you? Can we skip this one?
No. Again, how would Susannah describe you? I guess she’d say I’m mischievous. And I probably tease her too much. But it’s so damn fun to do it. I think she’d also say I make her feel safe, which is important to me.
What made you choose being a saloon owner as a career? I enjoy havin’ a good time, and if I had some kind of town job, I’d die of boredom. I like bringin’ a good time to others, as well.
What is your biggest fear? Losin’ Susannah or our children. Early in our courtship, Susannah went missin’. That’s a hell I never want to repeat.
How do you relax? I spend time with my family or play a good hand of poker.
Who is your favorite fictional character and why? I like the Benedick fellow from Much Ado About Nothing. His courtship of Beatrice reminds me of Susannah and myself.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? Don’t play poker with drunk cheats. I almost never follow it. Gives Susannah the hives.
The hives. Another Brady zinger. We'd like to talk to Kara, if you don't mind giving up the spotlight.
What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer and why? Anne of Green Gables is a major influence on me, as is Little Women, but these came early in my life. As an adult, I found Jane Austen, and her novels are truly literary magic.
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? I have two sisters and a brother. I’ve always wanted to write siblings who have similar dynamics as the four of us. These women, and their irritated, but gruffly affectionate older brother, are just a glimpse into how my life was growing up.
Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? Resplendence Publishing was accepting historicals that weren’t Regency. I write Westerns, so when I saw that they were looking for something different, I quickly submitted. It was the right decision. My editors have made me a better writer.
What project[s] are you working on now? My fifth book - The Soldier’s Love - was just released on March 25th. I am currently writing my sixth book – Love’s Promise – where Thomas Miller from The Miller Brides is one of the heroes.
What's up next for you? More Pikes Run! I love these characters and before long every main player will have his, or her, story.

Thanks for spending time with us, Kara. Veronica and I always enjoy meeting your characters.
Kat Henry Doran

To purchase The Miller Brides, go to:


To learn more about Kara and the characters she creates, go to:
Twitter: @KaraONealAuthor









19 comments:

  1. Brady sounds like a right nice western hero. I love westerns because of my dad. While his westerbs weren't romances, I did get the writing bug from them. thanks for pointing the way to a new author

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brady was soooo much fun to write. I'm glad you enjoyed the interview!

      Delete
  2. Going from "Spinster Sisters" to Miller Brides sounds like good Western fun! I admire your creativity and productivity. Best wishes for continued success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and many thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Reading the interview and after I read the book, I realized Brady reminded me of someone in my life. What a great read! Can't wait to read all the rest. Such a switch from Regency!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brady reminds me of someone I know as well. I think all my characters have a little bit of someone I'm familiar with. Beware of befriending authors! Ha!

      Delete
  4. My favorite novel!
    The sisters are written so well.
    Love their developing relationships.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thanks. I enjoyed writing this book. Delving into each sister was a challenge, but I felt so fortunate to get to know them.

      Delete
  5. Great interview, Kara!! I love your character, and this really brings him to life. --katie o'boyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a lively guy! I adore him. (I frequently fall in love with fictional heroes. And now I'm blushing.)

      Delete
  6. Kara, your Brady sounds like a great guy--one sexy, sensual gentleman. Got to read this one. Those sisters don't stand a chance when men like him are out there. I too write western romance and I love those rough, tough western guys who are make the best heros. Congrats and wishing you much continued success. I'm looking forward to this wonderful read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Western romance is my favorite. I can't get enough of those guys! Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you enjoy the book.

      Delete
  7. Well, Miss Kara, your new man is a hottie! Fictional heroes are the best because we get to create them! This sounds like a great read. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I enjoyed writing him.

      Delete
  8. Another amazing interview! I love reading these, and Brady is delicious. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think he is pretty great myself!

      Delete
  9. I loved the interview and can't wait to get to know all of these characters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They were a lot of fun to write. I have two sisters and a brother, so it was great to explore that dynamic.

      Delete
  10. The response to Kara and Brady has been terrific.
    thanks to all who've stopped by so far
    kat and veronica

    ReplyDelete