Monday, May 4, 2015

Another Great Guy From Author Kara O'Neal!

      When Jane Lonnigan refused to marry him, Frank Dawson got the hell out of Pikes Run and joined the army. As he took risk after risk, hoping someone would put him out of his misery, he consequently rose in ranks. Now he’s a First Lieutenant stationed at Fort Robertson, a crack shot, and the main communicator to the Chipsa tribe. 
      Frank broke Jane's heart when he refused to wait for her to complete her education. Still, as she embarked on her journey to becoming a teacher, she couldn't stop loving him. Her first teaching post is for the children of Riley Creek, the town Fort Robertson protects.
      When Frank realizes Jane has become a fixture of the settlement he is a part of, he sets out to guard himself from being twice a fool. But as life swirls around them, Frank can't help but return to her again and again.
     A mistake causes Frank to hurt Jane and make her believe all hope is lost. She runs home, needing the welcoming arms of her family. When Frank learns what he's done, he realizes he's been a fool. He races after her, intent on winning her back. Can he mend her heart and have Jane as his wife?

This week Wild Women Authors is delighted to welcome back author Kara O'Neal who brings Frank Dawson, lead character from The Soldier's Love, the latest in her western historical Pikes Run series out of Resplendence Publishing. Welcome, Kara and Frank. As always, we'll begin with Frank.
Where are you from? I was born in Baltimore, but we moved to Pikes Run, Texas, when I was eight.
Tell us a bit about The Soldier's Love. It’s about a woman, chasing her dream, and a man – me – who was too prideful to wait on her to fulfill that dream.
What did you think the first time you saw Jane? I thought she was the most beautiful girl I’d ever laid eyes on. And when she smiled at me, it was as if I came fully alive. That probably sounds dramatic, but I don’t know how else to describe it. 
Naw, it works for us. And your second thought? That I had to get close to her. I had to know her. There was a need in me, a yearning I didn’t know how to fight. I didn’t even try to fight it. And she had cousins who wouldn’t stop at beating me to a bloody pulp for pursuing her, but I didn’t care.
Did you feel it was love at first sight? Yes. I have no doubts about that.
What do you like most about Jane? She is the most loving person I know. She would do anything for others. Her caring nature soothed every hurt I had, and because of my mother, I had plenty.
How would you describe her? Her beauty shines from the inside out. Her happiness and kindness draw people in all the time. She can take care of anything, handle just about anything. She’s amazing.
How would Jane describe you? Dependable. And I hope she’d say I was caring. I try to give back to her as much as she gives to me, but I’m not sure I’m always successful.
What made you choose being a realty agent as a career? I didn’t choose this. Realty is my father’s business. I don’t mind the job because I get to work with him every day. I’m not particular about my profession. All I care about is getting to be around my family and working with my father helps me do that.
What is your biggest fear? Losing a member of my family or losing Jane to some idiotic, prideful thing I might do. There was a time in our lives when my stubbornness almost ruined everything. I never want to allow my pride to have control over my actions again.
How do you relax? I spend time with my family. We fish, play checkers, go to dances. I love dancing with my wife.
Who is your favorite fictional character and why? You probably haven’t heard of him, but I like Sir Pendergast. Jane made him up. She’s good at creating stories, and someday she’s gonna write them down. I’m trying to convince her it’s a good idea. We’ll see. I think she’d be a great writer.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? Even though I had a terrible relationship with my mother, she gave me advice I should’ve taken. She told me not to let anger eat away my heart. And she told me to go after Jane. If I’d listened to her, I could’ve saved myself and Jane a lot of heartache. Thankfully, I now know the value in my mother’s last words to me, and I practice them every day.
Frank, it was great chatting with you. Kara always invents the most intriguing men, Now it's time to talk with her for a bit.
What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer and why? Anne of Green Gables was a major influence on me, as was Little Women, but these came early in my life. As an adult, I found Jane Austen, and her novels are truly literary magic.
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? I’m sure we’ve all had moments when we allowed anger to control our actions. This book is about those moments, and how we can change and have triumph over self-pity.
Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? Resplendence Publishing was accepting historicals that weren’t Regency. I write Westerns, so when I saw that they were looking for something different, I quickly submitted. It was the right decision. My editors have made me a better writer.
What project[s] are you working on now? I am currently writing my sixth book Love’s Promise. It’s about accepting love into your life and allowing it to work its magic.
What's up next for you? More Pikes Run! I love these characters and before long every main player will have his, or her, story.
Thanks, Kara, for spending time with us this week and for bringing Frank to meet us. 
Kat and Veronica

To purchase The Soldier's Love, go to:

To learn more about Kara O'Neal and the stories she creates, go to:
Twitter: @KaraONealAuthor










10 comments:

  1. I loved Kara's The Cowboy Charms and this one sounds equally delightful. Write on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved hearing from Kara and Frank. They both sound like they have a great story to tell. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Every book in the series becomes my favorite until I read the next one! :)

    I think we've all seen Frank's stubbornness in ourselves or others which makes it so easy to connect to these characters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Yes, his stubbornness is a shared character flaw. I know it all too well! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome interview! I love how real your characters are. They can just jump off the page and into our lives. It's very easy to love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you so much. They are so much fun to write. I'm glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  6. High, girl!
    Wouldn’tya love a forever Upstairs,
    an eternity of aplomBombs??
    An extraordinary DHTML @ warp-speed
    with no zooillogical-expiration-date?
    With an IQ much higher than K2?
    Here’s what the prolific GODy sed:

    “Faith, hope, and love,
    the greatest of these is love -
    jump into faith...
    and you'll see with love”
    Doesn’t matter if you don’t believe
    (what I write);
    God believes in you.
    God. Blessa. Youse -Fr. Sarducci, ol SNL
    Meet me Upstairs, girl, where the Son never goes down…

    ReplyDelete
  7. High, girl!
    Wouldn’tya love a forever Upstairs,
    an eternity of aplomBombs??
    An extraordinary DHTML @ warp-speed
    with no zooillogical-expiration-date?
    With an IQ much higher than K2?
    Here’s what the prolific GODy sed:

    “Faith, hope, and love,
    the greatest of these is love -
    jump into faith...
    and you'll see with love”
    Doesn’t matter if you don’t believe
    (what I write);
    God believes in you.
    God. Blessa. Youse -Fr. Sarducci, ol SNL
    Meet me Upstairs, girl, where the Son never goes down…

    ReplyDelete