Friday, June 26, 2015

Fairest of the Faire

The renaissance faire is filled with characters and romance, but will it end in storybook love?
Schoolteacher Connie Meyers is suddenly a young widow, her husband killed in a horrific car accident. Heartbroken to find out he had gambled away everything they had, she moves to her sister-in-law's Midwest home to rebuild her life. A trip to the local Renaissance Faire with her nieces leads to a summer job as a costumed storyteller.
Avowed bad boy and fair performer Gage Younglood is infatuated with Connie at first sight. Despite his deliberately commitment-free life, and Connie's don't-touch-me attitude, he soon has her in his arms, realizing quickly she is also in his heart.
When she is threatened by her late husband's bookie, he steps into the role of protector, his fate forever sealed with hers.
Wild Women Authors is pleased to welcome first time author Susabelle Kelmer and hero/protagonist Gage Youngblood from Fairest of the Faire, a June 5th release out of the Champagne Rose line at Wild Rose Press. Welcome Susabelle and Gage. As usual, we'll begin with Gage.
Where are you from? I was born and raised in Connor Springs by my single mother.
Tell us a bit about Fairest of the Faire. Performing at the RenFaire is always fun, and there are all these pretty women just ready for a good-looking guy like me. Connie Meyers is no exception.
What did you think the first time you saw Connie? She was so beautiful, her eyes the color of the ocean. Not to mention those hips, just made for a man to hold. 
What was your second thought? She looks too young to have two daughters. Turns out they were her nieces.
Did you feel it was love at first sight? I don’t believe in love at first sight. At least, I didn’t until I met her. Now, I think maybe love at first sight just might be possible.
What do you like most about Connie? The way she can look at me, like she knows what I’m thinking and can see right into my soul. And I love kissing her.
How would you describe her? Beautiful and honest. She never said anything to me she didn’t mean, and she wasn’t afraid to put me in my place when needed.
How would she describe you? Hot. Scarily irresistible. Is that a word, “scarily?”
What made you choose carpentry as a career? It was a lot safer than my first career as a cop. I found it much easier to deal with housewives trying to seduce me than it was to deal with people trying to shoot me just because of my badge.
Makes a lot of sense. What is your biggest fear? Losing Connie. When I thought she had gone over the loft railing, and there was no way I could catch her, I thought she was gone. I never want to feel that again.
How do you relax, Gage? Before Connie, I don’t think I knew how to relax. After Connie, I relax watching her cook dinner, or when we sit on the big porch swing and talk about nothing, or when we make love.
Who is your favorite fictional character and why? Indiana Jones. That guy has it going on. Knock him down, he gets back up. He believes in what he is doing.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? “Never leave a child behind.” My father said it to me when I was 13, and he was leaving us for the last time. He didn’t know how to be a father, and my mother had been a one-night-stand. He regretted that he’d been so careless. I was careful to use protection with every woman I slept with.
Thanks for the honesty, Gage. Now it's Susabelle's turn. What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer? I have been reading romance novels since I was a young teen. I started with historicals, but by the time I was in my twenties, I was reading contemporary stories. My motto is “Love…is everything.” I believe that fully. So of course romance novels fall right into my thirst for love and happy endings. I love impossible romances, or surprise romances. One of my favorite romantic films is A Walk in the Clouds. It is an impossible love, a surprise love. Gets me every time I watch it.
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? I was inspired to create Gage Youngblood after attending a RenFaire with my best friend and our daughters. He is fashioned after a player we met there. So many good looking men at the fair, and so many beautifully-dressed women. The RenFaire feels so romantic, so why not set a story in one? You can read more about my writing and where I find inspiration by visiting my website at www.susabelle.com.
Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? I queried The Wild Rose Press (www.TheWildRosePress.com) after the recommendation of a friend in a writing group who had just signed a contract with them. Of course, it was about 4 years between when she recommended them and when I finally gathered the guts to send the query. I was more shocked than anyone when they asked for the full manuscript for a read. The Wild Rose Press only publishes romances, and is a small enough company that I get what feels like personal support and guidance, but big enough to get me out in the market at publication time. I’m very happy with them.
You can order Fairest of the Faire from them or through Amazon or Barnes and Noble (for the Nook), by going to this address:
http://www.wildrosepublishing.com/maincatalog_v151/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=6250
What project[s] are you working on now? I’m working on my second novel, which remains without a title until I think of something clever. I hope to have it completed by the end of 2015 so it can be queried to The Wild Rose Press.
What's up next for you? Much of my energy is being taken up with marketing Fairest of the Faire and navigating a complex publishing world. It has been a fascinating journey, and I hope to continue along this path! In the meantime, when I’m not writing, I’m working in my vegetable garden and spending time in the Rocky Mountains, which are practically in my back yard here in Colorado.

Thanks for visiting Wild Women Authors, Susabelle. We wish you luck with this story and those we're sure will come. . .
Kat and Veronica

17 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting me today on Wild Wild Women! I really love the "ask the character" format of the interview. I love my characters, and it's nice to let them speak in their own words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview, ladies. I enjoyed reading about Gage and what inspired you to write the book. Best wishes, Susabelle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed hearing about you and your characters, Susabelle. Connie sounds lovely, and Gage ever lovelier! Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gage is one hot man. It was so much fun getting to "interview" him for this blog.

      Delete
  4. Terrific interview. I love the character being interviewed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a cool twist, isn't it, Allison? I had no idea he had such snappy answers! He doesn't talk much in the book - a man of action more than words!

      Delete
  5. Congrats on your first publication and welcome to TWRP! Your characters sound compelling. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great concept! I've never been to a Renaissance Fair but I love that era. Best wishes for you and FAIREST OF THE FAIRE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love RenFaires. So much fun!

      Delete
  7. Gage sounds like quite the character! Lovely excerpt, Susabelle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Gage. He sounds so sexy and what a great name. Wonderful interview.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never been to a Renaissance Fair, but it sounds like great fun, especially all the good-looking men! Best of luck with Fairest of the Faire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should find one to visit, Jana. They are so much fun, and the good looking people in costume - bonus!

      Delete