Monday, June 22, 2015

Shh. . . Don't scream

Murders didn't just happen in the quaint coastal town of Cole Harbor, Maine.
New York investigative reporter, Laura Friday, returns to Cole Harbor to recuperate from a near-fatal gunshot wound. While picnicking on her aunt's island, the ground gives way and Laura falls into a shallow grave landing on a woman's skeletal remains. Now someone is leaving white rosebuds on Laura's doorsteps.
Park Ranger, Bryan Cole, makes no secret of his attraction to Laura. Riddled with guilt that she's the blame for her best friend's death, Laura lets Bryan know she is only interested in a platonic relationship. He realizes he has his work cut out for him if he wants to win her heart.
A psychotic killer lurks in the town. The voices inside his head tell him Laura is the perfect woman. If she screams when he tries to love her will there be another grave to fill?

This week, Wild Women Authors welcomes Loretta Rogers and Laura Friday from Murder in the Mist, a recent romantic suspense release out of Wild Rose Press. Welcome Loretta and Laura. As always, first up is Laura Friday.
Where are you from? For many years I lived in New York City, but after being shot and nearly dying, I’ve returned home to Cole Harbor, Maine.
Tell us a bit about your book. “Murder in the Mist” is a journey into fear. Cole Harbor is a quaint seaside village where nothing exciting happens until a psycho begins to kill women. The antagonist’s favorite line is: “Shh...don’t scream.”
What did you think the first time you saw Deputy Sheriff, Mitch Carter? Honestly, I thought Mitch was an arrogant ass. But, I was intrigued by his western boots and his drawl, which further piqued my curiosity about him. How did a Texas cowboy end up in Maine?
And your second thought? My second thought was he’s a handsome, arrogant ass.
Good one. Did you feel it was love at first sight? Not really. You see, I'm jinxed when it comes to the men I allow into my life. They all seem to…die.
What do you like most about him? Being an investigative reporter, I can come on a bit strong. Mitch certainly wasn’t intimidated by my assertive personality. Plus, he made me feel safe.
How would you describe Mitch? My Aunt Phyllis said he looked like a young Robert Mitchum, you know, the actor. She also said the deep cleft in Mitch’s chin was very kissable. She’s shameless. Aside from being the typical tall, dark and oh, so handsome, I totally agree with my aunt.
How would he describe you? First impression…probably an uptight, bossy bitch.
Hah! What made you choose being an investigative reporter as a career? Aside from enjoying living on the edge of danger, I loved the limelight that comes after breaking a big crime story. Note, I said ‘loved.’ Being shot changes ones perspective on life.
Ain't that the truth. What is your biggest fear? After my best friend and camera man was murdered, I'm afraid the crime syndicate has put a ‘hit’ out on me.
How do you relax? It’s difficult for me to relax. These days, I seem to always be looking over my shoulder. Especially now that some weirdo is leaving white rose buds on my office door steps.
Who is your favorite fictional character and why? Hmm, I’d have to say Nancy Drew is my favorite fictional character. After all, she’s partly responsible for influencing my career choice.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? The best advice I ever received was from Mitch. He said, “You can’t have a tomorrow until you bury your past.”
Thanks, Laura. You have tremendouse guts and a snappy sense of humor. Now, it's Loretta's turn. What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer and why? Walter Farley and Marguerite Henry’s horse stories swept me away to many adventures. I was literally the kid who read under the covers with a flashlight. Books were my way to escape the rigors of a difficult home life.
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? Before becoming a teacher, I was a rape crisis/suicide prevention counselor. The antagonist in “Murder in the Mist” was based on one of my character studies. I hope, I was able to breathe life into this psychologically disturbed individual. While I wanted to make him real, I also wanted readers to have empathy for him.
Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? I first submitted to The Wild Rose Press in 2007. TWRP was sponsoring a contest. The prize was a publishing contract. I was one of the winners. Seven years and nine books later, I'm still happy to be a TWRP Rose.
What project[s] are you working on now? I’m waiting on edits for “Shadowed Reunion,” which is the sequel to “Murder in the Mist.” I hope the sequel will release by the end of this year (2015).
What's up next for you? My current WIP is a historical romance set in 1890 equatorial Africa. After I finish “Dancing with Lions,” I plan to write a murder mystery series.
Murder in the Mist is available in both print and Ebook at:
The Wild Rose Press http://bitly.com/1Gqvw0p
Amazon.com http://amzn.to/1LuQQ4U
Barnes and Nobles http://bit.ly/1aLw1pn
KOBO, and most online stores.
To learn more about Loretta Rogers and the books she creates, go to:
FaceBook http://on.fb.me/1FLxki6
My website: www.lorettacrogersbooks.com
Amazon.com/author/LorettaCRogers
www.pinterest.com/lorettacrogers
Youtube.com/user/RogersLoretta









33 comments:

  1. Great hook! Super interview, ladies. This book sounds like a real thriller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by Diane. I hope you'll enjoy "Murder in the Mist." Let me know. I always love hearing from readers.

      Delete
  2. Loretta: I love quaint little towns as setting for big, ugly murders! Best wishes from another happy TWRP author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I'm visiting Cape Cod in August. It will be interesting to see the places I researched to create the fictional town of Cole Harbor. Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment.

      Delete
  3. This sure sounds like a fun story! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing "Murder in the Mist," was fun, although there were times I actually 'creeped' myself out. Thanks for dropping by Susabella. BTW, love your name.

      Delete
  4. I'm intrigued as usual and looking forward to the sharp wit you always put into your characters. Good luck, Loretta!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra, wow! Thanks for the compliment. It's always nice to hear from you. And thanks for the support.

      Delete
  5. I loved it! The way the bodies "turn up" is inventive and creepy and the love story keeps you guessing. I can't wait for Shadowed Reunion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woot! Katherine. I'm almost finished with the first round of edits for "Shadowed Reunion." Hint: there are more bodies. Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment.

      Delete
  6. The book sounds fantastic! I like that you want to show the complexity behind what turn the villain into a killer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've given a great compliment Allison. I enjoy creating characters who could possible be real people. Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  7. Wonderful interview, Loretta! I especially like what Laura had to say. Readers will love Murder in the Mist. It's a riveting book to say the least!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always, Flossie, thanks for your support, and for leaving a comment.

      Delete
  8. Definitely a page turner. Loretta is a master at characterization and story telling. I always grab anything she writes, because I can count on a well-crafted and entertaining story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barry, I really appreciate your support. Thanks for the glowing review, and thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  9. Intriguing excerpt. Best wishes with your release!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angelina, thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment. Have a great day!

      Delete
  10. Awesome interview, love the format, and Laura Friday rocks!

    Linda Tillis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by, Linda. I like sassy heroines.

      Delete
  11. Love the interview Loretta! You really make your characters come alive and intriguing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ronnie, glad you enjoyed reading about Laura. She's sort of my alter-ego.

      Delete
  12. Loved learning about your amazing character Laura Friday, Loretta. And of course finding out more about you in this uniquely formatted interview. Looking forward to reading Murder in the Mist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had fun answering the questions, Barb. Thanks for dropping by and lending your support.

      Delete
  13. I'm hooked! Loves reading the interview with Laura and look forward to reading Murder in the Mist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, great! I love hooking readers. Glad you enjoyed the interview. Thanks!!!

      Delete
  14. Interesting interview, Loretta! It sounds as if your professional background gives you great fodder for your books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've met lots of interesting and scary people. One way or another they show up in my books. Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment, Sydell.

      Delete
  15. This does, indeed, sound very intriguing! I'm already wondering who this bad guy is. Thank you for the work you do with rape victims and people contemplating suicide. We need to take better care of those who suffer emotionally or mentally. They are often overlooked in our society. Best wishes for MURDER IN THE MIST!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your wonderful comments, MJ. Depression is often the cause for the choices those I worked with to make. Sad. I hope you enjoy "Murder in the Mist."

      Delete
    2. I appreciate your wonderful comments, MJ. Depression is often the cause for the choices those I worked with to make. Sad. I hope you enjoy "Murder in the Mist."

      Delete
  16. such a phenomenal turnout for this intriguing book and this experienced, equally intriguing author
    best wishes to all who took the time to stop by
    Kat and Veronica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VK and Veronica, thank you so much for hosting Laura Friday and her Aunt Phyllis, Mitch Carter, and me. I truly appreciate everyone who stopped by and left a comment, and offered their good wishes for "Murder in the Mist" success. Happy Reading and Happy Writing!

      Delete