Monday, June 15, 2015

The Detective's Dragon

     As a Halfling with little magic, Jamie is barely considered a Draconi, his sole talent finding jewels and lost people. But when he dreams of a human female in trouble, he has no choice but to save her, even if it means crossing dimensions into a different realm.
     Unfairly accused and placed on administrative leave, Detective Ruby Parker is determined to regain her position on the Denver police force. When an attempt to kidnap her fails, she must learn to trust the stranger who appears from nowhere to help her. Unlike in Draconia, Jamie's powers work in Parker's world, his longing to wield magic finally fulfilled. 
     But is working magic worth leaving his family and friends? When Parker realizes she loves Jamie, she must make a choice, follow her heart to a different world, or remain alone and attempt to regain her beloved job. 
     What happens when the one you love lives in another dimension?
Wild Women Authors welcomes Karilyn Bentley, author of The Detective's Dragon, a paranormal romance recently released by The Wild Rose Press. Karilyn brought police detective Ruby Parker with her and we can't wait to learn more about what's behind that intriguing tag line.
Where are you from, Ruby? Denver, Colorado
Tell us a bit about The Detective's Dragon. This is the story of how I met Jamie and how he rescued me. He had a few secrets I found difficult to believe. Like, he was from some strange land called Draconia where dragons roamed. Real, fire-breathing dragons. Yeah, right, was my first thought. In the end, I believed him. You'll have to read the story to find out how we resolved our differences.
What did you think the first time you saw Jamie? I thought he was the hottest guy I'd ever laid eyes on. 
What was your second thought? I'm embarrassed to say I thought he worked with the men who tried to kidnap me.
Did you feel it was love at first sight? Not at first sight. I mean, he was smokin' hot, but there was that whole was he/wasn't he working with the kidnappers. The love came a short while later.
What do you like most about him? He's always there when I need him.
How would you describe Jamie? Reliable, dependable, my soul mate.
Soul mate; that's a winner in our book. How would he describe you? The one woman who completes him. He might also say I'm a bit stubborn.
What made you choose police work for a career? I liked helping people and my father was a detective. I thought it would make him proud of me.
What is your biggest fear? Losing my job.
How do you relax? Relax is a five letter word. I prefer to pick up extra shifts.
Who is your favorite fictional character and why? I don't have a favorite character, per se, but I love sci-fi movies for their escapism. It's always fun to see how screen writers envision the future.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? My father gave me this advice: "See beyond his lies. Discover his truth. Play along."
Excellent. Now let's talk with Karilyn. What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer and why? Sherrilyn Kenyon's books inspired me to write romance. I picked one up thinking it was a fantasy story, not a romance (until then I pretty much shunned romance books), but I loved that book (and I really wish I could remember which one it was!). That's when I realized romance had crossed into fantasy/paranormal and I loved those kinds of stories. So I started writing romance with fantasy and paranormal elements.
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? Is it bad to say I write fantasy so I can make the whole thing up? The only thing from my real life I put into my books is my voice. Granted, that voice is often in my head and not vocal.
Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? I write for The Wild Rose Press. The first time I heard about them was when a writing friend submitted and got a contract. But it was a contest that caused me to submit to them. Way back in 2008 they had the Got Wolf? contest. The top 6 short stories out of all those submitted would be placed into an anthology. My short story, Werewolves in London, placed and my writing career was born.
What project[s] are you working on now? The third book in my Demon Huntress urban fantasy series.
What's up next for you? I just contracted the second book in the Demon Huntress series so that should be coming out later this year.
Here's an excerpt from The Detective's Dragon:
The squeak of hinges snapped Parker’s attention to the door. Hottie stood in the doorway, one hand on the frame, the other on the handle, a look of determination plastered on his face. A look she was familiar with. A look she saw reflected in her mirror on a daily basis. A look mirrored on her coworkers’ faces when working a case.
A look she never thought to see directed her way.
Which was a bit unnerving, but not nearly as unnerving as the realization he’d followed her. He stood in the doorway like he owned the place. Or owned her.
Her limbs shuddered like a car without shocks. He. Followed. Her. Was he stalking her? Was he with the ones who tried to kidnap her? What was he doing here? More to the point, how did she get rid of him? Her muscles might be coming out of a deep freeze, but that didn’t mean she could hop off the bed and toss him out the door.
Where was the damn call button?
Parker patted the mattress. Hottie took a step closer. Then another. No button. Her heart shook an uneven rhythm, the beat a warning drum in her veins. Her hand moved faster against the mattress, searching, seeking, not finding.
Damn it.
“Be of ease. I mean no harm.”
She stilled, her hand paused mid-pat as if his words flipped her off switch. Deep and soothing, his voice stroked across frazzled nerves, slowing her racing heart. If he could bottle that sound, women would fall at his feet.

To purchase The Detective's Dragon go to:
Amazon: http://amzn.com/B00XCXYLP2
TWRP: http://www.wildrosepublishing.com/maincatalog_v151/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=195&products_id=6254
To learn more about Karilyn Bentley and the books she creates, go to:
Website: www.karilynbentley.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KarilynBentleyAuthor
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/karilynbentley1
Newsletter: http://eepurl.com/ba_0Rf
Blog: http://plottingprincesses.blogspot.com
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4051943.Karilyn_Bentley

Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/karilynbentley

21 comments:

  1. Hi there! Thank you for having me on today!! I'm excited to be here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire writers who make up worlds and their inhabitants. I, too, am a grateful TWRP author. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this format where we get an interview with the character and the author. You're book sounds like a lot of smoldering fun. Thank you for sharing the excerpt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked the excerpt, Allison! It was fun to interview Parker. :)

      Happy Reading!

      Delete
  4. Love your excerpt and the fact that she said it wasn't love at first site because, you know, that whole he might be working with the kidnappers thing. Sounds like a very interesting setup! Thanks for sharing it, and your talent, with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you MJ! I'm glad you liked the setup and the excerpt. This book was a lot of fun to write!

      Happy Reading!

      Delete
  5. I loved meeting detective Ruby Parker. Thanks for bring her along. Your excerpt was interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kayden! Parker was a fun character to write, I'm glad you enjoyed her too!

      Cheers!

      Delete
  6. Congrats on your new release! Ruby sounds like someone I would like to know in real life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Susabelle! I love Parker too! She's a great character.

      Cheers!

      Delete
  7. Very interesting premise and great excerpt. Ruby faces a tough choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it, Angelina! She does face a tough choice, but Jamie is a great guy and a dragon shifter. You gotta go with those shifters. :)

      Cheers!

      Delete
  8. Enjoyed the excerpt. Good luck with your release and sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy Ann! I'm glad you liked the excerpt!

      Happy Reading!

      Delete
  9. I enjoyed the blurb. Sounds like a great read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marlow! I'm glad you enjoyed it!!

      Delete
  10. Great interview! Looking forward to reading this story. All the best, Karilyn! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow. The response to Karilyn's interview has been super.
    thanks to all who took the time to visit and make a comment
    kat and veronica

    ReplyDelete