Friday, October 30, 2015

Meet Author Linda Carroll-Bradd and Aleen MacRae

Will a prophecy keep a lonely woman from accepting the promise of adventure?
     Aleen MacRae blames the lure of the sea for breaking apart first her family then her engagement. When her interest is caught by a man she sees both in person and in a dream, she resists—afraid to believe in her aunt’s prediction that her future is tied to the sea.
     Braden Williams is on the hunt for treasure buried centuries earlier by Rhode Island pirates. His search brings him to the property where Aleen lives. Collaboration on genealogy research draws them closer, and Braden steers her toward his true passion--sailing.
Attending a party with Braden’s family lets her glimpse what she’s been missing. An unexpected discovery before her date with Braden at the Halloween Midnight Organ Recital forces a decision.          Will Aleen play things safe or accept what this free-spirited man offers?

Today, Wild Women Authors is pleased to welcome Aleen MacRae, protagonist from Linda Carroll-Bradd's latest release Unlocked Treasure, part of an anthology out of the Wild Rose Press, Hauntings in the Garden, Vol. 2. First up is Aleen.
Where are you from? Born in San Diego, CA, youngest in a family that moved a lot because of father’s career in Navy. We settled in Newport, RI when I was 6.
Tell us a bit about Unlocked Treasure. Two people who are both researching their heritages—she’s looking for a link to the Mayflower and he hopes to claim a famous pirate as an ancestor—connect and then make a surprising discovery.
What did you think the first time you saw Braden Williams? I saw him on a motor scooter and thought he was a pirate come to life. 
Good one. And your second thought? That he was pushy and obnoxious.
Even better. Did you feel it was love at first sight? Not on your life. The first time we spoke, he opened his mouth and started making demands.
What do you like most about Braden? Now that I know him better, I love his spontaneity.
How would you describe him? Braden is a man on a quest for the next adventure be it on land, sea or air.
How would he describe you? As a person whose feet are too firmly planted on the ground.
What made you choose research librarian as a career? Because I love history and learning about the who of those who came before and created the city, state or country where we live.
Interesting. What is your biggest fear? That the sea will destroy my family even more than it already has. My father’s career caused my parents to divorce and my 2 older brothers have careers tied to being at sea.
How do you relax? I read historical romance and serve as my family’s amateur genealogist.
Who is your favorite fictional character and why? Lizzie Bennett from Pride and Prejudice, because she was ahead of her time in that she wanted more from a marriage than security.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? I’d always listened to the family prophecy that proclaimed only sadness comes by being connected to the sea. Braden taught me the sea is full of wonders if I just look hard enough.
This has been very intersting, Aleen. Now, we'd like to chat with Linda. What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer and why? I’ve read a lot of craft books over my career. Probably 2 most important until this year were Techniques Of A Selling Writer by Dwight Swain and Goal, Motivation, Conflict by Debra Dixon. But this fall I took a class on The Virgin’s Promise by Kim Hudson. This is the hero’s journey from the female perspective and is fantastic for developing a rich, three-dimensional heroine.
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? I’ve always been interested in our family tree and have only dabbled with the research. I believe my earliest tie is to a 1698 ship manifest showing one of my maternal grandmother’s ancestor’s arrival in America. So I wanted Aleen to be looking for a similar fact.
Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? I’ve been writing stories for The Wild Rose Press for years and have always liked the idea of writing stories with a seasonal theme.
What project[s] are you working on now? I’m writing the last two scenes to a contemporary story titled Anything But Flowers that was supposed to be a short Valentine’s-themed story that has grown in complexity and length.
What's up next for you? I’ll be starting NaNoWriMo on Sunday and will be creating a western historical set in 1886.

To purchase Hauntings In The Garden Vol 2., go to:

To learn more about Linda Carroll-Bradd and the books she's created, go to:



20 comments:

  1. Love these character interviews! Always fascinating.
    Good luck and God's blessings to ALL
    PamT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interviews with both Aleen and Linda! Happy Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your comment, Diane. Thanks for posting.

      Delete
  3. I love stories like this, where the hero and heroine dislike each other at first and then gradually learn each other's softer side. Good luck on your NANO project Linda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With sweet romance, I find starting with a bit of an annoyance helps build the tension. Thanks for stopping by, Patricia.

      Delete
  4. I read UNLOCKED TREASURE and loved it! That Kim Hudson class sounds interesting. Was it an online class or did you attend in person?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, (blushing) thanks. The book by Kim Hudson was used in an online class. I live in mountains 30 miles from any population center so everything is online. Thanks for posting, MJ.

      Delete
  5. You have such an imagination, Linda! And your fascination with research is the perfect complement. Thanks for creating a strong librarian as a heroine!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate
      thanks so much for stopping by--I knew you'd be intrigued by a librarian heroine!
      Veronica

      Delete
  6. Kate, I appreciate you posting a comment. I've always had a secret wish to be a librarian.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great interview. Aleen and Braden sound like interesting characters. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ali
      I'm so glad you were able to get through to the blog. Thanks for stopping by.
      Veronica

      Delete
  8. The sea is a fascinating setting and it also serves as theme--depth, life and death possibilities, relaxation, constant movement--etc. Your book sounds like a winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Susan
      as always, you're continued support is such a joy to Kat and myself. Thanks.
      Veronica

      Delete
  9. Great post, Linda! On your writing books, I found Debra Dixon's "Goal, Motivation and Conflict" really helpful as well. I was fortunate to see her at a writing conference, too. Your story sounds terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Leah
      I've been lucky enough to see/hear Debra present at two conferences, both of which were presented at our local writers' group. She is as real and genuine as can be and a joy to interact with.
      Veronica

      Delete
  10. Enjoyed reading your post, Linda. Characters sound like they're going to butt heads really well, yet learn a lot about their families. Intriging I was born in RI and moved to NYS when I was 5, but went back every summer and spent a month with my Grandma till I was 18. And I thoroughly enjoy digging into the past, whether it be re: ancestors or general history. Looking forward to another terrific read. Wishing you much success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Bev
      thanks so much for stopping by. Linda and I both appreciate the support.
      Veronica

      Delete
  11. Great interview. Good luck with your NaNo endeavor. I admire people who can write 50,000 words in 30 days. Hope you have great sales.

    ReplyDelete