Sunday, October 18, 2015

Meet Nick Forrester for a Little Magic

Wild Women Authors is pleased to welcome one of our own, Nick Forrester, lead character from Caper Magic, a romantic novella, part of the Hauntings in the Garden series, now available in print from the Wild Rose Press.
Where are you from, Nick? Syracuse, New York
Tell us a bit about Caper Magic. Cape Brendan is a small tourist town on Lake Ontario where it empties into the Saint Lawrence River. The town puts on Caper Madness, a month-long event celebrating all things Halloween. My uncle Hank is the chief organizer. I came up to help him out because he's not getting any younger and I needed to . . . spend some time with him before he . . . you know. I met Nunie Doyle shortly after I arrived.
What did you think the first time you saw Nunie Doyle? That she had legs that go on forever and that she ought to think about tying back her hair so that it doesn't blow all over the place or hang like a curtain of black velvet that clutches a woman in all the right—or wrong—places. 
What was your second thought? I reminded myself that a few years back she'd stuck her nose into things that didn't concern her and that led to my best friend and partner committing suicide. Needless to say, my thoughts were not exactly friendly.
Did you feel it was love at first sight? As if.
What do you like most about her? She is totally dedicated to whatever assignment she takes on—whether it's advocating for victims of abuse, or helping Hank organize Caper Madness, or running a station on the underground railroad. Nunie is fearless. Absolutely fearless.
How would you describe her? Tall, thin, long black hair that begs for a man's touch. She's got an Irish accent which is normally easy to understand and rather musical. If she's tense or upset, it thickens and she starts talking so fast it's impossible to understand what she's saying.
How would Nunie describe you? She called me a simpering git, which I think is a less than complimentary term. Truth is, I was acting like a complete hemorrhoid so I guess I deserved it.
What made you choose law enforcement as a career? As a child my parents felt boundaries or limits weren't necessary but I needed structure and guidelines. After my parents took off for better pickings, my sister and I were sent to live with Uncle Hank and his wife. They gave us all those things. As an adult I found police work met my needs; I stayed with it for almost 30 years, then joined a big law firm in Syracuse to head their investigation unit. I've been with them for a couple years. It pays the bills.
What is your biggest fear? Mucking up an investigation by taking the easier, softer way out of things and having a client suffer for it.
How do you relax? I like to listen to audio books when I'm driving so any excuse to drive somewhere is always top of my list.
Who is your favorite fictional character and why? Mitch Rapp who is the lead character in a series of political thrillers written by the late Vince Flynn. Mitch is a real piece of work and doesn't hesitate to speak what's on his mind. He lost the on/off switch for tact and discretion a long time ago. I also like Jesse Stone [written by the late Robert B Parker]; Lucas Davenport and Virgil Flowers [John Sandford] and Raylan Givens [the late Elmore Leonard].
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? Do your job to the best of your ability; don't hesitate to ask for help; think before you speak.
Thanks, Nick. What's up next for you and Nunie? She's appearing this Friday at MJ Schiller's blog. I'm sure I'll be mentioned, in vain, quite a lot. That's my Nunie who has become the light in my life.
Will you make an appearance in any future books by Kat or Veronica? I'm considering the invitation to make a cameo appearance in Kat's next book Love Walked In which is set in Cape Brendan and stars Rory McElroy and Druzilla Horvath from Embraceable You.






3 comments:

  1. Nick, I want to see you in that cameo role (and maybe more) in Love Walked In! I'll be watching for it :-) I absolutely loved Caper Magic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caper Magic sounds, well, magical! What a great conflict situation. Looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific interview. It sounds like a very exciting book!

    ReplyDelete