Monday, January 11, 2016

Charm Me

Summer Dawn Riley’s an extraordinary elemental witch whose troubled past haunts her. She’s created a calm life for herself teaching yoga and keeping people at a distance. Her life takes a one eighty degree turn when she enrolls in a women’s weapons class and meets ruggedly handsome Devlin Sawyer.
Devlin, a former Navy Seal, has sworn off women after two long-term failed relationships, but there is no denying his attraction to Summer. She intrigues him like no other woman ever has. Despite her attempts to ignore him, Summer is drawn to Devlin. His magic signature is strong, but he’s no warlock. Will Valentine’s Day magic find them a future together?

To continue our promotions of Candy Hearts releases, Wild Women Authors is pleased to welcome author Tena Stetler and Devlin Sawyer from Tena’s Valentine Story, Charm Me. We'll start with Devlin.
Where are you from? I was born and raised in a small town in Montana. I joined the Navy straight out of high school. Applied to SEAL’s and was accepted. I spent nearly 20 years in the SEAL’s. I loved it. But a series of events made me believe it was time to retire.
Tell us a bit about Charm Me. Here’s my favorite excerpt from the book. I surprised Summer.
Getting to her feet, she brushed the dust from her black yoga pants, tugged at the bottom of her bright orange tunic, and flipped the light switch on. A soft glow of florescent lighting flooded the large room, soothing Summer’s nerves. Guess she would never be the same carefree individual she was before the incident. Oh, shake it off. You’re safe and it’s time to get on with life. “Come on Pip, let’s get this place open.”
A massive stone fireplace towered in the corner. She picked up an arm full of wood and flung it in the general direction. Logs landed in the fire pit and neatly arranged themselves in a tepee shape. With a magic flick of her finger toward the hearth, flames raced up the aspen logs. “That’s better.”
She raised her arms, about to send the yoga mats back to their proper place when the heavy wooden front door creaked open. Piper rushed toward the door, teeth bared and a growl rumbled in her throat. Summer whirled around and yelped as Devlin ambled into the room, black hair tousled and glistening with melting snowflakes. His nonchalance at the dog’s approach surprised her as he slowed to a stop. Piper sniffed around him, backed up a few inches, then stood at alert in front of Devlin.
“You scared the bejeebers out of me.” Summer held her hand to her chest as her heart thundered.
“What are you doing here?”
“Call your guard dog off and I’ll tell you.” The corners of Devlin’s mouth curved up into a smile, a faint light twinkled in the depths of his dark eyes.
“Piper, leave it…come.” The dog gave Devlin a last sideways glance, trotted back to Summer and sat at her side.
What did you think the first time you saw Summer? My first thought as she walked into Moon Ridge Gun Club was WOW. I had to man the counter that day because we were short staffed. Her demeanor intrigued me. Confident, yet vulnerable. She kept tripping herself up, embarrassing herself, if you will. I tried not to notice, for her sake. I’m not good with relationships, was married to the job too long. But Summer danced in and out of my thoughts even after she left.
Makes sense to us. And your second thought? When she came in for the women’s gun class, she was determined, much more at ease. I had to help out, the class was large. Talking with her a little more, I discovered she had a wonderful sense of humor.
Did you feel it was love at first sight? Not exactly, but there was certainly interest on both our parts. She was hiding something, I could tell… but she wouldn’t talk about it, until…
What do you like most about Summer? Her determination and self-reliance. I liked the way she related to Piper, her companion, guard dog. She had complete control over that dog, but it was mutual respect. In my business I see military and police canine partners, it’s a special bond. Or should be, but I’ve had occasion to report undesirable behavior on the part of handlers.
How would you describe her? She makes me smile. Summer is loyal nearly to a fault, understanding, and self-reliant.
How would Summer describe you? Tough, determined and a great cook. At least that's what most people see.
What is your biggest fear, Devlin? Not being available for my family when they need me. It happened a lot while I was out of country with the SEAL’s on assignment. It was a driving force in my retirement.
How do you relax? I enjoy spending time at my cabin in Divide, in the winter cross-country skiing, and in summer hiking.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received, Devlin? When I didn’t want to screw up things with Summer, I called one of my buddies, he’s still in the SEALs but is able to retain a rock solid marriage. He told me to keep communications open, even when it’s something you don’t want to hear and above all be honest.
Terrific advice to end this part of the conversation. Thanks, Devlin. Now let's talk with Tena about what movies or books have had an impact on her career as a writer and why. I’ve always been a voracious reader. I love anything paranormal. Penned my first vampire romance in my tweens. I loved reading Nora Roberts, still do, but Molly Harper’s werewolf and vampire series makes me laugh. Romance seems to flow from my fingers when I sit at the computer. Well…usually but I love happy ever after endings. Life today is so tedious. Everyone enjoys a feel good book or movie. Don’t you think?
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? I took a gun class to get my concealed carry permit. The gun club was not what I expected, more like a big lodge. I’ve always loved animals, they are a big part of my life, so why not include them in my books? The Rocky Mountains are my inspiration, so sometimes I incorporate them into my stories. I write paranormal romance and have an overactive imagination, so that helps.

To purchase “Charm Me”, go to:

To connect with Tena, go to:



10 comments:

  1. another great character in what sounds like a very interesting story!
    Good luck and God's blessings
    PamT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry about that. Somehow my reply went under Susan's note.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Pamela! Glad you stopped by! Enjoy your day

      Delete
  2. A retired Navy SEAL and a charmed yoga teacher--wow! Now there's a pair ripe for conflict! Good luck with this charmer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for stopping by, Pam.
      glad you enjoyed the interview
      Veronca

      Delete
    2. Hi, Susan
      thanks for stopping by. This is a really cute story. Glad you like the sounds of it.
      Veronica

      Delete
    3. Thanks Susan. I appreciate you stopping by. That's why I picked those two characters, I loved writing about them.

      Delete
  3. Another winner! I've enjoyed your coverage of the candy hearts romances. They all seem delightful! I love stories like this when the pair begin at odds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another winner! I've enjoyed your coverage of the candy hearts romances. They all seem delightful! I love stories like this when the pair begin at odds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, MJ. This series has been a lot of fun.
    best wiishes
    veronica

    ReplyDelete