Monday, February 22, 2016

Meet a Shifter With an Attitude

This week, Wild Women Authors is pleased to welcome a new friend from the Candy Hearts series paranormal author J.C. McKenzie of Shift Work, a current release out of the Wild Rose Press. She brought along female protagonist Andy McNeilly who will begin the interview. Welcome J.C and Andy.
Tell us a bit about Shift Work. The story starts with the death of a prominent supe in our community. This death sets forth a domino effect I can’t escape. To add to that, a new street drug has my cop friend Stan asking for my help. He mainly wants me as a glorified drug dog because of my powerful sense of smell. But throw in a messy murder and a lover with a secret and you have a crapstorm of events that currently define my life.
A refreshing way to start the day. What made you choose working for the police as a career? Lack of other options. I used to be an assassin for the government, so social skills and interpersonal communication aren’t exactly my thing.
A woman right up our alley. Another refreshing part of the day! Knowing what you know now, if you had it to do over again, would you change anything? Yes.
What is your biggest fear? Becoming a victim again.
Who is your favorite fictional character and why? There’s nothing truly fictional in my world. Everything that goes bump in the night actually exists here.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
Short, sweet, to the point. Thanks, Andy. Now it's JC's turn at bat.
With regard to research, where did you start for this novel? Did that lead you down different paths, thereby changing the original concept? I started where I left off in Book 3 of the series, so everything flowed fairly natural for me. My main setting is Vancouver, BC, where I lived for years, so I’m very comfortable with my knowledge of the different areas. I’ve had this book plotted out and planned for over a year, so I knew where it needed to go, and thankfully, so did Andy.
It always helps when the characters know what they're doing and where they're going. Tell us a bit about your publisher. How did you hear about them; what influenced you to submit to them? I’ve been with the Wild Rose Press since my debut novel, Shift Happens, Book 1 of the Carus Series. I heard of them from a fellow writer who’d met Rhonda Penders, one of the owners, on a cruise, and said she seemed very nice and open. The Wild Rose Press has been very supportive in my writing journey.
How is the submission process; what is the turn-around time from date of query to date of release? I’m not sure what the current turnaround time is for them, as I submit directly to my editor and bypass a step or two. I do remember them being very prompt and helpful with their feedback in comparison to other small presses.
What are you reading right now? The draft of the last book in the Carus Series.
What's next for you? Finishing the Carus Series. At the time I wrote this interview, I was almost finished the first draft. Hopefully, by the time this interview is posted, I’ll have it completed and submitted to beta readers for feedback. Fingers crossed!
Thanks, JC. Meeting Andy has been an adventure on its own.

To learn more about J.C. McKenzie and the stories she creates go to: http://www.jcmckenzie.ca

8 comments:

  1. Andy sounds yummy. Love the title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was originally Night Shift, but there's two UF/PNR books already out with the title so I changed it :-)

      Delete
  2. This is the kind of stuff that makes a great series. I can't wait to hear about the next one. Good luck, J.C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As one of J.C.'s beta readers, I can tell you that she did indeed finish the first draft of the last book in the Carus series and it's going to be a great finale! All the best, J.C.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jana! I'm just waiting on a release date and can't wait to share the final instalment :-)

      Delete
  4. I love this series! Andy is such a fun to read about character. Best wishes for many sales!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karilyn! I love your Demon Huntress series as well. :-)

      Delete