Friday, February 19, 2016

Meet a WWII Air Warden

     When ARP warden Molly sees a light shining through the darkness of London on a cold winter's night in the middle of the blitz she's infuriated with the careless American who struck it. Doesn't he know there's a war on?
     Guy's just trying to find his way through a maze of unlit streets. He's very sorry and Molly reluctantly forgives him. When he accompanies her on her nightly rounds the two learn about each other, themselves and whether it's really possible to fall in love in only one night - especially when there's no guarantee of tomorrow.

For the next few days Wild Women Authors will have author Barbara Burke and Molly from Barbara's recent Candy Hearts release, Not2Nite. First up is Molly.
Where are you from? I have a flat in London, but my family home is in Yorkshire and I get up there as often as possible.
Tell us a bit about Not2Nite. The story takes place in London during the blitz, which was a period of relentless bombing of civilian targets during WWII. There’s a total blackout and I’m an air raid warden who runs into a lost American who tags along as I go about my work.
What did you think the first time you saw Guy? I was quite annoyed. The silly blighter was shining a light in the middle of a blackout. He could have gotten us killed!
Quite true. And your second thought? How charming he was. There is something about American men.
Did you feel it was love at first sight? No. I refuse to believe in it. Guy will wholeheartedly disagree, though, if you ask him.
What do you like most about him? He makes me laugh and he would never, ever let me down.
How would you describe Guy? He’s much more handsome than any man has any right to be. Other than that, he’s just about perfect. But don’t tell him I said so.
How would he describe you? I don’t know. Probably as someone too stubborn for her own good.
What made you choose air raid warden for a career? It’s not really a career. I’m just doing my bit to help with the war effort.
What is your biggest fear? Something happening to Guy.
How do you relax? I like to go to the pictures, read in front of the fire and take long baths.
Who is your favorite fictional character and why? Elizabeth Bennet. I like a woman who knows her own mind and isn’t afraid to change it when she’s proven wrong.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? Keep calm and carry on. This too will pass.
Thank you for offering that valuable piece of advice, Molly. And thanks for visiting with us. Now, a few questions for Barbara. What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer and why? Everything I’ve ever watched or read has had an impact in the sense of contributing towards forming me into the person I am today. Having said that I’d be ecstatic to have a touch even half as deft as Georgette Heyer’s and/or be able to evoke the atmosphere of Casablanca.
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? My parents lived through WWII and my mother was strafed by a German bomber. I think their attitudes, which grew out of those experiences, helped me recreate the mood of the time. Whether I did so successfully is, of course, up to the reader to decide.
Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? The Wild Rose Press is mainly an online publisher. I had received a rejection on a story from another publisher and a friend told me of another friend who had just signed with TWRP. I gave them a shot and they signed me right away. They’re great to work with.
What project[s] are you working on now? I’m writing a Christmas story about an aviatrix who used to ferry planes during WWII and now finds herself in a town she vowed she’d never return to, with a man she thought she’d never see again.
What's up next for you? Finish a Regency I’ve been working on for far too long.

To learn more about Barbara and the stories she creates, go to:
Barbaraburkeauthor.wordpress.com

To purchase Not2Nite, go to:







8 comments:

  1. I love war stories--especially those involving both romance and action. This sounds like a winner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it's a winner. I had a lot of fun writing it.

      Delete
  2. I read this story and loved it! Molly is a hoot, a true, strong Englishwoman and a force of nature. No wonder, since she has roots in Yorkshire! Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura, for those kind words. Yep, gotta be tough to be from Yorkshire.

      Delete
  3. I admire your ability to write historical fiction. All the research would do me in! The premise of this one sounds very intriguing, and the characters seem compelling as well. Best wishes for you and all your writing and for NOT2NITE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, MJ. I find the research is the best part. I often have to tell myself: 'Stop reading and start writing!'

      Delete
  4. Love, love, love WW II stories. I was born during the war, so as I was growing up, it wasn't history but rather a real part of continuing life for all of us whose fathers went off to war--and those whose fathers didn't make it back. Also, I had an (older) friend who lived through the Blitz and told me stories. (I also have 4 books with TWRP.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to all who have taken the time to stop by and leave a comment. Not2Nite is a great read. Glad you all enjoyed it.
    Thanks, Barbara, for joining us this weekend.
    Veronica

    ReplyDelete