Monday, March 7, 2016

Meet a Nurse Turned Demon Hunter

This week, Wild Women Authors is pleased to welcome sci-fi author Karilyn Bentley and demon huntress, Gin Crawford, from Karilyn's latest release, Demon Kissed. First up is Gin.
Tell us a bit about Demon Kissed. I'd love to! Demon Kissed is my second big adventure as a Justitian, or as I like to call myself, a Demon Huntress. This adventure starts out with a funeral and goes downhill from there. A murder, missing anthrax and a big scary demon make my job difficult. Here's the official blurb:
Gin Crawford, the world's latest demon huntress, has no time to mourn her dead lover as she's called in to determine why a demon attack occurred at the local medical school. And not just any demon, but the one demon that gives her demon-killing bracelet the shivers. A dead professor, a lab full of missing anthrax, and a demon who turns good people into minions complicate her life. Can Gin and her mentor Aidan Smythe solve the mystery of the missing anthrax and the identity of the demon before someone else dies?
Very cool. What made you choose Demon Huntress for a career Choose? More like chosen for me. I'm an ER nurse by training and I love my job. Then I found a mysterious bracelet in the pocket of my scrubs jacket and made the mistake of putting it on. Once it goes on, it doesn't come off, which means I'm now fighting demons and minions. I'm learning to like my new gig. It's not every day a girl gets to take out the walking evil.
Even more cool since we are a retired nurse and often fantasized about fighting demon residents and interns. We'll have to 'talk' later. Heh heh. Knowing what you know now, if you had it to do over again, would you stick with this new career or do something different? As I said, I'm learning to like this job. I like making a difference. So, yeah, I'm planning to stick with being a Demon Huntress for as long as they'll have me. How long that might be is the real question.
What is your biggest fear? A man's anger directed at me.
Hmm. You hunt demons yet a man's anger frightens you? We need to talk, honey. Who is your favorite fictional character and why? Han Solo. He's rough around the edges, has done things he regrets, but always comes through in the end. Not to mention I've always had a thing for Harrison Ford.
We knew it the second you mentioned being an ER nurse! We, the three of us, are sisters of the spirit. Let's do coffee. A bit of inservice training perhaps? How about a swim date? But, we digress. What is the best piece of advice you ever received? How to cover up a murder. It's not a piece I want to share right now. But I will share the second best piece of advice. It came from something I read when trying to straighten out my life several years ago: Acceptance is the first step. That's proved helpful in dealing with my new Demon Huntress skills.
Amen, sister Gin. You go, girl. Now, it's Karilyn's turn at bat. Which writer or character[s], from either books or movies, [or both] have had a major impact on your writing? Several authors have impacted my writing. Stephen King, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Karen Marie Moning, JR Ward, just to name a few.
With regard to research, where did you start for this novel? Did that lead you down different paths, thereby changing the original concept? While I did have to research certain things for this series (like fact checks, how police handle crime scenes, etc.), I did not have to do much research to start writing. Not many people are demon huntresses and those who are definitely aren't a thing like Gin! I am a pantser (writing by the seat of my pants), so while I know an overview of the plot/series I never know the specifics. In that regard, yes, things have changed since I first started this series.
Tell us a bit about your publisher. How did you hear about them; what influenced you to submit to them. I write for The Wild Rose Press. A couple of years after they opened for business, they had a call for short story submissions for an anthology. My story was selected as one of the top six finalists and that's how I got my start writing.
What is the turn-around time from date of query to date of release?Since I'm an established author, I submit to my editor. I'm not sure what the turnaround time is for new authors.
What are you reading right now? Silverhawk by Barbara Bettis
What's next for you? The third book in the Demon Huntress series, tentatively named Demon Cursed. As I write this, I'm about halfway through with the edits so it should be to my editor soon!

Karilyn brought along an excerpt from Demon Kissed:
The scent of sulfur hangs in the air like a demonic stink bomb. I want to slap a hand over my nose, but no one else seems affected by the stench. Must be a demon huntress thing.
Justitian,” Smythe mutters. “Not demon huntress.”
If you don’t like my new title, then stay out of my mind.”
He glares. I swallow. Cross my arms. Refuse to take a step back. I’m learning not to be intimidated by his anger. Go me.
My justitia vibrates, throwing me out of my internal battle, pulling me back to the land of death and minions. The blob of colors pulsates, a glowing reminder of a moment of terror. The moment the demon appeared to the grad student.
Granted, I’m still taking Demons 101, but I thought demons formed minions in private. Usually after the human committed a crime, not before. A tryout, so to speak. And maybe that happened, but it sure seems to me like the black blob of demon force appeared to the grad student smack in the middle of the hallway.
Or maybe that always happens, and I just now noticed it.
The justitia’s vibration grows stronger, trembling my arm, my veins. Not its normal excited tremor upon seeing a minion or demon. A rush of images spikes through my mind, scenes of terror coupled with blood and death, memories of the justitia’s former wearers captured in time by the entity in the bracelet.
I’m not the only one freaked out by the colored blob. How bad was this demon to scare a justitia?

This has been great fun. We wish Karilyn much success with sales and also with future stories. Please come back to visit us with the next in the Demon series!
Kat and Veronica

To learn more about Karilyn Bentley and the stories she creates go to:
Website: www.karilynbentley.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KarilynBentleyAuthor
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/karilynbentley1
Blog: http://plottingprincesses.blogspot.com
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4051943.Karilyn_Bentley
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/karilynbentley
Newsletter: http://eepurl.com/ba_0Rf

To purchase Demon Kissed, go to:
  • Amazon: http://amzn.com/B01AB5116U
  • B&N: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/demon-kissed-karilyn-bentley/1123272613?ean=2940157964696
  • TWRP: http://www.wildrosepublishing.com/maincatalog_v151/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=195&products_id=6639
  • iBooks: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/demon-kissed/id1076170387?mt=11



21 comments:

  1. A demon huntress? Now--there's a new twist for an old teacher like me. I feel I have spent years of my career squashing evil--no need to hunt for it! Love your premise and the characters sound out-of-this world! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan! I bet you have squashed a lot of evil. :) You are correct, there's no need to hunt for it! Unless you are Gin. :)

      Delete
  2. Great interview and excerpt! Bound to be a great read too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane! I'm glad you enjoyed it!!

      Happy Reading!

      Delete
  3. Your list of influential writers looks a lot like mine, Karilyn. Love the concept behind this series...and the cover is fabulous. Much success with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leah! I'm glad you enjoyed it! :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Kat & Veronica! Thank you for having me on with you today!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous interviews, with both ladies. Very interesting. Sounds like an excellent read, and a character I would love to learn more about. I like your choice of influential writers, Karilyn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Alicia! Gin is a fun character. At least I've had fun writing her. :) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good evening Karilyn and Gin. I injured both interviews. Already have Demon Kissed on my to read list. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Tena!! I'm glad you liked the interviews and hope you enjoy the book!

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post. I loved the excerpt. And, as a fictional character who you like--who doesn't adore Han Solo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy! You are correct, Han Solo is grand. I'm like Gin, he's a great character. :)

      Delete
  10. Loved the interviews! Sounds like a great novel! I love Han Solo, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great interview and excerpt. Hope you have great sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katherine! I'm glad you enjoyed it!! :)

      Delete
  12. I love the "it started with a funeral and went down hill." Ha, ha! You'd think that a funeral is pretty much bottom of the barrel! :) Enjoyed the interviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you MJ! I'm glad you liked the excerpt!

      Delete
  13. Many thanks to all who responded to this fun character and her creator.
    Karilyn, Kat and I appreciate your kind words
    Veronica Lynch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for letting me blog with you VK!! It was fun!

      Delete