Friday, April 15, 2016

A Reluctant Lover/Dynamite Shop Keeper

          When Eliska Spencer opens a bakery in Pikes Run with her friends, Cora Ann Carter and Sugar Fremont, no one suspects the women aren't what they seem.
         Jonas Boswell is enchanted by Sugar Fremont. He fights the attraction, not wanting to risk his heart after experiencing the death of his first wife. Falling in love again has never seemed possible or safe. But then Sugar appears with her bouncing, red curls and shining, blue eyes, and he is lost.
          Thomas Miller gives females a wide berth. After living with three sisters, he finds women frustrating and irritating. And Cora Ann Carter is no exception. However, her feisty nature and bold curves draw him in until he doesn't recognize himself. It's all he can do not to drag her down the aisle.
          Reverend Thurston Black had his heart broken many years ago. He swore off women and made his flock his priority. Then Eliska Spencer crosses his path. She is kind. And gentle. And giving. His heart melts, and he is powerless against her. He vows to make her his own.
          But the ladies’ past looms, invading their future and stealing their happiness. All the women want is to love and be loved. Can they achieve their dreams, or will the men in their lives prove too stubborn to forgive their past?

Wild Women Authors is pleased to have two visitors over the weekend, Kara O'Neal and Thomas Miller from Kara's latest release, Love's Promise, a historical romance from Resplendence Publishing. First up is Thomas.
Where are you from? Raleigh, North Carolina
Tell us a bit about Love’s Promise. It’s about three women trying to rise above their past. Unfortunately, me and a couple other fellas cross their path and cause problems.
What did you think the first time you saw Cora Ann Carter? The first time I met her, it was too dark to see anything. We were outside during a barn dance. Can’t say as I needed to be able to look at her, though. Her sassy comebacks hooked me in a blink, and I found her intriguing. 
'Hooked you in a blink'. That's nice. What was your second thought? That she had a good deal of backbone in order to shock me.
Did you feel it was love at first sight? I never thought that was possible. Seemed ridiculous. And while I didn’t love her from the first time I saw her, I knew she was different. She captivated me, and I became a better person.
Aww. What do you like most about her? She’s a fighter. She’s lived through a lot, handled a lot. I’m fortunate she’s the mother of our children.
How would you describe Cora? Sassy, confident, smart, and she can get to you with this tenderhearted side she has.
How would she describe you? This is easy because she tells me all the time. Grumpy, grouchy, cranky, impatient. But she trusts me, and earning her trust was a special thing for me.
Hah! Another good one. What made you choose owning a general store as a career? Everyone needs to patronize my shop at one time or another, so business is guaranteed.
What is your biggest fear? Losing my family. I doubt I could withstand that.
How do you relax? Make love to my wife would be first. Second is a nice glass of brandy and my newspaper.
Who is your favorite fictional character and why? I don’t read novels. I read the newspaper.
Hmm, lots of fiction there if you ask us. But what is the best piece of advice you ever received? Be honest about who you are and what you want. And I am. I don’t mince words.
Nice one! Now let's talk to Kara for awhile. What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer and why? Well, there are too many books to list them all here, but I must mention Nancy Drew, Little House, Little Women, and Anne of Green Gables. I adored stories about girls who took control of their lives, but still loved and allowed themselves to be loved in return. As an adult, Jane Austen is a new love. I’ll never match her ability, but she is inspiring.
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? Nothing from my private life helped shape this story. However, I have a loving family, and I draw on our interactions to create all my characters.
Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? Resplendence Publishing was accepting manuscripts other than Regency, and I jumped at the chance. I have enjoyed working with them and for them and feel they have made me a better writer.
What project[s] are you working on now? My seventh book doesn’t have a title. For those who have read other books in the Pikes Run Series, this book is Lonnie’s story. It’s finished and going through the critique process.
What's up next for you? Since the seventh book is finished, I have started the eighth book. There are 16 books in the series, and I intend to tell every story to the best of my ability.
Thanks, Kara, for your continued loyalty to this blog and for always giving us unique and fun characters to talk with. Please come back when the next Pikes Run book is ready. We can't wait.
Kat and Veronica

To purchase Love's Promise, go to:

To learn more about Kara O'Neal and the stories she creates, go to:
Twitter: @KaraONealAuthor

Kara brought an excerpt from Love's Promise with her:
          Glass exploded over Sugar Fremont’s head. She screamed and threw up her arms for protection but kept running. Heat licked at her back as smoke burned her eyes and shards of window pane pierced her skin.
          Women, some still in satin and black lace, ran in front of her, tumbling over each other as they raced for the backdoor. Through gray clouds of life-sucking smoke, Sugar saw light. With a cry of exultation, she stumbled into the morning air. Someone knocked her to the ground, and rocks cut into her skin as they rent a hole in her nightgown at the knee.
          Another glass pane exploded above her, and she shoved to her feet. Panicked tears overtook her. Sobbing, she staggered farther away from the burning structure. When she reached the outhouse, a safe distance away, she whipped around. Her heart flew into her throat at the sight before her eyes.
The Twisted Fairy was ablaze, consumed by flames yearning to swallow it whole. How had she managed to escape its fierce, howling force?
          The wails of the females surrounding her pulled her attention from the disintegrating wood. She scanned the familiar faces, looking for the ones she held dearer than the others. When her sweet friends were not in her line of sight, desperation gripped her.
          “Cora!” she cried, as she shoved through the women huddled near the outhouse. “Eliska!”
She called their names over and over as she stumbled through the mass of people that had begun to gather. Her breath came harshly, and dizziness assailed her.
          “Cora!” she screamed again, looking frantically through the horrified onlookers. Her desperate tears worked against her, obscuring her vision. She swiped at them roughly as she began to run.
          Before she got to the shed, a hand clutched her shoulder. She whipped around and found frantic blue eyes looking back. “Cora!” Sugar cried, as she pulled her friend into a tight embrace.
          After a fierce hug, Cora put her hands on Sugar’s upper arms and forced her to look at her. “Where is Eliska?”
          

17 comments:

  1. Hi! Thank you so much for having me. I love visiting y'all and sharing my stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we love having you!
      Kat and Veronica

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful side conversation to go with the book! Hearing from authors and how they come up with their ideas is always fun. Love's Promise was a wonderful story. I enjoyed following the three women through their journeys. Had the strangest urge to go bake something when I got to the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Karen! And I'm very glad you liked the book. It was a joy to write.

      Delete
  3. Great interview! I enjoyed learning about you and about Thomas. I love that the story is about friendship as well as romance. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alicia! And thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Awesome interview and excerpt. Can't wait to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane! I appreciate your visit!

      Delete
  5. Intriguing! Wishing you much success!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like another great Pikes Run book!
    Good luck and God's blessings with the series.
    PamT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I enjoyed writing it.

      Delete
  7. Such a powerful excerpt. You caught my attention and then some. Best of luck. This series should go far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  8. Anne of Green Gables is an all-time fave of mine. I've read all of the books in the series and others by Lucy Maude. Jane Austen is my hero role-model! Loved the excerpt and the premise sounds fascinating. Best of luck with Love's Promise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I appreciate you stopping by.

      Delete
  9. Love this excerpt! Gripping! Can't wait to read this and the other books in the series. The sensory detail you gives makes us feel along with Sugar. Great job!

    ReplyDelete