Monday, April 25, 2016

Mail Order Bride Weds Undercover Husband

. . . Secrets, saboteurs, a blazing fire, the other woman…love prevails. . .

     Beautiful Morgan Prescott has everything she’s ever wanted—except happiness. Determined to make her own way in the world despite her family’s wealthy influence, she answers a “Brides Wanted” ad and leaves New York City’s high society life for the wild Washington Territory. Though she has no practical skills, she’s determined to learn how to survive.
     Luke Kincaid is a private investigator, working undercover as a logging camp foreman to stop the saboteurs who are destroying the progress of the Union Pacific Railroad. Marriage to Morgan is part of his assumed identity, but he finds himself longing for much more—a love he can neither accept, nor return. He’s honor bound to another woman, Lucy, his dearest childhood friend—but Lucy has a wasting disease that has left her bedridden and near death.
     When Morgan is nearly killed in a blaze that has been purposely set, Luke vows to find the man responsible and make him pay—with his life. But Luke knows he must return to Lucy, as her time grows short.
     Can Luke and Morgan ever find their happiness together? They must put all their faith in the future, with A Love So Strong…

This week Wild Women Authors is pleased to welcome back a long-time friend and fellow member of my home writers' group, Beverly Wells. She's brought along Morgan Prescott from Bev's latest release Love So Strong, an historical romance released by Prairie Rose Publications. First up is Morgan.
Where are you from? New York City
Based on the blurb above, what did you think the first time you saw Luke Kincaid? I wasn’t too pleased with the overly delayed foreman since he’d kept me sitting on an uncomfortable bench outside the saloon while the other mail order brides conversed with their soon-to-be’s inside where it was warm. But when he finally (I wasn’t absolutely sure it was him as yet) arrived and hopped off the wagon, his tall rugged frame and wide shoulders all encased in buckskin were enough to hold back any squalling. Tough, lean and sinewy came instantly to mind and I prayed this it was indeed him.
Sounds yummy. What happened then? Well, when I ventured across the deep ruts in the road to reach his side, I landed in a most unladylike position with my feet in the air, my backside in the muck like a pig in the slop pen, I was totally mortified and figured he’d think me a klutz. Actually when I heard his roar of laughter that could be heard down the mountain side I wanted to lambaste him.
This next one is a bit out there, but did you feel it was love at first sight? I wanted it to be, but since I wasn’t the one he’d expected to be matched with—there had been a switch—and he gave me more than concerned glances, seemed almost leery of me yet I could feel a undertone of rising temper, I figured I was going to be a tough sell.
What do you like most about Luke? His strength of character.
How would you describe him? Hard working, dedicated, confident and patiently understanding. Oh, did I say he was very easy on the eyes? Actually I have a hard time keeping my eyes off him, and then darn it, I almost drool.
How would Luke describe you? Puzzling and he’d be right as I was totally out of my element in this wilderness and completely inept in anything domestic.
What made you choose to become a mail order bride? I wanted and needed to find true happiness and leave the false pretenses back in New York City. And if not lucky enough to find everlasting love, at least I hoped for true friendship.
What is your biggest fear, Morgan? Two fears occurred right off the bat after he’d explained the situation that he only needed a mock wife. One that he’d send me packing and second, that I'd end up with a broken heart when we parted.
How do you relax? Much to my parents’ horror I love digging in the dirt, planting flowers, pretty trees and bushes. When I did it in New York, it simply added another black mark to my gazillion faults. Here in Washington Territory I can play in dirt all I want as soon as the weather breaks, even vegetables now, too.
Who is your favorite fictional character and why? I’m sorry to say I don’t have a favorite fictional character as the finishing schools I attended insisted on “us ladies” reading only non-fiction. I contemplated sneaking a dime novel into my bedroom at home, but Mother went through our things whenever she felt like it and I’d definitely be sent away again if she ever found such a book in my possession. I did read Romeo and Juliet behind closed doors, but I didn’t like the ending.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again and that came from Luke.
Thanks, Morgan. It's Bev's turn on the hot seat as we ask, what movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer and why? Gosh, there are oodles of both filled with heartfelt and heartwarming emotions that have moved me, left me with such good, satisfied feelings in the end and maybe a bright smile on my face. That’s what I try to give my readers. From Anne Frank; Gone with the Wind and Ashes in the Wind; Brave Heart and Forrest Gump. I could go on forever. Actually I read and watch a wide range as I enjoy contemporary, paranormal, some sci-fi, YA as well as my favorite, historical romance. If it’s written well and I’m engrossed in the story that’s a good start. But it’s got to have some meat, a good dose of tension and some outstanding characters. And I’m hooked on romance.
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? Having worked as a nurse in the ER, ICU and private practice, I then ventured into Public Health focusing on home care and clinics. During those many years I met and cared for far too many patients who had been diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease). Lucy, my secondary character in Love So Strong, suffered from that disease. The strong sisterly bond between Morgan and Lucy as Morgan cares for her, I hope will touch the hearts of many. The letter and word boards with a knitting needle used as a pointer were what we used years ago to communicate with those who could only communicate with eye movement. Though written to be a humorous romance, I dedicated the story to Claudia, one of the sweetest ladies with a mountain of perseverance and a zest for life that I had the pleasure of knowing during her battle against ALS. My author’s note in the book tells more of her plight.
Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? I searched the web for a publisher who was interested in publishing historical romance, especially set in the American West. I found that Prairie Rose Publications publish western cowboy/historical romance, paranormal, contemporary romance, as well as inspirational, and YA. Now they also include westerns (not romance) and have added medievals, holiday anthologies and novellas. Every month they increase their lines.
What project[s] are you working on now? Prairie Rose published its first MEMORIES FROM MAPLE STREET, USA: LEAVING CHILDHOOD BEHIND—a collection of novellas of true stories by numerous authors. I missed that as I didn’t catch what it entailed, but by golly I joined the next one, MFMS, USA: THE BEST CHRISTMAS EVER and enjoyed writing the little story from my past to my heart’s delight. So, I just finished MFMS, USA: PAWPRINTS ON MY HEART and am waiting to be contracted--hopefully. I loved writing about my dogs—it will release this summer. I’m also half way through a medieval romance anthology The Chalice that I’ll be submitting in three weeks to be included within the collection entitled ONE HOT KNIGHT which is to be released during this HOT summer—And oh my, the cover—he’s gorgeous. I do hope my editor will accept that one too. The Deaconess Hires a Gunman, my historical western is half finished and has been patiently waiting for me to come back to their rescue. My summer vow is to finally give them a rest and let them work things out by finishing telling their story.
What's up next for you, Bev? Lots of Greet and Meets/Book signings throughout the local area during the summer, enjoying my son, DIL, and two granddaughters when they visit this summer and once I finish the Deaconess book, I’ll start another. I have several waiting to hit the computer—someone please tell me how to make my days longer.
Bev brought along an excerpt from A Love So Strong:
It came to him in a flash. Missy remained. Yet that couldn't be. She didn't fit the description of the woman Hans had chosen on paper two months ago. Hell, he lacked too much sleep to play guessing games. “So, spit it out. What happened?”
Luke watched Missy lean against the wagon. Lean? It looked as if she wanted to burrow into the wood.
Hans pulled his hands out of his pockets, gestured with them in front of him. “I chose my bride, and Albert claimed Lila.” Lila. Ah yes, Hans had raved about her. “Tom chose Sarah instead of Roberta, and Peter wanted Roberta.”
Was anything ever simple? After an exhausting day of catastrophes, and this hopscotch of brides, a headache threatened.
“And now the last two don't match, is that it?”
Hans studied his boots, drove his hands back into his pockets then glanced at Missy. “We don't know if they'll match. They've. . . just met.”
It took a split second for Hans' words t o register, to become crystal clear. No. Hans knew why Luke had picked Rosie. He wouldn't intentionally turn the tables on him. But lust and love would, by damn. It made men commit worse crimes.
He swallowed the lump in his throat. “You chose Rosie.” His words almost gagged him. He dreaded to hear Hans' confirmation. Hans nodded. Acid churned in his stomach, and a sour taste spiraled up to his mouth. He'd purposely picked a voluptuous dance hall woman who'd have no problem finding another man after he'd finished here. One who most likely would go along with his scheme and the proposition he offered.
Jesus! He was in a world of shit.

To learn more about Beverly Wells and the stories she creates, go to:

To purchase books by Beverly Wells, go to: Amazon, Kindle, Nook, Smashwords, Kobo




21 comments:

  1. VK, Thanks so much for again hosting me on your blog. I loved writing this story the first time around and now with its new cover and title, plus a few scene changes I'm tickled to get to offer it to readers again. So a big thanks to you for helping get it out there to share Morgan's story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we love having you visit, our friend. It's time for you to shine that wonderful talent of yours.
      We really like the interview--and Morgan of course.
      K & V

      Delete
  2. VK and Bev, this was so much fun to read! It made me laugh. I read A Love so Strong and thoroughly enjoyed it. the story took some unexpected turns and was quite a ride. I loved these characters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, thanks so much for stopping by and so glad I gave you, or I should say Morgan gave you, a few chuckles. So very pleased you like the story. And shortly I look forward to reading your very own MARGUERITE AND THE HIRED GUN. Ain't this fun?

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for stopping by in support of Bev. We appreciate it
      K & V

      Delete
  3. Bev, I really enjoyed this interview with you and with Morgan, too! I learned something new about her--that mother of hers, going through her things! LOL

    I really enjoy your writing style--you're building quite a portfolio of excellent stories, both short stories and novels! I'm so glad you threw in with us at Prairie Rose Publications! We're glad to have you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, I'm so happy you enjoyed reading more about Morgan. THANK GOODNESS you like my style of writing and the stories that I produce--I'm blessed to have you for my editor and am lucky you are so patient and offer me so much feed back and guidance. I couldn't do it all without you, Livia and Kathleen. I owe so much to all of you. I'm just loving being part of the Roses at Prairie Rose Publications. Thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to stop over and say hi.

      Delete
    2. HI, Cheryl
      we're so glad you stopped by in support of Bev. We'd love to feature more Prairie Roses on this blog.
      Hint hint
      Kat and Veronica

      Delete
  4. What a delightful interview, Morgan and Bev! I so enjoy your writing "voice." It shines in A Love So Strong, which is a beautiful story with both laugh-out-loud and tender moments. The relationship between Morgan and Lucy was unbelievably touching. And wouldn't we all like to have a hero like that hunky Luke?

    I can't wait to see what you've got coming next, my friend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathleen, thank you so much for coming over to again hear about Morgan and me, I more than appreciate it. It seems I've said thank you a hundred times to you before, but again I say a big thank you for all you do to help us novices with promo, social media and just understanding which way to turn. You come out with guns ablazin' and us newbies have to rely on you telling us which way to aim those suckers and do a fine job of it indeed. And for others reading this--say congrats. to Kathleen for winning the Epic Award for PRODIGAL GUN. An awesome story and we're all so very proud of you. Have a great day.

      Delete
    2. Hi, Kathleen
      thanks so much for stopping by in support of Bev.
      we appreciate it
      Kat and Veronica

      Delete
  5. I love Morgan's voice! Brava, Bev!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate, I really appreciate you stopping by to say hi and read about Morgan and me. I love doing these blogs and Kat is such a gracious host. So looking forward to doing upcoming book signings this summer with you, Kat and others. Hoping your LAKESIDE PORCHES SERIES by you, Katie O'Boyle are still going strong--I've enjoyed the entire series.

      Delete
  6. Hi Bev--
    The story sounds wonderful. It's on my Kindle and I hope to get to it soon. Loved the interview with both Morgan and you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristy, thank you so much for stopping by and so glad you enjoyed our interviews. Morgan is indeed quite the character and she had one heck of a time being so undomesticated and out of her element, but by golly she stood strong, learned what she needed to learn and do and I had such a great time watching her develop and grow strong. I sure hope you enjoy reading about Morgan and Luke, and especially the bond between Lucy and Morgan. Would enjoy hearing your feed back. And I must add I love your stories as well. Keep them coming.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for stopping by, Kristy
      we appreciate the support
      Kat and Veronica

      Delete
  7. Loved the interview with Morgan. I have to say please hurry and finish The Deaconess Hires A Gunman. I love historical westerns and they can be hard to find. Hope you have a fun productive summer. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katherine, well you hit the nail on the head if you're looking for historical westerns. Prairie Rose Publications has some of the best western writers going--some write paranormal, others contemporary, or just early 1900's (and anywhere/anytime in between)but there are a lot of historical westerns written and written extremely well--even have the Painted Pony and YA lines. Look up some of the authors at PRP, there are many more publishers also. Recently I was hosted by EE Burke on her Blog, GET LOST IN A STORY: E.E. Burke's "Best of the West". That Blog and PRP Blog not only interview authors but they have great historical facts and articles that are a delight to read--everything from calving to the baby bottles out west, to important people in the past. Believe I've learned a ton of western facts and does and don'ts from reading what those western gals share. I'm so pleased you enjoyed the interview, it was so much fun. Morgan to me is fun. Thanks so much for joining me today and brightening my day. I have gmail and you can reach me there if ever want to know where to find more info about historical westerns and/or historical romance set in the west. beverlywellsauthor@gmail.com Hoping your summer is terrific too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great interview--so fun! Congrats to you, Bev, and I'm so happy you joined the Roses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Jacquie.
      We appreciate the support.
      Kat and Veronica

      Delete
  10. Jacquie, I am too, the Roses are fantastic. I've been learning, slowly but I'm at least daring to venture into territory on the internet and do things I've never done before. Writing seems to be the easy part. But with the help of all of you who are so skilled at social media, etc. we novices are surviving. So thanks for your help and thanks for stopping in to say hi today. I more than appreciate it. And please keep those marvelous books coming. Talk about hiliarious. I can't get enough of them. I still adore the Much Ado series. The Marshall one I've read and reread. You have a gift.

    ReplyDelete