Monday, April 11, 2016

Visit an Austrian Castle for Murder, Mystery and Love

          In Austria to meet her great-grandfather and explore his castle estate filled with priceless art, August Myer arrives to find he’s died suspiciously. As one of the heirs, her life is in danger, turning this fairytale Alpine adventure into a nightmare of unexplained accidents, neo-Nazi threats, and murder.
          Inspector Tobias Wolf splits his time between his profession and fighting the spread of neo-Nazism. But when the beautiful, intriguing American crosses his path during a murder investigation, ensuring her safety challenges his priorities…and his heart.
          When August learns the handsome inspector’s involvement with a major female Nazi is more than he’s admitted, and the death of her great-grandfather is somehow connected, she takes the investigation into her own hands. The outcome could be the death of both of them.

For the next few days Wild Women Authors will feature author Brenda Whiteside visiting along with art gallery owner August Myer from her latest release, A Legacy of Love and Murder. First up is August.
Where are you from, August? Phoenix, Arizona
Tell us a bit about A Legacy of Love and Murder. Earlier this year, my mom searched out information on her birth mother. She found answers, but was confronted with lies, threats and murder. Now, I’m accompanying her to Austria to meet her grandfather so we can learn more about her birth father. What’s exciting for me is the fact we’ll someday inherit my great-grandfather’s castle filled with priceless art. I own an art studio in Tucson, Arizona so you can imagine how exciting this is for me. Things get complicated when we arrive to find Great-Grandfather has died suspiciously. As heirs to the estate, we appear to be in danger.
What did you think the first time you saw Inspector Tobias Wolf? He was rude and careless when he ran us off the castle road in his Porsche 911. His apology was pathetically lacking.
What was your second thought? I couldn’t help but be intrigued by his accent. He was impeccably dressed and had a James Bond quality I found quite appealing.
Did you feel it was love at first sight? Oh no! Although smooth and attractive, he’d been careless. Then he had the nerve to question my mother and me as if we’d somehow had something to do with my great-grandfather’s death.
What do you like most about him? In the beginning, once I’d calmed down, I found him not only attractive, but also interesting. His childhood home was a castle that his parents where his parents still live. He’s a bit older than I am, too, so his experiences have depth. His passion is to fight the spread of Neo-Nazism.
How would you describe Tobias? As I said, he’s an Austrian James Bond only not a womanizer. He’s very sophisticated and worldly, but rugged. He’s thirty-nine and never been married. I don’t know if it’s his age or his Austrian upbringing, but he’s quite gentlemanly.
How would he describe you? Physically, 5’6”, fit, small chested, round hips, strong legs, great calves. I wear short denim skirts, mostly, and love necklaces. I think he’d also say I’m feisty, stubborn, and very protective of my mother.
What made you choose owning an art gallery for a career? I majored in art history and love anything to do with the subject. When I graduated, I was lucky enough to have a mother who had the money to invest in a gallery and fulfill my dream.
What is your biggest fear? A couple of months ago, it was the possibility of losing my gallery. My ex-husband had jeopardized our business. When I dumped him, I saved the gallery. Now, it’s protecting my mother, and I suppose myself, from whoever is killing the heirs to the castle estate.
How do you relax? I love to visit art museums. But lately, sitting on a patio with the Alps towering nearby and sipping a glass of Remy Martin X.O. cognac with Wulf is perfect.
Who is your favorite fictional character and why? Claire from Diana Galbadon’s Outlander Series. Can you imagine the artists she could meet if she so desired? Plus, she is such a strong female.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? My mom told me to go after anything in life I want and be fearless about it. She might regret saying that with some of the headaches I’ve given her!
Thanks, August. Now we'd like to chat with Brenda. What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer and why? They are numerous. I’ve always been a movie lover as long as there was suspense mixed with romance. The first book I can remember having a great impact on me was Wuthering Heights. I don’t write that era, but I would love to evoke the depth of emotion and mystery I experienced when I read it. Maeve Binchey's books were also a great influence for her characterizations.
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? No event tie-in to A Legacy of Love and Murder, but plenty of small bits and pieces from my private life: August’s love of coffee, the mother/daughter relationship is much like my mother and me, my love of Austria, the castle estate resembles one I visited in Austria, my friend in Austria is named Hartmut (name is used in book). Many times it’s the details in a book that lend it authenticity.
Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? I’ve been with The Wild Rose Press since 2009. They were fairly new, and I was really new. But from the beginning, they had a great reputation. I’ve never been disappointed in my dealings with them. My editor is superb. They are foremost an eBook publisher but do print with longer novels. I can’t remember how I’d heard about them. I submitted Sleeping with the Lights On and they published it. I’ve been with them ever since.
What project[s] are you working on now? I’m working on books four and five in the Love and Murder Series. Book four, The Power of Love and Murder, is about Penny Sparks who was introduced in The Art of Love and Murder and is a good friend of August’s. Book five, The Deep Well of Love and Murder, will take us back to Chino Valley and the Meadowlark Ranch from the second book, Southwest of Love and Murder.
What's up next for you? Just more writing. I have an idea for another romantic suspense series and hope to start on it in the next six months.
This has been fun for us, learning more about Brenda who is a frequent commenter on our blog. We hope you'll come back when the next book in this series is released. Kat and Veronica.

To learn more about Brenda Whiteside and the books she writes, go to:
She blogs on the 9th and 24th of every month at http://rosesofprose.blogspot.com
She blogs about life’s latest adventure on her personal blog http://brendawhiteside.blogspot.com/
Goodreads: bit.ly/1U1lDxo

Brenda was kind enough to bring along an excerpt from this fascinating book:
Unreasonable irritation set his jaw tight, and he shot his partner a scowl. “She’s lying.”
She’s convincing.” True to form, Albert spoke his mind. He’d miss him when he retired.
He let his ire go with the thought. “You don’t know her well enough.” They’d reached the landing and the door into the Great Hall.
How well do you know Eike, Tobias?”
I know her enough to know she’s not to be trusted. To know her aspirations—”
I trust your gut.” His partner laid a hand on his shoulder. “It felt practiced…you’re right.” Albert opened the Great Hall door. “Let’s see if we can get the nephew to tell us something more.”
Tobias led the way, glanced along the table and into the shadows at each end, then made his way around and into the main room. He jerked to a halt. “Who the hell?” He trotted to a prone figure, face down in the middle of the hall.
Albert, huffing, drew up beside him as he squatted to get a closer look.
It’s Bauer.” Tobias put fingertips to Bauer’s neck, but the pulse wasn’t there. His hand grazed a red silk scarf. The scarf, a faint scent, and confusion washed over him. August. She’d worn a red scarf the first time he’d seen her.
He’s dead?”
Very.”

To purchase A Legacy of Love and Murder, go to:
Wild Rose Press: bit.ly/1RPQBoZ
Amazon: amzn.to/1RhbQmR



20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. thanks for stopping by, Linda.
      We appreciate the support
      Kat and Veronica

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great story, Brenda. And what a great name for the hero!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, M.S. I have fun with names.

      Delete
    2. thanks for stopping by, M.S.
      we appreciate the support
      kat and veronica

      Delete
  3. Australian castle...sounds lovely and intriguing.
    Great character/author interview!
    Good luck and God's blessings.
    PamT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the castle for setting. Very romantic, historically wise, very gothic. Great seasoning for the setting.
      thanks for stopping by Pam
      Kat and Veronica

      Delete
    2. Kat and Veronica, this was research I enjoyed. Love castles and having been to Austria it helped. Love that country.

      Delete
  4. Awesome interview. An Austrian castle, the alps...I'm hooked just from the location! The excerpt definitely pulled me in. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I apologize for just now tuning in. My computer is at the hospital and my husbands desk top is not reliable. First time today it's let me on-line. Thanks for hosting me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Been there, done that, Brenda
      no problem here. Hope the comp feels better soon.
      Are we talking last rites?
      K & V

      Delete
    2. No, luckily. The Geeks told me they hadn't found anything yet. It just needs a real good cleanup. Poor thing is about 10 years old. Some of the letters on the keys are not even there anymore. But I love it and don't want to part with it.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for sharing August and Brenda :) Your story sounds very intriguing. And Tobias, sounds suave, worldly and sexy-- fun! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, Allison. Tobias is one of my favorite heroes.

      Delete
  7. Hi Brenda, what a fascinating interview and the excerpt really drew me in. I've been with The Wild Rose Press for about the same length of time you have - but I'm not as prolific as you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hywela. Glad to see another Rose! Thanks for your comments.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for hosting me this week. I had a great time!

    ReplyDelete