Monday, April 18, 2016

Visual Effects

Will their emotional firestorm leave nothing but ashes or can love emerge victorious?
          Drey Winston is a fierce competitor who enjoys challenging her mind and body. But when it comes to her heart—no one ever gets close enough to compete for it. Having grown up believing she was an unwanted burden to her parents, she prefers to keep her feelings well hidden. Just when her hard-fought goals are finally within reach, the audacious Jesse Devlin comes along to breach her carefully guarded defenses.
          After a disastrous marriage early in life, Jesse Devlin prefers strings-free relationships. Confident and outgoing, he gets along well with women, but his natural charm can’t seem to penetrate Drey Winston’s aloofness. While attempting to win her over, he’s the one who ends up losing his heart.
          Can this commitment-phobic bachelor convince the stubbornly independent woman he loves that his feelings—and hers—are the real deal?
          This week Wild Women Authors is pleased to welcome a new author, Joyce Holmes, for a visit. She's brought along Drey Winston from her latest release, Visual Effects. First up is Drey.
Where are you from? I was born and raised on a ranch just outside of Great Falls, Montana, but I haven’t lived there since I was seventeen.
Tell us a bit about Visual Effects. It is the story of my bumpy journey to finding real love, to realizing I don’t need to do everything on my own. That I can trust and depend on someone else, yet still be strong and independent. When Jesse Devlin and I started working together, I had already decided I didn’t like the man. Jesse’s not accustomed to rejection and he took me as a personal challenge. The better I got to know him, the more I cared about him. The more I cared, the more certain I was that we shouldn’t be together. But despite everything we went through and, believe me, some of it was pure hell, Jesse never gave up on me. On us.
What did you think the first time you saw Jesse? The very first time I saw him, a long time ago, I thought he might be brilliant, but he was too handsome for his own good, and he knew it. Funny, when we met again many years later, my initial thoughts hadn’t changed. 
What was your second thought? I quickly realized he was far too handsome for my own good, too.
Good one, Drey. Was it love at first sight? Definitely not. I found him very annoying and far too persistent. But maybe I was fooling myself, a bit.
What do you like most about him? His ability to laugh and make others laugh. His loyalty and tenderness. And he gives the best hugs. Then there’s that whole ‘not letting me push him away when I was really determined to’ thing. Gotta like that. A lot.
How would you describe him? Jesse Devlin is what my gram would’ve called ‘easy on the eyes and hard on the heart’. He’s a big, strong man, with a personality as sunny as his golden good looks. He’s also used to getting his own way and having women fawn over him. But I came to realize he’s much more complex than first appearances. He’s tender and sweet, whether he admits it or not. He’s got talent to spare and is an inspiring instructor. He loves his family and would do anything for them.
How would Jesse describe you? He thinks I’m stubborn—although we’re working on that. I happen to prefer the word tenacious. He calls me Princess, which is super annoying, but he’s also come to admire and praise my abilities, both at work and recreationally. And, I don’t know, he seems to think I’m beautiful, so see, he really is a sweet guy.
What made you choose animator as a career? I’ve always loved to draw, to design and create. Once I discovered how to make my creations come alive on the computer, I’d found the direction I wanted my life to go. It really is the purest of magic.
What is your biggest fear? Coming to need someone emotionally, only to have that person walk away.
How do you relax? I jog. It lets me be alone with my mind. When I run, nothing else matters. Running is all there is, and all my problems evaporate, if only for that short time.
Who is your favorite fictional character and why? Wonder Woman. She’s a kick-ass female, who doesn’t need a man to make her complete.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? My beloved grandparents told me I could do and be anything I set my mind to, and to never give up on my dreams.
        Terrific to meet you, Drey. Now we'd like to speak with Joyce.
What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer and why? I’m not a big movie watcher, but I’m a voracious reader and so I can’t pin down one or two books that were the most impactful. I do believe good writing starts with a love for reading.
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? Drey goes through some painfully emotional ordeals in this story, and while mine weren’t the exact same, I was able to draw on the emotions from my own experiences to better tell hers.
Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? An author friend of mine, who is published with The Wild Rose Press, told me about them. Visual Effects is my second book they’ve published.
What projects are you working on now? I have two books previously published with a company that’s no longer in business. I’m looking for a new home for them, along with the third book in the series, which I’m still working on.
What's up next for you? Once I finish the last book in my trilogy, I plan to look at some of my older projects to see if any are worth reworking. Hopefully an idea for a new story will also make itself known soon.
Joyce and Drey, thanks for visiting today. It's always nice to make new friends from the writing world and specifically the Garden. We hope you'll return soon.
Kat and Veronica

          Joyce Holmes lives with her husband and very small dog in the beautiful Okanagan region of British Columbia. The award-winning author is happily living her dream of being a stay-at-home writer. Photography and blogging about her travels are two of her passions, along with visiting her kids and grandkids. When she's not dreaming up stories in her head or planning her next great adventure, she’s off enjoying the great outdoors.
To learn more about the stories Joyce creates, go to:

To purchase Visual Effects, go to:


23 comments:

  1. Wow! This sounds like a very complicated relationship--one with real depth the reader can sink her teeth into. Love the name Drey! Good luck with this and all your projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Susan. And nice of you to stop by.

      Delete
    2. Hi, Susan
      S-U-C-C-E-S-S!!!
      thanks for stopping by
      Kat

      Delete
  2. Great interview! I look forward to reading this one. I enjoyed your last book very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely of you to say that, Ilona. Thank you. I hope you'll enjoy this one just as much.

      Delete
    2. Hi, Ilona. Thanks for stopping by and clearly making Joyce's day.
      Best, Kat and Veronica

      Delete
  3. Loved your interview and the description of your book. Sounds wonderful. I'll be adding that to my read list. Good Luck with your book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Hi, Tena
      thanks so much for stopping by! You are becoming a regular with us and we love it!
      Kat

      Delete
  5. Lovely interviews, both of them! Sounds like another wonderful book, Joyce! Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Barbara
      Joyce and I appreciate the support and kind words.
      Kat

      Delete
  6. Love these character interviews!
    So nice to hear from the author too.
    Good luck and God's blessings.
    PamT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Pamela
      thanks so much for stopping by. You are a loyal fan of this blog and we appreciate your support.
      Kat and Veronica

      Delete
  7. Thanks, Pam. This was my first character interview, and it was fun to do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for hosting me today, Kat & Veronica. I enjoyed being here. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we hope you'll return soon!
      Kat and Veronica

      Delete
  9. I apologize for my late arrival. I enjoyed the interview(s) very much! Sounds like an emotional, compelling story. So glad you found The Wild Rose Press. I am with them as well, and they are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. No apologies needed, Alicia. Nice to see a fellow rose, and thanks for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved the interview, and love that her favorite fictional character is Wonder Woman. So cool! Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Big Congrats on your story, Joyce, and I love the name of your heroine, Drey.
    Smiles,
    Linda Joyce

    ReplyDelete