Sunday, June 19, 2016

Meet Attorney Mick Dineen

This week Wild Women Authors is featuring the men who play a large role in our latest release, Vengeance Is Mine. We decided to honor them because they support the strong women in their lives while working to improve the quality of life for the disenfranchised.
First up: Mick Dineen from The List.
Tell us how you came to attend the 25th reunion of the Class of 1990 at Summerville High. I had no intention of spending the evening with balding, old, fat people who are still locked into all the adolescent crap from back in the day. Plus, I was ass deep in alligators with a medical malpractice trial and was falling over the edge into crispy fried territory. Part of the hoopla involving the reunion included presenting the Eastman, an award given annually to that person whose work exemplifies the best in the human spirit. I was last year's winner so the organizer put the arm on me to attend. Trust me, no one turns down a former nun named Mad Dog.
How did the trial turn out? We won.
Congratulations. Tell that to the husband and kids of a woman who died because her obstetrician who was too obsessed in making a tee time to pay attention to her symptoms of peritonitis. Sorry. My mood is not the best right now. Anyway, the defense elected to settle before the case went to the jury. They returned with a settlement of three times what we demanded. The head of my firm ordered me to take a month off and start by attending the awards banquet. When it was all said and done, I'm glad I attended because I met Fiona Thorpe again.
You are an attorney. What made you choose working for the underdogs of this world? In a former life, meaning high school, I was a bully, part of a gang known as the Pittsford Road Posse. We, I, hurt a lot of people because it made us feel better. I feel the need to make amends.
If you were given an opportunity for a 'do-over' would you take it? About being a twerp and a jerk? What do you think? About standing up for dead mothers and bullied middle-schoolers? What do you think?
What movies have had an impact on your life? I very much liked “Defiance” with Daniel Craig and Liev Schreiber. Most recently, “Spotlight” knocked my socks off.
What are you reading right now? At the awards banquet, Dru Horvath put me on to Samantha Power's A Problem From Hell: America and the Age of Genocide.
A little light reading to fill up those pesky down times. If you're in the mood for getting pissed off at politicians, it works real well.
What's the best piece of advice you ever received? My mother told me this, right after she kicked my old man out of the house for the last time: “Whatever you give a woman, she's going to multiply. If you give her a house, she'll give you a home. If you give her groceries, she'll give you a meal. If you give her a smile, she'll give you her heart. She multiplies and enlarges what is given to her. But, if you give her crap, you will receive more shit than any one human being can handle.”
Great advice, Mick. What's up next for you? Convincing Fiona Thorpe to make me an honest man.
Good luck. Thanks. She's the best thing in my life.
Here's a blurb from Vengeance Is Mine:
Ever think about going back to study hall to face down the school bully?
The mean girls?
The brainless jocks who made your life a pure misery?
For Dru Horvath, gypsy orphan turned Pulitzer Prize winning photo-journalist; Rafe Archangeli, Scourge of Summerville who now heads a multi-million dollar trust; and Fiona “Fat Aggie” Thorpe who recreated herself into an A-list model with her own A-list agency, the opportunity to exact revenge is too good to pass up.
Will they find the vengeance they crave?
Or something more valuable?

And an excerpt from The List, featuring Mick and Fiona Thorpe:

Frustrated with the holdup, Fee glanced around for points of entry, hoping she'd be able to spot Dru the second she entered the ballroom.
A hand on her arm claimed her attention; Rafe Archangeli leaned close. “Here comes someone you should meet.”
Without taking her eyes off the entry door, she murmured, “Who?”
“Last year's Eastman winner and a helluva of a nice guy.”
“Where?”
“There. Coming toward us.”
One nano-second later all thoughts of revenge left Fee's mind like steam escaping a kettle.
The weathered appearance of his face announced he'd lived ten times over. Thick gold hair flecked with gray grazed the collar of his suit jacket. Broad through the shoulders and chest, narrow at the waist and hips, he had the long legged grace of a broken field runner.
Moving across the parquet floor as if born to a runway, he carried himself with an innate confidence. Without disrupting that fluid stride, he undid his tie before shrugging out of the suit jacket which he slung over one shoulder with the tip of his index finger.
She'd almost given up finding a man so perfect.
This one had The Look.

To purchase Vengeance Is Mine, go to:
www.CreateSpace.com/6269528
www.Amazon.com/dp/1533214514
www.Amazon.ca/dp/1533214514
www.Amazon.co.uk/dp/1533214514
www.Amazon.de/dp/1533214514
www.Amazon.es/dp/1533214514
www.Amazon.fr/dp/1533214514
www.Amazon.it/dp/1533214514

Later this week: Rafe Archangeli from Mad Dog and Archangel



13 comments:

  1. Love his entrance! I've thought about confronting my past bullies, but I'm afraid I don't have the stomach for it. I admire those who do! Great post. Good luck with the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leah, thanks so much for stopping by. I agree, confronting bullies can be very scary. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth the effort on the 'victim's' part because they really don't care.
      Except for those bullies in Vengeance Is Mine--we roasted and toasted them good!
      Best
      Kat

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was bullied in grammar school, but they all faded away in high school--maybe because after attrition there were over 800 of us left at graduation. But the President of both classes remembered taking piano lessons together in third grade. We both became writers. I hope to see him at our 50th reunion in a couple of years.

    By the way--I bought the book after you appeared on my blog last week. It's in my queue. ;-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks, Rochelle.
      That was a fun visit for us. Thanks for returning the favor. Enjoy your reunion.
      Kat

      Delete
  4. sounds like a very good novel!
    good luck and God's blessings
    PamT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, my friend.
      Thanks so much for stopping by. This is an important milestone in my writing life and we're glad we could bring it to life.
      Enjoy!
      Kat

      Delete
  5. Again a very unique character that breaks the boundaries of the page. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spoken like a true breaker of boundaries!
      Thanks for stopping by MJ.
      Best wishes for another best seller at your end.
      Kat

      Delete
  6. Fun excerpt! Great characters. Wishing you lots of luck with promotion and sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Judy
      thanks so much for stopping by. So gllad you liked the excerpt. Mick is a honey.
      Best, Kat

      Delete
  7. I love your writing, your characterizations and the snarky dialogue or internal musings. You've got a great voice so no wonder I enjoy all your write. It makes me want to put more vinegar in mine. Wishing you much success with Vengeance Is Mine. Great post as always. Oh and his description with his coat jacket over the shoulder--Oh my....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Bev
      you are too much. We each have different voices and use them to our strengths. I hope you enjoy the rest of the story between Mick and Fiona as well as the rest of the trilogy.
      Best, Kat

      Delete