Monday, June 13, 2016

Meet Jacquie Rogers and Honey Beaulieu, bounty hunter

Wild Women Authors is pleased to introduce Bounty Hunter Honey Beaulieu and her creator, Jacquie Rogers from Hot Work in Fry Pan Gulch, a recent release out of Prairie Rose Publishers. Since this is a new one for us, we'll let Honey explain things.
Tell us a bit about Hot Work in Fry Pan Gulch. My mama owns the Tasty Chicken Emporium and serves up the finest food, poker, and whores in Wyoming Territory. She told me I was too scrawny to be a whore so helped me get a job in the Fry Pan Gulch marshal’s office. At first, I cleaned and cleaned, for the marshal was sorely lacking in housekeeping skills. I also did his paperwork for him on account of he hated doing that, also. Next thing I knew, I ended up the deputy marshal, and then the fun began.
What made you choose bounty hunting for a career? Deputy marshals don’t make much money and I wanted to buy my own place, especially after a donkey named Sassy and a mule named Pickles adopted me. Those Wanted posters wouldn’t leave me alone—all I had to do was round up one owlhoot and hey, I’d be five hundred dollars richer! My pa was a bounty hunter, and danged good with a Peacemaker, too. He’d taught me how to shoot and I spent a goodly share of my free time practicing, so I was better than most men. Maybe not faster (although faster than most), but I could hit what I was aiming at. So with the brace of Peacemakers that papa gave me, my donkey, and my mule, we set out to make us some money.
Knowing what you know now, if you had it to do over again, would you stick with being a bounty hunter or do something different? I don’t know what else I could do. I ain’t no good at whoring and bein’s I’m on the other side of the fence from the respectable ladies what with Mama owning the Tasty Chicken and all, hunting men for bounty money seems like the thing to do. Plus, I get to see the world outside of Fry Pan Gulch.
What is your biggest fear, Honey? Getting lost. I ain’t too good with directions.
Who is your favorite fictional character and why? I get a kick out of that Tom Sawyer feller.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? Always watch for the tell. Pa told me every man has a tell.
Well. This certainly has been a new one for us. Kind of a Stephanie Plum time travel. Now, let's talk to Jacquie. Which writer or character[s], from either books or movies, [or both] have had a major impact on your writing? The biggest impact on how I write and what shaped my voice the most is listening to stories. Grandparents, aunts and uncles—everyone had a story in our family and the louder they told it, the funnier it got. I really wish I had recordings of those times when we laughed so hard, we couldn’t catch a breath, or in the suspenseful stories, lean forward on our chairs as if that would prevent us from missing a single word. That’s how I strive to tell my stories.
With regard to research, where did you start for this novel? Did that lead you down different paths, thereby changing the original concept? I did most of the research several years ago for another novel, although this particular series concept had been kicking around in my brain since 1998. It wasn’t marketable then, though, so I never wrote it. But Honey’s day has come!
Boy, has it ever. She's a hoot. Tell us a bit about your publisher. How did you hear about them. Since Hot Work in Fry Pan Gulch doesn’t fit a genre, I didn’t want to go through a publisher. I have several short stories and will be writing a book later this year for Prairie Rose Publications.
What influenced you to submit to them? I went with them because they have tons of experience on both sides of the fence, they’re honest, and the “Roses” are one big happy family. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them.
What is the turn-around time from date of query to date of release? Turnaround time is getting longer because they receive lots of submissions, but I don’t know how long that is. I do know that once a book is in the pipe, they’re faster than any publisher I’ve worked with.
What are you reading right now? Caroline Clemmons’ Bride Brigade series.
What's next for you? I’m working on Sidetracked in Silver City , Honey Beaulieu – Man Hunter #2, and hoping it will be released the first week of August. After that, I’m writing a mail-order bride book for Prairie Rose Publications, which should be released in September. Then I’ll write the third book in the Honey Beaulieu series and the sixth book in the Hearts of Owyhee series.
Thanks so much for hosting me today!
You are so welcome. Kat and I really enjoyed this visit. Please come again--and bring Honey along!
Veronica Lynch

To learn more about Jacquie Rogers and the stories she creates go to:
Pickle Barrel Gazette: http://eepurl.com/qhA_1

24 comments:

  1. Love Honey's voice. LOL This book ought to be a hoot to read. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We agree completely, Diane!
      this one sounds like a scream. Can't wait for the next one in the series.
      thanks for stopping by.
      Kat and Veronica

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Diane. Honey does keep me on my toes. Kept my editor on her toes, too. LOL.

      Delete
  2. Both interviews were enjoyable. Honey is a hoot, so with her donkey, her mule, etc. Being one who has no sense of direction, I can identify with her fear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being married to a man who cannot go to the corner store without his GPS I totally understand Honey's challenge. Thanks for stopping by, Linda.
      We appreciate the support
      Kat and Veronica

      Delete
    2. I can't find my way out of the proverbial paper bag, so I figured Honey ought to have that challenge as well. Kathryn, my GPS goes with me everywhere. LOL.

      Delete
  3. What a character Honey is! I love her. I bet she always gets her man. The book sounds like a great read. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kara
      Jacquie has a phenomenal talent with voice, doesn't she? I envy that. Honey jumped right off the page at me. Thanks for stopping by. We appreciate the support.
      Kat and Veronica

      Delete
    2. I don't know if she always gets her man or not, but I do know any man would have a challenge to escape. Then there's Sam Lancaster. I think he might be the biggest challenge of all. Hahaha.

      Delete
  4. I love stories that make me laugh, and this sounds like it qualifies! I ordered my copy and can't wait to read it. Hope it does really well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Patricia
      I believe this is your first visit to WWA blog and we're glad you made it. Honey is quite the character and we so enjoyed having her. Thanks for stopping by.
      Kat and Veronica

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much, Patricia. I sure hope you love Honey as much as I do. Only thing is, I wish she'd read my scene chart. She has no regard for my plotting. Sigh. I do try, but it's a trial.

      Delete
  5. This sounds like a great laugh out loud story. Thanks for the great interview of both Honey and Jacquie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hey, Kay
      thanks for stopping by.
      Told ya' Told ya' Told ya'
      Kat

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Katherine! She made me laugh a few times. That's the fun of writing--unleash a character and "go where no man has gone before."

      Delete
  6. Great Interview Jacquie and Honey!
    Good luck and God's blessings.
    PamT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam
      thanks so much for stopping by to offer good thoughts to Jacquie. We appreciate the support.
      Best
      kat and veronica

      Delete
    2. Good to see you here, Pamela. Thanks so much.

      Delete
  7. Wow! I'm not sure I've ever met such a lively bounty hunter! In fact, I'm not sure I've even met a bounty hunter at all... Loved the interview, very fun. Best wishes for Honey, Patti, and HOT WORK IN FRY PAN GULCH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, MJ
      thanks so much for stopping by with words of support for Jacquie and Honey.
      We all appreciate it.
      Kat and Veronica

      Delete
    2. MJ, Honey has a rather strange background, so she's not afraid to jump in head first. I, on the other hand, am a genuine coward. I'd much rather read her exploits than actually do them!

      Delete
  8. This book same as any other Jacquie Rogers book is very dangerous to read while drinking, you risked it coming out your nose. I spilled all over my Kindles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep a towel handy! LOL. Thanks for hanging out at the Wild Women Authors blog, Mercedes.

      Delete
  9. This book same as any other Jacquie Rogers book is very dangerous to read while drinking, you risked it coming out your nose. I spilled all over my Kindles

    ReplyDelete