Saturday, June 25, 2016

Meet Rory McElroy

     Award winning photo-journalist Dru Horvath travels the world, documenting human rights abuses, a vocation which helps in avoidance of risking her heart. Everyday working stiff Rory McElroy, a two-time loser when it comes to women, wants nothing to do with another relationship, thank you very much.
     But when Dru comes back into his life, Rory’s not sure which poses the greater threat: protecting her from third world thugs who want to silence her permanently—or allowing the one woman who captured his heart years ago to embrace him forever.

This week Wild Women Authors has featured the men who play a large role in our latest release, Vengeance Is Mine. We've left the best for last, sort of, and introduce Rory McElroy [no, not the golfer] from Embraceable You.
Tell us how you came to attend the 25th reunion of the Class of 1990 at Summerville High. The County Manager called the office and ordered me to provide one-on-one security for the person who would receive this year's Eastman Award who also happened to be a member of the Class of '90. A smart man does not say no to the man who appointed you to your current position.
Always a smart move to keep the big bosses happy. Amen, sister. I may not have voted for him, but he does sign my paychecks. With a kid going off to college next year, I appreciate having money deposited into my checking account on a regular basis.
You have a child? Yep. Molly. Seventeen going on thirty. She's the cause of the premature gray in my hair. Looking at schools in New York City. Wouldn't consider staying home and commuting to the U. Nuh uh not my girl.
You are the Sheriff of Bison County. What made you choose law enforcement for a career? It gave me the opportunity to wear a gun legally and keep the peace. Plus, I like all the paraphernalia we cops have to wear on our belts. Lets us strut our stuff.
Hah! What movies have had an impact on your life? Major League and Bull Durham because I like baseball and I like watching films that make me laugh out loud. While I was waiting for Druzilla to come back to me, I watched The Official Story, a foreign film about the consequences of Argentina's Dirty War. It helped me understand why Dru is so driven to do some of the things she does.
What did you take away from it? Parts of it focused on Las Madres de la Plaza, the mothers and wives of los desaparicidos, ordinary citizens who were taken from their homes or businesses in the middle of the night by a bunch of thugs acting under the direction of the military junta. We're talking religious sisters and priests, activist students, university educators, journalists. Their survivors, women now in their seventies and eighties, still march through the streets of Buenos Aires each week, wearing white scarves and carrying posters with pictures of the missing. The movie shows the power of perseverance, a reminder to those in power that what was done to innocents in the name of political oppression will never be forgotten. Powerful stuff.
What's the best piece of advice you ever received? I was raised in a violent home. After my grandparents rescued me and my sister and brought us to Summerville, they drilled into me the need to stand up for myself and others no matter the personal consequences. Right is might and all that stuff. I guess that's why I became a cop.
What's up next for you? Convincing Dru Horvath to settle down with me in Summerville and keep me from turning into a Helicopter Dad after Molly goes off to college.
Good luck. Thanks. Dru fills that empty spot in my heart.

To purchase Vengeance Is Mine, go to:
www.CreateSpace.com/6269528
www.Amazon.com/dp/1533214514
www.Amazon.ca/dp/1533214514
www.Amazon.co.uk/dp/1533214514
www.Amazon.de/dp/1533214514
www.Amazon.es/dp/1533214514
www.Amazon.fr/dp/1533214514
www.Amazon.it/dp/1533214514


16 comments:

  1. Very interesting interview. I bet the book is as good as the interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda
      a very sweet comment. Thanks for stopping by
      Kat

      Delete
  2. Man, Kat! Your characters really sing! They fly right off the page, barge in and take a seat next to me! They are each so unique yet identifiable. I admire that! I really want to read your stuff. This writing gig takes up too much of my reading time! Best wishes for all you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, MJ
      you are so sweet.
      thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment
      best
      Kat

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed the interview and agree that Major League and Bull Durham have laugh-out-loud scenes! I also remember the Dirty War, but didn't know survivors remained. Best wishes with this book release!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by to offer support, Ashantay. I appreciate it. The survivors of the Dirty War are in their 80's now and battling to learn the location of the children born of prisoner mothers. Most were given to childless couples in the government and/or army. Very nasty business. These women inspire me every day, as do Las Damas Blanco who march every Sunday in Havana, and every Sunday are arrested. It sounds strange but these women are proving a point--especially during Obama's recent visit to Cuba. The demonstrations went on as usual; the arrests went on as usual.
      Best wishes
      Kat

      Delete
  4. I'd never heard of the Dirty War. How awful! It's amazing those women have continued to march. It's truly inspiring. Wishing you much success with the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Leah
      thanks for stopping by. I agree with you, these women are inspiring. Never giving up is an amazing thing.
      Kat

      Delete
  5. Love Bull Durham! This sounds absolutely fascinating. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan
      Bull Durham is one of my faves also but Major League takes the cake for me.
      thanks for stopping by. Glad to see you got your computer worries fixed.
      Kat

      Delete
  6. Your characters are so interesting. Lots of baggage with redeeming qualities galore. Perfect hero material.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's quite a compliment, Elizabeth. Thanks so much. I hope you enjoy the book.
      Kat

      Delete
  7. Love the "helicopter dad." Don't usually hear that one. Love Major League. If I see it's on, I try to catch "Wild Thing." It always makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right there with you on the Wild Thing, Diane. I have a secondary character in the back of my mind, a retired State Supreme Court Judge whose law firm is called the Wild Things. You can imagine the Judge's comment every time his team takes him out to the local sports bar and they put that song on. Heh heh. Remember?
      thanks for stopping by \
      Kat

      Delete
  8. Another interesting character interview.
    Good luck and God's blessing
    PamT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Pam. Coming from you this is high praise.
      thanks for stopping by
      Kaat

      Delete