Tuesday, July 19, 2016

A Ghostly Experience

. . . Amidst a blizzard, paranormal debunker Camille Burditt arrives at Devil’s Promenade in Oklahoma to research a supernatural 'spook light' phenomenon for her latest book. There she encounters a ghostly being, which she dismisses as a figment of her imagination. But as the apparition becomes too persistent to deny, Camille realizes the woman’s ghost is quite real—and that her demise was not accidental. 
. . . Declan Rush—the inhospitable, reclusive owner of the inn where Camille is staying—is linked to the deceased woman, but he is less than forthcoming. Despite his unfriendliness, Camille is oddly drawn to him, even though she suspects his connection to the spirit might be that of killer to victim. 
. . .
When another suspicious death occurs, Camille intensifies her investigation. She has precious little time to ferret out the truth. Not only is her book deadline looming—she's desperate to discover if the man she’s falling for is a murderer. 

For the rest of this week, Wild Women Authors is hosting author Alicia Dean and Camille Burditt, protagonist from Ali's latest release, Devil's Promenade. First up is Camille.
Tell us a bit about Devil’s Promenade. I travel to a Bed & Breakfast to gather material on a ‘spook light’ for a book I’m writing that debunks paranormal phenomenon. But I soon encounter a ghostly presence that makes me realize my skepticism is misplaced.
What made you choose writing for a career? It actually chose me. I used to write a blog about the ridiculousness of those who believe in otherworldly happenings. My editor, Jillian, discovered the blog and asked me to write for her publishing company.
Knowing what you know now, if you had it to do over again, would you stick with being a writer or do something different? Well, I’d stick with being a writer. I love doing it, but I would not write the same type of book. I’ve spent so much time trying to disprove paranormal occurrences that I’ve missed an opportunity to learn more about them, especially the really interesting ones. I’d like to start exploring and writing about ‘true’ supernatural phenomenons.
What is your biggest fear, Camille? I would have to say unfriendly spirits. My first interaction with a ghost was frightening, but fortunately, she meant me no harm. I did learn, though, that if she does mean someone harm, they’d better be on guard. If a malevolent spirit had it out for me, I’d be terrified.
Who is your favorite fictional character and why? Jane Eyre, because she was a strong, independent woman and leaps and bounds ahead of her time.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? My mother always told me, before she passed away, ‘Be true to yourself.’ I’ve found when I apply that, my life seems to go more smoothly. I believe in being kind and trying to make others happy, but I don’t think it works if you try to be someone you’re not.
Thanks, Camille. This has been very interesting. Now it's Alicia's turn.
Which writer or character[s], from either books or movies, [or both] have had a major impact on your writing? I would say that Margaret Mitchell, Rosemary Rogers, Michael Connelly, and Dennis Lehane have all had a huge impact on my writing. Becoming absorbed in their characters and their world made me want to produce the same kind of experience for readers, although there is no way I could attain their level of excellence.
Wow. Rosemary Rogers. That takes us back. And Michael Connelly is one of our faves. But, with regard to research, where did you start for this novel? Did that lead you down different paths, thereby changing the original concept? The research was awesome! When I first decided to write a gothic mystery set in Oklahoma, I googled ‘legends and supernatural events in Oklahoma’ and I ran across the story of a spook light in Quapaw, Oklahoma. I was fascinated by the stories I read, and excited because my sister lives in that area, only a few miles from the light. Two of my writer friends and I took a road trip in March to see my sister and spook light road. It was great, although we didn’t really see the spook light. In my research I came across several legends regarding the spook light and I used many of them in my story. It did change my plot a bit. Originally, I was going to write about a death ON spook light road. Then, when I read about nearby Spring River, and the bridge called Devil’s Promenade, I decided that was where the death took place.
What are you reading right now? Immoral by Brian Freeman
What's next for you? I am currently writing a novella for the Martini Club 4 series titled Pretentious. After that, I will be working on Evil-Eye, a suspense I’m writing after receiving a request from an editor with Amazon’s Thomas & Mercer line.

To purchase Devil's Promenade, go to:  https://amzon.com/B01GNGTU96

Ali brought along an excerpt:

A man stood with his back to me, looking out the floor-to ceiling window into the snowy night. He turned, and my heart gave an odd, unexpected little flutter when I recognized Declan.
I’m sorry. I didn’t know anyone was in here. I wanted to work on my book.”
He gestured with the glass he held toward the sofa. “Please, make yourself at home. I won’t disturb you.”
Hmmm. Not the reaction I expected. “Thank you.” I nodded toward an old-fashioned phonograph where a record played—the source of the music.
Where did you get that? I didn’t think they had been around in decades.”
It belonged to my grandfather.”
It still works. Wow.”
He smiled. “A little scratchy, but I think that’s how these old records were meant to be listened to.”
Who is that?”
Tommy Dorsey.”
I cocked my head. “Mr. Rush, are you sure you’re from this century?”
A grin tugged at his mouth. “Sometimes, I wonder that same thing.”
Listen, I was wondering…” I held the laptop to my chest and approached him. “Could I ask you some questions?”
About?”
I’d like to interview you regarding the spook light. For my book.”
He frowned and took a sip from his glass. “I would rather not.”
Why not? It might bring in business for the bed and breakfast.”
His frown turned into a scowl of irritation. “We get quite enough business as it is.”
At dinner, you mentioned that it’s real. I thought that might mean you had stories surrounding it. That you might want to get the word out about it.”
I’m afraid you thought wrong. I was just making conversation.” He finished off the contents in his glass and set it on the bar. “Now, I have work to do. If you’ll excuse me.”
What kind of work?”
I beg your pardon?”
What kind of work do you do? Do you do something other than own the inn?”
I’m an architect. I office out of my home. Will there be anything else?” He moved past me toward the door.
I was determined to get to the bottom of his unreasonable attitude. I blurted, “Why don’t you like me?”
He faced me, his jaw tight. “What makes you think I don’t like you?”
Because, you aren’t friendly to me.”
Has it ever occurred to you that I don’t know you, and I have no reason to be friendly to you? Loretta runs the inn. It’s her job to keep guests happy, not mine. If you have a complaint, see her.”
I grinned. “Do you think she’ll resolve my complaint when I tell her it’s you?”


*** A World of Gothic is a Gothic Mystery Romance Series by authors from all over the world. For information on other titles and for interesting tidbits on mysteries and the authors, check out A World of Gothic Facebook page: 


To learn more about Alicia Dean and the stories she creates go to:




14 comments:

  1. Love it--very eerie and romantic. TBR. M. S. Spencer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a winner of a Gothic! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly hope it's a winner! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Susan and M.S.
    thank you so much for recognizing Ali's talent and vast imagination. It's always a pleasure to have her with us because we never know which avenue she'll take.
    best wishes to both of you.
    Kat and Veronica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, you're too kind. I do love writing all sorts of different stories. :) Thank you for having me on your awesome blog!

      Delete
  4. Great post and excerpt. I love the intriguing title of your book! Good luck with sales and promotion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Judy! I'm so glad you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interview and excerpt!
    Good luck and God's blessings
    PamT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pamela...I appreciate the visit and kind words!

      Delete
  7. Great interview. I think getting paid to ghost hunt would be a blast! Thanks for hosting, Veronica!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elizabeth. Heck yes it would. :)

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing Cami with us, Alicia. She's a strong woman!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're welcome, Diane. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete