Monday, August 22, 2016

Let's Do an Earthquake with Author Chrys Fey

. . . An Internal Affairs Investigator was murdered and his brother, Donovan Goldwyn, was framed. Now Donovan is desperate to prove his innocence. And the one person who can do that is the woman who saved him from a deadly hurricane—Beth Kennedy. From the moment their fates intertwined, passion consumed him. He wants her in his arms. More, he wants her by his side in his darkest moments.
. . . Beth Kennedy may not know everything about Donovan, but she can’t deny what she feels for him. It’s her love for him that pushes her to do whatever she has to do to help him get justice, including putting herself in a criminal’s cross hairs.
. . . When a tip reveals the killer's location, they travel to California, but then an earthquake of catastrophic proportions separates them. As aftershocks roll the land, Beth and Donovan have to endure dangerous conditions while trying to find their way back to one another.
. . . Will they reunite and find the killer, or will they lose everything?

This week, Wild Women Authors is pleased to welcome back author Chrys Fey who awhile back treated us with a peek at her fabulous thriller Hurricane Crimes and now has brought Beth Kennedy from the sequel to Hurricane: Seismic Crimes, a recent release out of Wild Rose Press. We've been waiting for this one--and it looks like a beauty. Let's get into this by starting with Beth.
Where are you from? Orlando, Florida.
Tell us a bit about Seismic Crimes. [It] is the sequel to Hurricane Crimes (a novella) and takes place after Hurricane Sabrina hits Florida. This story reveals my love story with Donovan and the intensity of hunting down a killer. But Chrys explains it so much better.
What did you think the first time you saw Donovan Goldwyn? I thought he was an idiot. I mean, he was driving a car in hurricane-force winds, and he crashed it. Into a tree. At that time, though, I didn’t actually know who was driving the car. 
Excellent. What was your second thought? That I had to help him, so I braved the storm to get him out of his wrecked car. The rest is, as they say, history.
Did you feel it was love at first sight? Definitely not. The first glimpse I got of him was through a car window. He had a gash on his forehead, and I was afraid for him. Moments later, I saw his violet eyes, and I have to admit that my heart did stutter.
For a self-defense teacher, that's quite an admission. What do you like most about him? He is fiercely protective. To the point where it can set my teeth on edge, but knowing it comes from a place of loves makes it tolerable. Mostly. He’s also the most caring man I’ve ever known, aside from my father, and the most passionate. Donovan makes me blush from love and lust. His mysterious side keeps things interesting, too.
Aww. How would you describe him? My previous answer sums him up perfectly: protective, caring, generous, passionate, mysterious, and a complete adrenaline junkie.
Good match for a capable woman whose goal is to help others take care of themselves. How would he describe you? Strong, stubborn, (stubbornly strong?), and he’s often been quoted (by Chrys) as saying I’m “one of a kind.”
What made you choose being a self-defense instructor as a career? In high school, a girl I knew was raped and murdered. My friends and I were afraid for our lives, so we took self-defense classes. Afterward, I liked how strong and confident I became and turned into an assistant teacher. With my parents’ help, I opened my own studio. My goal is to help every man, woman and child defeat domestic abuse and to know how to defend themselves.
What is your biggest fear? Snakes. Period.
Us, too. Hope that's not foreshadowing. How do you relax? I curl up on the couch with Donovan. A cold beer and a movie…nothing gets better than that.
Amen, sister. Who is your favorite fictional character and why? Ripley from Alien. A woman who can take on monstrous aliens is my kind of woman!
Another big amen. What is the best piece of advice you ever received? The advice I got from Detective Thorn when I went undercover in a drug dealer’s house is definitely the best so far. I had never done anything like that. I didn’t know what to expect, so I felt much better after he walked me through things. Until I was in said house and face-to-face with Viper.
Well. We can't go farther without reading an excerpt, which Beth was kind enough to bring along for us:

The moment she realized Buck was shooting under the cars to hit her, the tire she hid behind blew. She squeezed her eyes shut as she tried to make herself smaller by pressing her body into the SUV. The Morse code of bullets hitting metal started up again. She could've sworn she felt the SUV shaking with the continuous beat of bullets slamming into it, except the shaking was below her feet. It started gentle but as soon as she noticed, it became violent.
Earthquake!
She fell backward and struggled to get back up. Her body bounced up and down and rolled from side to side simultaneously, which told her the quake's epicenter was close. The origin could've been beneath the hotel for all she knew. A light came crashing down from the ceiling and slammed into the concrete floor with such power it exploded into a trillion stars. Glass shot out in all directions like the Big Bang. Beth screamed and covered her face with her hands as tiny pieces of glass bit the skin on her arms.

She fought onto her hands and knees and hugged the tire to keep from falling over again. The intensity of the tremors grew. The concrete below her feet didn't feel solid anymore. It felt alive, as if two gigantic gophers burrowed through the earth. The truck behind her slid with the vicious shock waves and bumped into her, pushing her roughly into the tire. She let out a cry of panic.

Wow. This has been great, Beth, thanks for visiting. We'd like to yak a bit with Chrys.
What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer and why? Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb inspired my romance writing because she is obviously the Queen of Romance. Who better to be inspired by? I love to watch movies when I write. A few movies that have inspired me are The Impossible, 2012, Hours, Twister, and Volcano.
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? The hurricane that hit before SEISMIC CRIMES begins was based after Hurricane Frances that hit Florida in 2004. All of my experiences with that storms in in Hurricane Crimes. But there was an experience from Tropical Storm Fay that I was able to add to SEISMIC CRIMES. This scene involves a catfish that swam into Donovan’s smashed car thanks to the flood waters. In real life, I saw a catfish swim up to my front door. I think this adds a bit of much-needed humor to my story.
Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? I found The Wild Rose Press by researching where I could submit a romance story—Hurricane Crimes. I was desperate to get something published, so I put all of my hopes into an email and sent off a query letter. When I got the request for my MS, I was amazed and honored.
What project[s] are you working on now? Right now, I’m working on Book 4 in the Disaster Crimes Series and a couple of TOP SECRET projects. ;)
What's up next for you? The prequel to 30 seconds, which is titled 30 SECONDS BEFORE, should be coming out later this year (release date TBD). My editor/publisher currently had Tsunami Crimes (Disaster Crimes Book 3) and I’m waiting to hear the verdict. Contract or no contract. My fingers are crossed, because I feel Tsunami Crimes is the best book of the series.

This has been a great experience for us and we thank Chrys Fey for spending time with us. We can't wait for Tsunami Crimes to come out.

To purchase Seismic Crimes, go to:

To learn more about Chrys Fey and the stories she creates, go to:





28 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the excerpt Chrys. Talk about adrenaline. My pulse was jumping and it had nothing to do with the coffee I'm drinking right now. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Charlotte! I love to give readers that reaction. ;)

      Delete
  2. Loved the interview. Great characters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now these are real sounding characters! Thanks for sharing your excerpt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making realistic characters is always my goal. Thanks, Nightingale!

      Delete
  4. Great interview and excerpt! I loved Hurricane Crimes. Best of luck on this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked Hurricane Crimes. Thanks, Ilona!

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for having me on Wild Women Authors! This is my third time being a guest and it never ceases to be a blast. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we love having you because your mind and the stories it creates boggle the mind, Best of luck with Seismic and Hurrcane Crimes. Can't wait for the next one!
      Kat and Veronica

      Delete
  6. Love the character interview. Always find out interesting stuff. I've read all these books and thoroughly enjoyed them. Chrys knows how to force her characters up a tree and then throws rocks at them (paraphrasing Save The Cat). Looking forward to your next book, Chrys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and you've read the next book, too. So you currently know more than any other reader. Aside from my editor. ;)

      Delete
  7. Excellent interviews...both of them! And, the excerpt has me hooked. Congrats and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! From an editor, that's a compliment that's made my day.

      Delete
  8. Yep, love these interviews!
    Please do NOT add me to drawing for books

    Good luck and God's blessings
    PamT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worry...there is no drawing for books with this post.

      Delete
  9. Love the interviews!! Best wishes for your continued publishing success.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful excerpt. Hooked me instantly. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a terrific story, Chris. Best of luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the idea of a female self-defense instructor! Courage and strength and determination right there, for sure! This sounds like a compelling story. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been fun writing about Beth and the scenes she does when she's teaching classes. :) Thank you, Susan!

      Delete
  13. Loved the interview and excerpt, Chrys! Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The responses to Chrys' visit has been terrific. Thanks to allmwho stopped by and left a comment.
    Kat and Veronica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am blown away by the response, too. It's always a blast coming here. :)

      Delete