Monday, September 5, 2016

Welcome a New Author From Class Act Books

. . .When her father is sent on an assignment to Kenya, Gabrielle Madsen goes with him. There she meets Josh VanNess and his twin sister, Chris. Gabby is drawn to Josh, and he to her, but she isn't aware of just how strong their attraction is until the pair take her on a night trek through the jungle.
The twins have a secret and once Gabby learns it, it will change her heart and her love forever. . .

This week, Wild Women Authors welcomes Juanita Aydlette and Gabrielle Madsen from It's In The Blood, Juanita's latest release out of Class Act Books. First up is Gabrielle.
Where are you from? I'm from Baton Rouge, Louisiana
What did you think the first time you saw Josh. I thought that the heavens was missing an angel—those green eyes and mountains of muscles attracted me like a magnet.
Good one. And your second thought? I know this sounds crazy, but I thought, he must need glasses, cause I'm not a beauty queen.
Did you feel it was love at first sight? For me, it was.
What do you like most about him? I felt that he could read my soul. There was no pretense about him. His hair smelled good, too!
How would you describe Josh? Besides the most beautiful thing that God put on this earth, I thought he was bull-headed, possessive—which I liked, and pretty sure of himself.
Also a good one. How would he describe you? I think he needs glasses, cause he said I was beautiful.
What made you choose botany for a career? It wasn't an easy thing to do, because I like a few things. Working with animals has been most fulfilling, but plants bring joy and surrounds one with incredible beauty also.
What is your biggest fear, Gabby? Not accomplishing at least one of the things that I set out to do. I want to discover a new species of plant, own a ranch with as many types of animals as I can, marry Josh and start a family of my own.
Ambitious, aren't we. How do you relax? Planting flowers, watching TV, or just making sure my Dad takes care of himself.
Who is your favorite fictional character and why? Tinker Bell. It's all about the magic.
Ain't it just so. What is the best piece of advice you ever received? Education first and everything else will fall in place. I didn't do it in that order, but things worked out anyway.
Thanks, Gabby. Based on the synopsis provided by Juanita, this looks like a fun story. Now we'd like to talk to her.
What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer and why? There's quite a few. I've always liked movies that contain magic and fantasy; Alice & Wonderland, Chronicles of Narnia, even Babe. I want to create my own characters and take them on a unique adventure if I can.
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? First I must say, that, I wish I did have an event to happen to me as it did in my novel. I'm from Louisiana, and I've been told stories about voodoo and spells since I was young. I believed most of them.
Tell me a little about your publisher, including what influenced your decision to submit to them. Class Act Books is under new management. Anita York is the new CEO. I was actually submitting at random to publishers who wanted fantasy/romance, or romantic elements in a story. So far, I think she's great. She's made me feel very welcome, she's sticking to her schedule as she promised and she has a great staff.
What project[s] are you working on now? I'm almost finished with Blood Ties, part two of It's in the Blood, and takes place seven years later. I'm also working on a paranormal mystery, and a true story. That, I don't want to disclose too much about.
What's up next for you? I want to retire as a writer. Maybe someone will like one of my stories and want to make a movie about it. So on August 15th, I'm asking all manics to go to www.classactbooks.com for a print copy of It's in the Blood, or Amazon.com for an e-book. If you like it, leave a comment on my Facebook page, the Class Act Books Facebook page, or on my website, www.thesouloffiction.com.

This has been great. To learn more about Juanita Aydlette and the stories she creates, go to:
Twitter: @Juanita Aydlette

Here's an excerpt of It's In The Blood:
A rustling of leaves in the distance brought an instant hush in the air. No monkeys chattered. No insects buzzed. Total quiet. Josh immediately grabbed my hand to keep the flashlight pointing toward the ground. The sound of twigs breaking and crunching leaves inched closer. It accompanied a low snarl. My body became rigid and he cupped his hand over my mouth just as I gasped. Yellow, glowing eyes pierced the night and moved directly toward us.
“Looks like the mountain found Mohammed,” Mike whispered.
The flashlight went off. I hurdled into the air and crashed into a patch of scratchy brush. totally blinded by the night, I whimpered and hid my face between my knees. While hearing the most extreme growls and clashing of teeth, I couldn't move. I could only pray that it would stop. Cries of pain pierced my eardrums over and over. The growling, snarling, and loud thumps sent my mind into orbit. Josh. Where are you?
Minutes later, something brushed my arm and my teeth clinched. My lungs inflated and I held my breath, only to learn that if was Chris. How on earth did she find me?
“Be quiet, we don't know how many are out there,” she said.
“Where are the guys?” My voice vibrated as I whispered.
“I don't know. Mike pushed me to the ground and told me to stay still. Then I could hear him moving away.”
“And Josh?”
“He can take care of himself. He and that lion are old enemies.”
“What?”
A sharp pain ricocheted across my temples. I put my face down again, feeling my body go into convulsive jerks. Were they trying to defend themselves against a lion? In the dark? For a brief moment, my fear became anger, then fear, then anger again.
“What is it with you, Chris? How can you be so damn calm? I'm going crazy here.”
My head spun with a menagerie of horrible visions, and my whispers turn to low, choking sobs. I pictured them being torn to pieces, then the lion, or lions, wold come back for us. Our bodies would be totally consumed and scraps of our clothing would all that was left to identify us.
The sounds of the violent fighting came to a sudden halt. The snarls became less audible and they moved quickly away. The leaves rustled in our direction. Chris and I embraced, waiting for the night stalker, waiting to feel the pain of our limbs being torn from our bodies, and our screams instantly silenced by the jaws of the mighty beasts. Even knowing death is near, I guessed it was best not to see it coming head on.
“Chris, where are you?” The voice rang musically in our ears.
“Mike?”
“Just keep talking, baby, and I'll find you.”
“Where's Josh? Is he okay?” I blurted out between sobs.
“Bruised and bitten, but he'll live, as always.”
I wailed and cried, realizing that we had escaped with our lives. Chris held me close to calm me down as my tears stung my bug-bitten cheeks.

12 comments:

  1. This book has a great deal of local African color in the details, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I really appreciate your input. It means a lot.

      Delete
  2. Juanita has a very descriptive style in her writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully in my descriptions, the reader can visualize what I'm seeing in my head.

      Delete
  3. Exciting excerpt and what an exotic setting for your novel! Best wishes for your writing future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful adventure in an exciting location! The perfect evening escape!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to visit there one day, to see some of the things that I've read about. I've learned a lot from co- workers that call Africa "Home."

      Delete
  5. Thanks for having me on your blog today. It has certainly been fun. I hope to be invited again to tell you what happens to Gabby Madsen in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great excerpt! And you certainly picked a great location for this story. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry I'm late stopping by
    Good luck and God's blessings

    ReplyDelete