Thursday, October 6, 2016

Meet Hattie, the Dancing Ghost Whisperer

          There are ghost stories. And there are ghost legends.
         From orphan to saloon girl to ghost whisperer, Hattie Hart has been and seen a lot of things in her time. Her new job as a detective with the Tremayne Psychic Specters Investigations Agency takes her out to the remote town of Carolina City, Nevada, on a vague assignment to investigate the disappearance of a US Marshal.
         Except, when she arrives, she meets the devilishly handsome Grant Madsen, a US Marshal who is alive and well. Certainly not missing, but certainly the man of her dreams. So why did her boss send her out to this small boom town when there’s nothing for her to investigate?
          She soon discovers that in Carolina City, there are strange happenings from the afterlife that threaten to kill her or worse. She’ll have to race against time to save her life, the town, and the US Marshal she was sent to find—and maybe, if she's lucky, her heart.

For the next few days, we'll have the ghost whispering Hattie visiting Wild Women Authors, along with Erin Hayes, the creator of How the Ghost Was Won. First up is Hattie.
Where are you from? St. Louis, Missouri
Tell us a bit about How the Ghost Was Won. It is the story of my adventure out to Carolina City, Nevada. I was a pretty new investigator for the Tremayne PSI Agency, so I wanted to make sure to impress Nat. Only, I got just half a telegram with my instructions. And I couldn’t understand why I was looking for a missing US marshal when I met one. It’s all strange—but that story will tell you what happened.
What did you think the first time you saw Grant Madsen? That he was handsome, of course!
Of course. And your next thought? That he was a US Marshal—and that I was looking for one! So why would my boss send me out to find someone who clearly wasn’t lost?
Yep, pretty strange. In terms of Grant, did you feel it was love at first sight?
Perhaps, but I’ve been burned by love so many times.
What do you like most about him? Grant treats me like a lady. A lot of people don’t do that because of my past.
How would you describe him? Oh, he fits all those characteristics that a woman looks for: talk, dark, handsome. And mysterious.
Well duh, mysterious is part of the attraction virus, right? How would Grant describe you? I’m sure he would describe me as feisty. I created a lot of trouble for him in Carolina City.
What made you choose so many different careers? My first career was as a saloon girl—I didn’t choose that, the lifestyle chose me. My second career was as an investigator for the Tremayne PSI Agency, and funny enough, I didn’t choose that either. The ghosts chose it for me.
What is your biggest fear? It's that my older sister won’t find peace in her afterlife. I’m a psychic investigator—if I can’t help my sister, how can I dare hope to help others?
How do you relax, Hattie? I wish I could relax. I’m always working.
Who is your favorite fictional character and why? Good question. Probably Odysseus. I know that he was fighting so hard to get home the entire story, which would be nice if I had a home to go back to.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? “Never fall in love with your work.” I wish I’d listened to that piece of advice.
Great, as we say in the writing biz, ending hook. Thanks, Hattie. Now it's Erin's turn at bat.
Which books or movies have had an impact on your writing? Star Wars, all the way. I first watched the original trilogy when I was eight, and I can remember thinking, “There’s a whole world in these movies. And someone created them.”
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? How the Ghost Was Won is a ghost story. Unfortunately, (or fortunately, depending on your point of view), I’ve never seen a ghost. Yet, I was able to draw upon my own nightmares for what transpires in the novels. There’s something unsettling about the quiet of the night in the desert that makes me imagine so many things…
Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? I self-publish, as it gives me the freedom to treat the book how I want and to have control over the final outcome. I’ve been proud of every book I put out there.
What project[s] are you working on now? Oh, boy, I have a few. A few top-secret (but I’m super excited about), a science-fiction romance, the conclusion to The Harker Trilogy, and a few contemporary romances. I never sit still for very long, much like Hattie.
What's up next for you? The next book that I’ll release is called, I’m Not Afraid of Wolves. It’s the fourth book in the Cotton Candy Quintet, and I can’t wait to share it.

If you enjoyed meeting Erin Hayes and Hattie, here's where you may learn more about this author:

Buy How the Ghost Was Won as part of The Good, The Bad, and The Ghostly here: https://www.amazon.com/Good-Bad-Ghostly-Western-Romance-ebook/dp/B01KKVK9BI/

Erin brought an excerpt for us:

In my dream, there’s a man.
I can’t see his face or any other distinguishing features on him other than the fact that he is tall and dark, and I can sense that he is handsome. My dreams don’t allow for me to get close enough to see who he is.
But I know him. He has captivated my heart and welded my soul to his. Something inside me intrinsically calls out to him, aching that he’s not close to me, skin to skin, pulse against pulse.
We’re meant to be together, in this life and in others.
I know this, and he knows this.
In my dream, we’re standing about ten yards apart on a desert landscape, me in my corset and him in his dust jacket and hat that shades his face. I don’t recognize the place, but it feels alien, like nothing could ever survive in these harsh elements.
We’re both dead.
I see the glint of his smile as he looks at me. My heart breaks and I want to help him, but something keeps me rooted to my spot.
“Find me, Hattie,” he says, his voice in my head. “Save me.”
“How?” I ask. “From what?”
But he keeps repeating those two words, echoing on and on in my mind.
“Save me. Save me.








11 comments:

  1. Loved it!
    Good luck and God's blessings
    PamT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi again Pam. Glad you liked Erin's story--it's a good 'un! thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
    2. Hi Pam,
      Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. You are the best, Anita

      Delete
  2. Hi again Wild Women, we all appreciate the terrific job you're doing at displaying our work. And as Halloween approaches, we hope your readers will find the ghosts stories they want here in this anthology.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wild Women rock. Thanks for hosting us and sharing out box set. The women and men in this book are fun, serious and down right sexy. Hattie is a real joy as the reader sees her blossom into a beautiful woman who finds happiness with the man of her dreams. Thanks again, Anita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Kat and Veronica, thank you so much for hosting the Good, The Bad and the Ghostly again. This is the month for spooky stories and this anthology will put you right in the mood. I'm happy to say there are a number of authors who worked a female agent into their stories--Erin's being one of them. Great interview and excerpt, Erin. Hattie was a memorable character.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great story, Erin. Really enjoyed it and working with you. Thank you Kat and Veronica. We appreciate you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for hosting Hattie's and everyone else's stories within The Good, The Bad, and the Ghostly. This was such a fun project! Again, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! This is certainly intriguing! I, too, write about ghosts without ever having experienced one. I rely on my sensitive friends who have for details. Best wishes for success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for stopping by, Susan. I'll look forward to reading your stories, too.

      Delete
  8. The support the TGTBTG authors offer each other is amazing. Thank you so very much for allowing us to host you all. This is a fun series; we hope it celebrates huge success!
    Kat and Veronica

    ReplyDelete