Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Meet Teagan Oliver and Only You

. . . One kiss does not a romance make, especially when that kiss happened when they were 15. But for Kara Simpson, life is difficult enough trying to keep her business afloat and her wayward brother out of trouble. The last thing she needs is interference from Nate.
. . . Helping Kara is a no-brainer for Nate Cooper. After all, isn’t that what townsfolk do? But she’s stubborn and proud and it’s going to take a whole lot of convincing if he ever wants to find out what a second kiss would be like. And he definitely wants to know.

For the next few days Wild Women Authors is pleased to have book #2 in the Welcome to Serenity Harbor anthology, Only You, and its author Teagan Oliver. Teagan brought along a hero with her: Nate Cooper who, in our usual pattern, is up first.

Where are you from, Nate? Born and raised in Serenity Harbor, Maine
Tell us a bit about Only You. Basically, it’s all about me trying to help out an old friend [whose name is Kara] and her being [too] stubborn and determined [for her own good]. But really, she has a heart of gold. She’s been taking care of her brother since their parents passed away and trying to keep her father’s trap building business running. It’s not easy, she won’t let anyone help. I just decided not to give her a choice.
Having read this terrific story, we agree. After all, that’s what conflict is all about. What did you think the first time you saw Kara? I can’t remember the first time I saw her. I’ve probably known her since we were in diapers. But I can tell you that the first time I really took a look at her was when we were 15. I kissed her on a dare and it’s like I just knew that I was never going to meet anyone like her ever again.
Well, gee. What was your second thought? That she’s stubborn, pig-headed and a pain.
We won’t get into the location of said ‘pain’. Did you feel it was love at first sight? It was certainly interest at first sight, but then at 15 you feel like that a lot. I definitely felt like there was something that changed that day. I was just too much of teenager to figure it out.
What do you like most about Kara? I like all the things that make me the most angry with her: unfailing loyalty, determination to see things through and her refusal to admit that there isn’t anything she can’t do.
Sounds like quite a woman. How would you describe her? Same as above, only I’d add beautiful to the mix. She’s not someone who worries about looking like everyone else. She just is who she is.
How would Kara describe you? I don’t think we have enough space for that. Plus, this might be a younger crowd that doesn’t need to hear all things she calls me. Suffice it to say, I’m wearing her down when it comes to me.
What made you choose running the ferry for a career? I went to Maine Maritime, just like my second in command, Sam. I knew that I wanted to stay here in Serenity Harbor. But you can’t make it without a purpose. I just found my purpose in helping others get to their destination, and delivering groceries and mail.
What is your biggest fear? I fear having to leave here because I can’t survive here. There are far too many young people who have to leave Maine to find work.
How do you relax? I order pizza and watch basketball a lot during the winter months when it goes slow. During the summer I don’t have much time to relax.
Who is your favorite fictional character and why? Batman, of course. I’ve loved comics since I was a kid. He always had a cool car and a mask to hide his identity. I still want to be Batman.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? My mother shared with me some of the hardships of her relationship with my dad. I guess the best advice she gave me was that if I love someone I shouldn’t give up when things get tough.
A ferryman with a heart of gold and a huge soft spot for others in need. Thanks, Nate. Now it’s Teagan’s turn at bat.
What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer and why? Hey, thanks for asking. Every book and every movie have an impact on my writing. I take bits and pieces from all of it. And really, when you are feeling down, what’s better than a romance to lift you back up?
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? I work with people every day who make their living from the ocean. I also grew up in very small fishing village, just like Serenity. It gave me a great understanding of how dangerous the life can be and how much that kind of community means to each other.
Tell us a bit about your publisher: how did you hear about them and what influenced your decision to submit to them? I’ve been traditionally published in the past, but for the last few years I’ve been publishing on my own.
What project[s] are you working on now? I have a sequel to my Stealing Darkness series, called Stealing Thunder. And Nate’s second in command, Sam gets his own story soon. Just working out the details.
What's up next for you? I’ll be working out the details of the coming holidays and trying to find time to get the writing in. As much as I love Christmas, I’m just as happy when it’s over and I can go back to writing more.
If anyone is interested in hearing more about the characters that populate Serenity Harbor, or any of my other books, you can head on over to http://www.teaganoliverauthor.com or you can catch me on Facebook (probably playing Farm Saga) at http://www.facebook.com/teaganoliver

Thank you to Kat for letting me hop on over here today! I really appreciate all that she does! And Happy Holidays to everyone!
To purchase Welcome to Serenity Harbor: A Pine Tree State of Mind, go to www.Amazon.com and do a search with the title. The book is available both in print and electronically.







18 comments:

  1. Thanks for inviting Nate and I over to your blog today! Hope he didn't get too mouthy! He's such a guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to meet you Teagan! Loved Nate's interview, tells it like it is. I like a man that knows his own mind. LOL Best of luck with your series! Adding it to my read list for after the holidays. Gotta read holiday tales first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you for the nice comments. Yup, Nate tells it like it is. While writing his and Kara's story I kept commenting "he's such a guy". Maybe because I'm almost surrounded by them at home. :) Thanks again!

      Delete
    2. Hi, Tena!
      thanks so much for stopping by. This is such a sweet, fun story to read. Hope you enjoy it over the holidays
      Best, Kat

      Delete
  3. Nice to hear from a male protag, especially in the romance genre. Maine is a rugged and beautiful state--perfect setting for your characters, it seems. Best wishes for success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words. You are right when you say that Maine is just right for this kind of character. We have a lot of characters!

      Delete
    2. Hi, Susan
      thanks so much for stopping by. Maine is as rugged as Nate and most of the other male protagonists. This is a fun anthology, one we know you'll enjoy.
      Kat

      Delete
  4. So cool to see Teagan in print!! I met her at the MWRA conference a couple years ago. Congratulation!!! Nate sounds like a keeper :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for remembering C.T.! Wow! You have a great memory!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for stopping by, Cate. This is a great series. We know it's one you'd enjoy knowing how much you love the Maine coast.
      Kat

      Delete
  5. *sigh* Nate sounds like my kind of hero! I can't wait to read his story! Best of luck with this amazing anthology!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Nina
      thanks for stopping by. Nate is such a hunk. We fell for him immediately.
      Kat

      Delete
  6. Great interview with your hero. He sounds totally lickable. Can't wait to read that story. And all of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Susan! He was a lot of fun to write. Pretty much told me how it was going to go. I love those stories!

      Delete
    2. Hi, Susan
      thanks so much for stopping by. Yep, Nate is all that and more. Hope you like the anthology.
      Kat

      Delete
  7. I loved your story, Teagan. Both the hero and the heroine. She's strong-willed and doesn't want help. And he's determined to give her help and get it right this time. I really felt like I was hanging out at the waterfront when I read your story. Can't wait for Sam's book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Delsora
      I agree with the waterfront scenes. It felt like I was right there. Teagan did a great job with descriptions. Glad you like the stories.
      Kat

      Delete
  8. Love the interview! The rest of these stories in the anthology are next on my to-read list. Can't wait to read Teagan's story!

    ReplyDelete