Thursday, November 17, 2016

Meet YA Author Meg Kassel and Only This Kiss

. . . Senior year is a miserable time to switch schools, but Ashley Whittaker-Sloane is determined to make the best of her abrupt move to Serenity Harbor. She wants only to finish school attend college to pursue fashion design, but when gorgeous musician, Tyler Fitzsimmons, comes to her aid in a hallway altercation, Ashley finds herself crushing on the hunky rocker.
. . .Tyler can barely keep his eyes off Ashley, but what could the poor, son of the town drunk possibly offer a rich girl from an oceanfront mansion? He is sure Ashley would be disgusted to learn the truth he goes to lengths to keep hidden. When Tyler is forced to confront his past and secrets are exposed on both sides, Ashley and Tyler will either trust themselves and each other, or return to their different worlds.

Wild Women Authors welcomes Meg Kassel, author of Only This Kiss, and Tyler Fitzsimmons. After you read this interview it will come as no surprise when we tell you Meg took home 2016’s Golden Heart for YA [another story]. This is a truly beautiful story and a sterling addition to the Welcome to Serenity Harbor anthology. First up is Tyler.
Where are you from? Here. Serenity Harbor.
Tell us a bit about Only This Kiss. It’s a cool story.
Okay, let’s try this to get you to open up a little. What did you think the first time you saw Ashley Whittaker-Sloane? You mean Patches? I thought she was hot. And it pissed me off to see my ex-girlfriend harassing her in the hall. I had to put a stop to that. 
Excellent. What did you think next? That I didn’t have a shot in hell with her.
Was it love at first sight? Ha, no. I didn’t even entertain the thought. She’s class, I’m trash. End of story. Except, it wasn’t.
What do you like most about her? I have to pick one thing?
How would you describe Patches? Gorgeous. Tall, nice hair. She smells really nice.
How would she describe you? Hell. I have no idea. I’m still trying to figure out what she sees in me.
What made you choose music for a career? Hey, I’m still finishing high school here. But I love playing in a band and writing songs. I’ll always be involved with music.
What is your biggest fear? That I’ll turn out like my father.
How do you relax? I’m always relaxed.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? Whenever possible, don’t be an asshole.
Tyler, you’re killing us. An open invitation: there’s a couch in my house [in case you ever need one] with your name on it. Now, it’s Meg’s turn at bat.
What movies or books have had an impact on your career as a writer and why? Madeline L’Engle’s Wrinkle In Time and Robin McKinley’s Beauty left a lasting impact on me. I’ve read them both countless times and cemented my love of writing for teens. Adventure, first love, discovering who you are––it’s what I write and read.
What event in your private life were you able to bring to this story and how do you feel it impacted the novel? I am lucky to have decent parents, but I’ve had friends who did not. I know no women who haven’t experienced sexual harassment or some form of abuse in their lives, including myself. This is not a story about putting the hurt you suffer behind you and saying you’re fine and over it, but of acknowledging damage and knowing you are worthy of greatness, success, love. It’s always all about love.
What project are you working on now? My current work in progress is a paranormal YA that involves Scandinavian folklore and trolls and magic.
What’s up next for you? My debut novel, Black Bird of the Gallows comes out September of 2017 from Entangled TEEN.

To contact Meg Kassel, go to:
Twitter: @m_kassel

To purchase Welcome to Serenity Harbor: a Pine Tree State of Mind, go to:
www.Amazon.com and input the title in the search box.

6 comments:

  1. Good interview. I also write YA occasionally and find it a challenge that is so rewarding. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed the interview. Hope you have great sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katherine
      we appreciate your support of this effort
      Kat

      Delete
  3. Meg - I so loved your story. It took me back to the angst of high school and the beauty of first love. I cried sad tears and happy tears - to me a sign of an excellent story. I can't wait to read your next books. Congrats on your Golden Heart win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right there with you, Delsora. I could hear those clanging locker doors and feel the angst among the cafeteria cliques. Meg has a real talent for telling a story.
      kat

      Delete